NAMIBIA: Hunting with Eitaalo Hunting Safaris


New member
Jun 13, 2011
Reaction score
Hunting reports
I was lucky enough to be on my first PH guided hunt during September last year. There was still a little bite in the air as we left the comfort of the chalets on the back of André's hunting cruiser. The day was just breaking towards the east with the cruiser slowly finding its way along the sandy tracks towards our hunting grounds for the day. Not far from the lodge we drove past a herd of Blue Wildebeest still lazy-stiff in the pre-dawn air. We were out looking for zebra and a special bull Wildebeest towards the west of the lodge. The beginning of a perfect day it was.

On the back of the truck in the now rapidly breaking light, my nephew from South Africa was hugging my old .30-06. I bought the gun from a friend many years ago and a local gunsmith 'roughly' rebuilt it for me way back. It is not an oil painting but it sure shoots straight! Leon is a Namibian by birth but work commitments took him south a long time ago. This hunt was a sort of homecoming for him since he has not hunted here for 25 years. We had the .30-06 loaded up with 200gr Norma Oryx's and topped with a Lynx 3-9X40 scope.

I was holding on to my fairly new Sauer 90 in .375 H&H with which I have not hunted more than three times before. We were still getting to know each other but I had a good feeling about this hunt. On the first hunt out with the .375 I took my first blue Wildebeest. For some reason I was not completely at ease with the rifle and the performance on the gnu left a little to be desired. I normally hunt kudu with my .30-06 and never had any issues on performance. Be that as it may, I was looking forward to the day ahead and the 300gr PMP African Elites in the rifle gave me confidence. The rifle was scoped with a sweet Swarovski Z6 1.7-10X42.

We were not out looking for trophies in the real sense of the word but rather gathering some meat to dry in the rapidly ending winter. As such Andre offered us Oryx, Red Hartebeest, Blue Wildebeest and Kudu if we could find them. I was also looking for a zebra skin.

As we approached the area where Andre know a decent sized wildebeest bull was holding with two mates. He was keen for me to have a look at this bull because it has outwitted him on many occasions before. We stopped from time to time to glass the vast open plains but to no avail.


Leon and Andre setting off trying to catch them a Hartebeest!
Hartbeest 1/Team 0

Leon took a sneak up to a herd of Hartebeest but they were extremely wary of his intend! Huffing and puffing, him and Andre returned to the cruiser after an hour of stalking without success. Being out in the bush was absolutely divine and before long the heat of day caught up with us fully and we decided to call it a day until the afternoon. We slowly made our way back to the lodge past a herd of Springbok in the distance. The cool thatch of the lodge and the chalets offered a welcome respite from the midday heat. After a light lunch I took the liberty of a power nap in my chalet before we headed out again two hours later.


No need for the heat to get the better of you with such amenities around!

Feeling refreshed and eager to be back on the spoor soon, we left camp and turned towards the east of the farm in our quest to find the right animal. At a watering dam halfway to our hunting grounds, we stopped just in time to see a huge swart mamba slither away and into the safety of an aardvark hole under the bushes close by. I made a mental note to not return that way for the rest of the days on site!

We were driving up a sandy track towards the sun slowly setting in the west when we saw a herd of Oryx grazing in the distance. We still had enough light left and Andre and I jumped of the cruiser whilst it continued up the track. The Oryx has spotted us and was steadily walking away from us and over the ridge of the sand dune. We had a good distance to walk with lots of broken cover to reach the crest where we last saw them. Thanks to André’s knowledge of the area and the animals, we were indeed able to catch up with them within an hour of tracking. Had I been alone, I still would have been on that track now!

It was amazing to quietly ‘settle in’ amongst them without them being any the wiser of our presence. This is always the best part of the hunt for me; getting up close! With my relatively poor eyesight, I prefer to take shorter shots rather than long ones. We spotted a fair sized bull somewhat on his own and Andre decided that we should move in on him. With my luck, the little shrubbery that so eloquently assisted in hiding my relative bulk all but disappeared! Such luck! The last 20 minutes was a painful exercise in playing the contortionist until we reached a distance I was comfortable with. Andre brought out the shooting sticks and I slid the 375 into position. Somehow the Oryx jump in my eye as the scope setting was on full magnification! So much for being prepared. A quick adjustment and all was well. A careful few more moments to savour before the shot rang out to surprise even me. I knew it was a good shot when I heard it struck home. The Oryx tumbled over without know what hit him.


Fresh meat for the fire tonight!

The whole operation took a little longer than anticipated but the setting sun gave us just enough time to load the Oryx and break out something cold to celebrate the first blood of the trip.
It was good to be in the African bush.




  • 015.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 184
  • 019.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 102.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 188.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 196
Nice story and pics, thanks for sharing.
Congrats, thats sure a well worn old bull there.
The next couple of days all flowed into one and too soon it was all over. But while it lasted, we had major fun.

Leon dropped a Wildebeest with a perfect shot which restored his confidence after a one horned Oryx put up a fight when he did not place the first shot properly. He had a long sweaty walk behind a very stubborn Oryx one afternoon. He somehow pulled a bad shot on the Oryx and although fatally wounded, it did not go down immediately. Starting after it, the animal seemed to revive itself a little and it took another two shots from him and Andre to get it down. They were both fairly well buggered when we caught up with them quite a distance from where it all started! We are all just to glad that they caught up with the Oryx. Having a wounded animal out there is an absolute painful experience.


Leon(right) and Andre with his hard earned Oryx


Another tough day in Africa comes to an end


Hors d'oeuvre - Andre understand meat

My zebra was particularly memorable as we were on the spoor for at least two hours after we left the truck. We quickly lost the original quarry in the thick thorn bush but continued to follow the general direction until we picked up another small herd about an hour later. We glassed them from a distance and found a good stallion amongst them. We were in a field of tall yellow thatching grass as the game of cat and mouse stalking began. Once or twice the stallion sensed our presence and move his small herd off and out of harm's way. Progress became very slow as we crept closer all the time. When the stallion got spooked again and ran off, Andre called the shot at about 200m and had the shooting sticks up in an instance. I had to let the adrenalin subside a little before I squeezed the trigger sending the Swift A bullet down range. I heard the impact clearly and saw the horse jump high on his hind legs. As spectacular as it was, I was all of a sudden not so sure of my shot. I was ready to go immediately but Andre stopped me when I wanted to take another shot. He was sure of my shot and could see the damage through his binoculars as the zebra struggled to stay on its feet. It was turning and turning swiftly around in small circles on its hind legs for which felt like an eternity. With a desperate dash of last energy it ran off but stumbled to the ground just as my senses told me to override Andre's last command! The .375 did a perfect job and the zebra was dead the instant the bullet struck! It was as always an amazing experience and honour to sit next to such a magnificent animal where it fell to the ground...


Andre prepping the stallion for a photoshoot


Beautiful stallion


On the way home after a long day hunting

The one afternoon it was me and the shrewd old Wildebeest bull in the west! There was not a lot of cover in that part of the woods and trying to be inconspicuous with my 300 lb and 6'4 is hard work! Nonetheless with Andre's insistent urging for me to get closer to the ground and move faster forward, we got to about 250m from the bull when I took a shot. The shot was on the money but somehow the bull did not worry too much about it. Luckily after a short run it presented the same flank at a better angle and I place the second bullet within two inches from the first.


Nobody was more surprised than myself with the shots over this distance!

This time the bull was convinced that it was over and it staggered off while we were trying to catch up as quick as possible. It dropped to the ground as we came close and I gave it an insurance shot in the neck. It is hard to try and describe the absolute rush I experienced during this particular hunt. It was just good....


Me and my Wildebeest


Another Oryx


  • 035.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 047.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 097.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 170.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 220.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 230.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0621.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0632.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 213
I jumped in between your update.
I liked the first part and was about to ask for more when it appeared..

Thanks for posting your story and pictures...
I feel the same way about the zebra! It's exciting to hunt!
Thanks for an exiting story. Some trophies with character there!
Thanks for the story, you surely enjoyed it !
Thanks for the Hunting report and Great Pictures Glad you had a great hunt.
Very nice. Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of hunts that take our breath away.
Great story.... I love the pictures!!!
My wife and I just came back from a wonderful hunt with Eitaalo 8/20/2013-8/26/2013.
Andre & his wife Anel were the perfect hosts.
Andre was a great guide and teacher which was especially important to us as we have never hunted this type of game or in Africa before.
He worked us hard but it was worth it!!!

I took the following: Zebra, Black Wildebeest, Eland, Steenbok, Warthog, Springbok & Kudu.
My wife: Oryx, Blue Wildebeest & Red Hartebeest.
My wife and I just came back from a wonderful hunt with Eitaalo 8/20/2013-8/26/2013.
Andre & his wife Anel were the perfect hosts.
Andre was a great guide and teacher which was especially important to us as we have never hunted this type of game or in Africa before.
He worked us hard but it was worth it!!!

I took the following: Zebra, Black Wildebeest, Eland, Steenbok, Warthog, Springbok & Kudu.
My wife: Oryx, Blue Wildebeest & Red Hartebeest.

Super! Love to see some pictures. Congratulations.

Forum statistics

Latest member



Latest profile posts

BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on gpiccs94's profile.
You are welcome to join our family at Blaauwkrantz in February. We have been hosting international hunters since 1978 and known to be the best kudu hunting in the world! we are based on our 100 000 acre ranch, an hours drive from the Port Elizabeth airport. Please email me on
CrippledEagle wrote on 7MAG's profile.
Good morning 7MAG. I have a NEW, never mounted, Leupold M8-4X Extended Eye Relief scope that I will sell you for $325 shipped to you. I was a Leupold rep for 12 years and this was always our preferred mounting for a lever gun, scout rifle style.
DLSJR wrote on Will Clark's profile.
You’ve got an interesting screen name. Will the Thrill provided lots of great times for me as a lifelong Giants fan. Even though I never met him, a number of buddies either duck hunted or shared a dugout with him. He’s a great guy according to those guys. Cool screen name and if that’s your real name, it’s a great one.
in-between all the bush fire, hunting and work on the hunting area its hard to find time for fishing as well
JOHNNY30 wrote on krish's profile.
is the 505 gibbs still for sell? Thanks!