NAMIBIA: Hunting In The Kalahari With Omuramba

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by Adrian, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Adrian

Adrian AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    England year round and Namibia x5.
    Outfitter: Omuramba Hunting Lodge.
    Owner: Gert Koekemoer.
    PH: Anthea Langner.
    Tracker: Jakob.
    Driver: Agarob.
    Rifle: Mauser M12 in 30-06.
    Scope: Meopta Meostar 4-12x40.
    Bullets: Norma Oryx 180gr.

Back in January I decided I would be able to afford another trip to Namibia to hunt so I began the process of finding somewhere. I had enjoyed three previous hunts with Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris but now it was time to go somewhere different, hunt different animals and experience new places and new people.

I prefer to go off the beaten track somewhat and shy away from the regular outfitters that have been visited and reported upon many times. I wanted a family run operation where I could stay on the farm and hunt their land with the family and enjoy the hunting experience and adventures that would come my way.
    I'm not anti social, I just prefer my hunting to be a personal journey so when I found Omuramba they offered exactly what I was looking for, hunting on their farm, staying with the family, only one hunter or group of hunters at a time so I would have the place to myself plus the location was new, the animals found there were new and the prices were very fair.

So after an exchange of emails with Anthea I was booked up and on September 25th I found myself at Heathrow and on my way back to Namibia.
    I flew from Heathrow to Johannesburg to Windhoek. All of my flights were with South African Airways, something I will always do because there is no charge for firearms or excess baggage with them.
    My bags were checked straight through to Windhoek which avoids any issues with South African authorities.

Landing in Windhoek on the 26th I made my way to the arrivals hall to queue for immigration. Last year it took over two hours so I was pleasantly relieved to be through in just over an hour and my guns and luggage were all there too.

I knew Anthea`s father Gert would be waiting for me and he found me easily and we set off for the drive to Omuramba. It would take a few hours so we headed east towards Botswana until we came to Gobabis where we stopped to pick up Gert`s wife Johanna and a trailer of supplies. Being 130km from the town you need to plan well to make sure you have everything.

A quick stop for lunch and we were on our way once again and it was late afternoon when we arrived at Omuramba Hunting Lodge.
    DSC_0364.JPG DSC_0365.JPG

DSC_0692.JPG DSC_0693.JPG

Anthea was there to greet and hand out much welcome welcome drinks. We chatted while these were consumed and I was shown to my room and I could make myself at home.
    While there was still some light in the day I got my rifle, attached the scope and we headed to the range which is situated right outside the gate to make sure everything was in order so we could start hunting first thing in the morning.
    All was in order, and we agreed no adjustment to the scope was necessary so it was time for a much needed shower and change of clothes before dinner.

Katrina the chef provided a great meal of soup followed by Wildebeest schnitzel. I would find out over the next week that my waistline would increase quite dramatically..........

And so with arrangements in place to meet for breakfast the following morning at 06:00 I could finally retire to my bed for a good night's sleep.

Dr Ray, Wheels, Ridgewalker and 5 others like this.

2. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Sounds like this has the makings of an enjoyable hunt. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Adrian likes this.

3. Adrian

Adrian AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Day 1.

The morning came around all too soon. My alarm went off at 05:30 so I got up, washed and dressed and went outside to take in the morning as Africa awoke. At 06:00 Anthea arrived from her house just down the track and we sat down to breakfast with Gert.
    Breakfast would follow the same pattern for the rest of the week. Katrina would prepare either fried or scrambled eggs, bacon and sausages of varying types. There was also cold meats, cheese and bread. Tea and coffee was freely available as well as fruit juice.

At half past six or thereabouts we were ready to go so I grabbed my rifle, binoculars, cap, jacket and lightweight rucksack containing my camera, spare lens and other odds and sods.

I went out and found Anthea with Jakob the Bushman tracker and Agarob the driver who is also a Bushman, they had the hunting car ready to go so we mounted up and we headed off.

Omuramba is 20,000 acres, 4000 of which is fenced. Because it is a cattle and sheep farm the Wildebeest have to be kept separate from the cattle areas to prevent the herd from potentially catching bovine malignant catarrhal fever so there is some hunting behind fences. I had never hunted behind a fence so I was intrigued to discover how this would be.

My list of species I was interested in hunting was fairly fluid. I had never hunted or even seen a Blesbok so that was one animal, I was also interested in Burchell's Zebra, Impala, Steenbok, Duiker and I also enjoyed hunting Springbok last year so was keen to do it again. There was also Eland and Kudu on the farm so perhaps there might be time and money to look for those too. But to be honest, I was just happy to be back in Namibia and be hunting.

A short drive and we entered the fenced area. The ground is what I would describe as flat although it is actually rolling dunes covered with grass, Camel thorn and the shorter variety 'wait a bit' bushes with those wicked hooked cat's claw thorns that I'm everyone is familiar with.
    The hunting area was sectioned into blocks with tracks separating each one in a grid pattern. We would drive up and down the tracks looking for game and then setting off on foot.

DSC_0358.JPG

It was great to see so much game on the ground, that first morning I saw Steenbok, Duiker, Red Hartebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Burchell's Zebra, Gemsbok, Eland, Kudu, Giraffe, Springbok and Blesbok.

We had a drive around slowly to see what was about and after a time we dismounted the car and set off into the bush, Jakob would take the lead, Anthea after him and me bringing up the rear.

The Zebra were about so we looked for them but they were spooky. All we were offered was a glimpse through the bush or the sound of Wildebeest hooves and the sight of dust clouds as unseen animals gave away our approach.

It was much different hunting than what I had previously experienced. In the Highlands it was about spotting game and stalking in using the uneven terrain to get within range. You could also use high ground to your advantage and sit and watch the movements of animals and setting off to intercept.
    Here, we were on the same level as the game, the wind had to be right, footsteps had to be silent and eyes sharp.
    Underfoot the soft sand made silent movement easy but there would always be a twig or dry leaf at the wrong moment.

The sun climbed ever higher, the temperature rose and we were still stalking through the bush. We could not get close to the Zebra or anything else that morning but for me it was still immensely enjoyable and I was loving it.

We stalked for a few hours and covered 11.5km before coming out of the bush to the edge of a plain. Ahead a group of Blesbok were maybe 80m away and unsure of the shapes that had materialised just inside the bush.
    Jakob had the sticks up so I chambered a round and flipped up the scope covers and readied myself for a shot if the opportunity came.
    The Blesbok started to run off to our right but for some reason they turned and came back into the open again and a few, perhaps four stopped and looked in our direction.

Anthea whispered to take the one to the right hand side and I confirmed it back to her. The Blesbok was stood standing facing me with a slight quartering angle so I aimed to slot the bullet in between the neck and shoulder.
    The safety off I squeezed off the round and I heard the satisfying thwack of the round hitting home and as I reloaded I saw the Blesbok drop on the spot.

It's always a relief to take an animal cleanly and for it to be dead before it hits the ground but more of a relief in front of a new audience who no doubt were wondering about their new client's ability to shoot straight. Thankfully it was all good and handshakes and hugs were exchanged before I made my rifle safe and we approached the downed Blesbok.
    This was my first so I enjoyed the inspection of my bullet placement and of the horns that I had never held before.
    The bullet had gone exactly where I wanted it to and the bulge under the skin on the far side of the animal told me where it had ended up.

Jakob had called Agarob in the car and he soon arrived as we set up the Blesbok for photos. Jakob took a Guinea Fowl feather from the truck and it was dipped in the blood and presented to me to wear in my cap, a tradition at Omuramba.

DSC_0349.JPG

The hunting team, Agarob, Anthea and Jakob. You can see the bullet under the skin just above the turret on my scope.

DSC_0356.JPG

Once loaded onto the hunting car we went back to the lodge for a beer and as time had progressed it was also lunch time too with more great food.

To be continued.....

Dr Ray, MAdcox and Lbarr265 like this.

4. Adrian

Adrian AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    After lunch I had a few hours free until we would meet at 16:00 to hunt again. I relaxed under the lapa in the breeze that blows right through, had a snooze and then a swim in the pool just yards from my door. It is a very pleasant place to relax and enjoy the chattering of the birds both wild and caged that Gert keeps around the garden and the soothing sound of running water from the water feature under the thatched roof.

DSC_0682.JPG
    DSC_0684.JPG
    DSC_0685.JPG DSC_0687.JPG DSC_0689.JPG DSC_0690.JPG
    16:00 came around and once more we set off to see what we could find. Still hunting within the fenced area but in a different part we looked for Impala and walked and stalked some more this afternoon.

Walking and stalking was my preference and I had made it clear that this was what I wanted. I figure as long as I'm still fit and able to walk I will do so. There are blinds set up around the farm for those who prefer this or want to bow hunt but it's just not for me unless it's culling, vermin control or meat hunting.

After a few kilometres we came out onto a track and as we appeared some Impala ewes crossed just down to our right so Jakob set up the sticks just in case a shootable ram came along.

As my concentration was in one direction I became aware of an animated whispered conversation behind me. Anthea and Jakob were looking in the opposite direction up the track and as I peered to see what they were discussing I could see a couple of Springbok. I had no idea what it was they were talking about so I turned my attention back to a possible Impala.

Then I heard Anthea laughing quietly and shaking her head. I made sure my fly was done up before I enquired as to the nature of the joke.
    She said there is a massive Springbok up there, one that she had never seen before and of a size she hadn't seen for many years and the laughter was of disbelief that it should suddenly appear from nowhere.

I was immediately interested so I forgot the Impala and raised my binoculars. I'm no Springbok expert but even I could see it was a big one.
    I asked half jokingly if it was a good one to take and Anthea informed me that if it was her, she would be taking it.
    To avoid any wrestling over my rifle I said I would so it was ranged at 238m.

Not entirely comfortable at risking such an animal at that range we crossed the track and made our way along the edge, just inside the bush and out of sight of the big ram. We emerged at 198m which was much better.

The ram was head down facing to my left and the chest area partially obscured by some brush so whispered "wait"s were coming in my direction. Eventually the ram looked up and turned to head towards us and quartering to my right.

A little worried it would disappear into the bush on the same side of the track we were on I held my aim slightly high and fired.

I was rewarded with the sound of a hit and the ram collapsed on the spot and kicked. I could see blood on it's back so I reloaded and asked if I should fire again. Anthea said to wait and we would approach to see what the situation was.
    I had held slightly too high and my bullet had entered along the spine anchoring it so Jakob inserted his knife just behind the head and it was over swiftly and I could admire a magnificent Springbok ram.

I was in awe of the ram I had just taken. A mature specimen with a big set of horns. I was made up and very pleased with the hunt and the unexpected opportunity that had presented itself.
    It is true, take what Africa offers you and make the most of your luck while it is with you.
    Here I was with a Springbok you would have to go a long way to find better that had just been in the right place at the right time.
    We set him up for some photos and the sun set upon my first day at Omuramba.

DSC_0362.JPG
    DSC_0365.JPG DSC_0370.JPG DSC_0371.JPG
    Back at the lodge the ram was unloaded and the skinners made short work of preparing him before I retired for a shower and then a celebratory cold one before dinner and then bed.

To be continued.....

Iwannahunt, CAustin, Dr Ray and 9 others like this.

5. Adrian

Adrian AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Day 2.

The sky was brightening away to the east as night turned to day and I made my way to the dining area at 06:00 for breakfast.
    Once we had eaten I grabbed my gear and we set out again into the bush.
    We would head back to the area we hunted yesterday morning to look for the Zebra and see if we could find them, stalk them and hopefully be in a position for a shot.
    We drove up and down the tracks trying to get the wind right so if they were spotted we could plan a stalk. The Zebra were there alright but again,this morning they were incredibly skittish and we dismounted the hunting car several times only for the wind, other animals (especially the bloody Wildebeest) to ruin our advance.

8kms were covered that morning, we were at it for hours and after our hunt the day previously it was almost personal. The challenge was on and somehow we would outwit the wily Zebra. I never knew how many there were, maybe about ten in the group and as anyone who has hunted Zebra on foot will know, seeing them in the thick bush is for the eyes of someone far better than myself so I gave up trying to spot and concentrated on following in Anthea and Jakob's footprints.

It was getting hot now and a change of plan was needed.

Jakob got off the truck, got a bottle of water and headed off alone into the bush. We drove on and Anthea explained that Jakob would try and locate the Zebra and find out which way they were headed while we would drive ahead of them, get off the truck and walk quietly into a potential ambush point and maybe have a chance at a shot.

Agarob stopped the vehicle at a crossroads in the bush and Anthea and I got off, she had the sticks and we quietly stalked up one of the tracks until we reached the shade of a tree. The sticks went up and I checked to make sure I had a comfortable position to shoot in both directions. We had no way of knowing if the Zebra would appear to our left or right or even if they would at all and my shot would have to be quick and instinctive unless an animal came out of the bush as stood for me.
    I chambered a round, flipped the scope covers up and we waited.

The radio call came through that the Zebra had turned again and had made off in the opposite direction so I made the rifle safe and Agarob came to collect us. We tried again in a different area with the same result.

Anthea decided we would try one last time before we headed back for lunch. It was now nearly midday and it was hot.

So once more we were dropped off and we waited in the shade of a camel thorn tree. Again, I made the rifle ready and waited with it on the sticks, checking my field of fire in each direction up and down the track.

The familiar radio call came through that the Zebra had gone away from us so I cleared the rifle, replaced the bullet in the magazine, closed the scope covers and slung it over my shoulder and we chatted while we waited for our lift.

No sooner than I had done this we heard movement in the bush ahead of us and to our right across the track and at the same time the sight of striped hide running through the brush.

All at the same time Anthea said get ready while I reloaded the rifle, got the scope covers up and got on the sticks in what felt like one movement. I can't remember the last time I moved that fast.

Suddenly there were Zebra on the edge of the track led by a noticeably larger one, Anthea said take the first one which was lucky because that was the one I had in my sights.
    The rest of the group came through obscuring my shot until they passed by and the Zebra was clear. Anthea was making noises to try and stop them which afterwards led to a lot of amusement.

Anyway, I had a good shot on the animal but as I squeezed the trigger it started to run after the departing group so I adjusted slightly and gave it some lead aiming to the front edge of the shoulder.

The shot went off and I heard the hit and to my amazement (I probably shouldn't say I was amazed I hit what I aimed at but that's how it felt) I saw the Zebra drop on the spot on the edge of the track in a cloud of dust and sand.
    I reloaded instinctively and aimed again. I asked Anthea if I should shoot once more but she said to wait and get closer to see if it needed a second shot.

We approached the downed animal and it was kicking but evermore feeble and the Zebra passed away there and then.

The handshakes and hugs were of relief and acknowledgement of a job well done, the culmination of a successful hunt and that we had outsmarted the Zebra even though a certain amount of luck was involved which makes me wonder, is it better to be a good hunter or a lucky one.......?
    Probably both but today just as yesterday the luck was with me and I accepted it.

I was interested to see where my shot had hit. I examined the front half of the animal but could see no wound.
    I looked further back and was surprised to see just where my shot had landed. It was well beyond the halfway line, I should've given it more lead.
    However what was amazing was the single shot in the back half of the Zebra had killed it within seconds. I could see it had dropped due to the spine being hit and paralysed it but it had died from the shot.
    I had no problem with that as a single shot and quick death is what we strive for but with the emphasis put upon shot placement, to see an large animal die from what otherwise could be considered a poorly placed shot if it was standing broadside was the subject for debate, eventually coming to the conclusion that the kidneys had been hit but the expanding bullet as it deflected off the spine. The bullet was a clean pass through, the exit being slightly further back than the entrance.

In the photos below you can see the entry hole in the white stripe half way between the ocular end of the scope and the top of the back.

DSC_0388.JPG DSC_0392.JPG DSC_0399.JPG DSC_0400.JPG DSC_0401.JPG

So, my first driven Zebra hunt and what a result! Agarob brought the hunting car, Jakob just appeared from the bush, no idea how he managed to arrive at the exact same point that we were but he possessed the Bushman magic that I won't even try to understand, just accept and marvel at it throughout the coming week and we loaded the old mare onto the back of the vehicle. Or to be more accurate I took some photos and it was done very quickly. I just had time to help shut the tailgate.

DSC_0402.JPG

Back to the ranch and in time for another superb meal followed by some time to relax and reflect before setting out again later.

To be continued......

brandondd24, Lbarr265, Joe P and 2 others like this.

6. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    Ride the wave of luck....
    Congrats.

Adrian likes this.

7. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Adrian, I realize that sometimes certain facts are overlooked. However not in this case, I'd be remiss by not stating that Anthea is a lot better looking than any PH I've ever had!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: So far the story and pics are living up to my expectations.

Adrian likes this.

8. Adrian

Adrian AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Day 2 continued.....

After lunch I retired to my room for a short sleep and I hoped to go for a refreshing swim before the afternoon outing.
    I developed a banging headache so slept longer than I wanted and when I awoke my head was still thumping.
    I took a couple of Panadol to relieve the aching and as I laced up my Courteneys and adjusted the gaiters over them I became aware of just how hot it had become, my hunting shirt was soaking so I changed it and had a cold wash.
    I am used to breathing the humid, thick fug of English air and the change in environment and the fresh clean air often gives me a headache which I knew would soon pass.

Standing on the back of the hunting car, the breeze dried the sweat from my shirt and cleared my head so after a few minutes I was feeling good again and looking forward to what the afternoon might bring.

Agarob drove us in a different direction this afternoon, out the back side of the lodge and across some wide open flat land with the inevitable acacia trees spaced out under which Springbok, Blesbok and the occasional Warthog could be seen.

DSC_0404.JPG

We reached a series of gates and kraals and Jakob jumped down and opened them up so we could pass through and on into the bush.
    The clouds were building this afternoon and the atmosphere was heavy, the threat of rain seemed to be imminent with one horizon completely grey.

DSC_0405.JPG
    The fences here were just low cattle fences which prohibits the movement of cattle but enables game to pass through freely.
    The spaces between the blocks of bush were wider and in some cases wide enough for water reservoirs and the grass growing between the fences to be harvested as fodder for the sheep and cattle on the farm.
    The colour of the sand varied from almost white, to beige and brown to the wonderful deep red associated with Namibia.

DSC_0406.JPG DSC_0407.JPG
    The clouds in the distance promised much but delivered little to our part of the world. The sun came out and the red sand glowed.

We left Agarob with the truck and proceeded on foot along the fence lines hoping to find something feeding on the edge of the bush or in the wider grassy stretches.
    After what seemed like a short walk we encountered a pair of Steenbok. One was a ram and a good, mature animal that would be a suitable target.
    Jakob got the sticks up and i made ready, watching through the scope as the little antelope wandered through the brush, always preventing a shot.
    After a few minutes he came out and presented a broadside shot and I flicked the safety forward, steadied myself, aimed and fired.
    The ram dropped to the shot but I could see the shot was a little high so we crossed the distance and Jakob used his knife to finish things quickly.
    It was a lovely little animal, my first of the 'tiny ten' and I admired him in the setting sunlight, his jet black horns contrasting nicely with the colour of his fur and matching the blackness of his eyes, the markings in his ears and the black of his nose.
    DSC_0410.JPG
    DSC_0414.JPG
    DSC_0420.JPG

A few photos later and we had enough light left in the day to continue for a while. I apologise for the blatant Mauser advertising but there was a hole that needed covering and I didn't want to shovel handfuls of sand over the little chap so I used my cap.

DSC_0422.JPG

Leaving the Steenbok next to the track for Agarob to collect when he came to pick us up we turned a corner and spotted a Duiker in a wide grassy strip so we stalked up to discover it was a female. No matter because Jakob soon picked out a male inside the cover which was a good one.
    I could see the shape, I could see the legs but had no idea how good it really was so got set and waited for the shot.
    The Duiker was moving left to right behind the thorn bushes so I anticipated his movement, picked a spot and waited for him to offer the shot.

I flicked the safety forward without looking and when I had an opportunity I squeezed the trigger. I kept on squeezing until it dawned on me there had been no bang, I had felt no recoil and the eyes of Anthea and Jakob were looking at me enquiringly.
    I hadn't pushed the safety far enough forward.
    I have a three stage safety on the Mauser. 'Safe Safe', 'Safe' and 'Fire'.
    For some reason after I had chambered a round I had flicked the safety catch back to 'Safe Safe' instead of 'Safe' so instead of pushing it forward one more click to 'Fire', all I had done was knock it onto 'Safe'.
    Never mind, I apologised to my two companions and explained what I had done. I wasn't too worried, the Duiker would still be there for another day and I would rather a rifle be too safe than go off when you don't want it to.

The sun was setting now so Agarob was summoned with instructions to collect the Steenbok and we enjoyed the sunset.

DSC_0417.JPG
    DSC_0424.JPG
    Back at the lodge we unloaded and I disappeared for a shower and to get changed before dinner.
    Some friends of Gert had arrived during the day, two couples from South Africa who were on a road trip around the southern part of the continent and Johanna's daughter and son in law.
    They were all excellent company and dinner that evening was a great occasion full of laughter and talking and listening to stories.

There ends day two. More to follow.......

Dudders likes this.

9. Adrian

Adrian AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    That is very true. It was a definitely a case of beauty and the beast.

10. AZDAVE

AZDAVE AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
    It is always nice to see new place you have never been, sounds like a great company to work with and you are clearly having a wonderful time. Have fun shoot straight and enjoy every second.

11. Adrian

Adrian AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Day 3.

Breakfast was at 06:00 again so with my bacon, eggs and sausage washed down with fruit juice and coffee Anthea and I along with Jakob stepped outside the gate to the range.
    The previous afternoon we both thought the rifle was shooting a little high. My Springbok was a high shot despite me holding high for distance, the Zebra was caught high, certainly higher than the line I had aimed at and the Steenbok had it's spine creased.
    So with a silent apology to the guests still in their rooms I let a couple of rounds fly down the range. Sure enough it was a little high by approximately two inches. A few clicks and it was back down to where it should be and we got on the hunting car and back on the hunt.

This morning we would look for an Impala. An animal I again had never had the opportunity to hunt so I was looking forward to seeing what the day would bring.

The vehicle followed tracks which led through the bush a few hundred metres from an open area and as we looked for game it was Jakob once again who spotted Impala out in the open so we set off to see if there would be a shootable animal amongst them.

We stalked through the thorns and glassed the animals in front of us. There were ewes and young rams, nothing to go after so we went back to the vehicle.

DSC_0426.JPG DSC_0427.JPG DSC_0428.JPG
    Driving on, a herd of Blue Wildebeest crossed our path and then as we rounded a corner a group of Giraffe were there seemingly as surprised to see us as we were them.

DSC_0429.JPG DSC_0431.JPG DSC_0437.JPG

A short while later Agarob stopped the vehicle and we were to continue on foot. There were water points ahead and Anthea and Jakob wanted to approach quietly with the wind in our faces to see if there were any animals in the surrounding bush.
    We came upon a Black Wildebeest who had seen us but wasn't sure of us. We watched and waited and he was joined by more of his brethren and after a few minutes more indecision on their part, all wheeled away leaving a cloud of dust.

During this time I was amazed by the Sand Grouse overhead either arriving at or departing from the water hole. There were thousands of them and Anthea said they arrive here in a two hour window each morning and then go again.
    I had brought my shotgun and a couple of boxes of cartridges so was hopeful that I might get a few shots at them during my stay.

Slowly moving away from the water hole we silently moved through the bush, stopping every so often and glassing any movement we saw.
    A short distance later the bush thinned out and in the clearing there was a circular reservoir for water with a couple of tracks leading away from it. Just down one of these tracks was a group of Impala which contained some mature rams.

Our binoculars went up and we studied the group, they were completely unaware of us just screened by some thorns. Jakob put the sticks up and I chambered a round and settled on the sticks. Anthea and Jakob discussed the correct ram to take and told me which it was.
    The Impala milled around browsing and I kept my eye on the ram while Anthea kept me informed of where it was and I checked back with her.
    We had to move position as the animals moved away from us and I again got comfortable on the sticks, always keeping watch on the ram that had been selected. After a few minutes, probably less the chosen Impala was clear of the others and offered me a shot quartering away so I placed the crosshairs a little further back than the shoulder to let the bullet travel at an angle through the vitals and touched off the shot from 110m.

The sound of bullet meeting animal reached my ears and through the scope I saw the Impala collapse on the spot stone dead.

It was the successful end to a good stalk and I was very happy with the result. A good Impala down and I was at five animals with five bullets, no tracking required.
    Anthea remarked how all of my animals had dropped on the spot, Jakob's tracking skills were unused and as I had said to her a couple of times before, the factory Norma Oryx bullets were doing a great job.
    They hit fast and the 180gr weight hits hard retaining 95% of their weight and mushrooming causing a devastating affect on what they hit. I was and continue to be very impressed with them and I see no reason to change. I bought them for my .375 and will also get them for my .243.
    Superb ammunition and highly recommended to anyone thinking of going to Africa and wondering what bullets to use.

I admired my Impala and we set him up for photos. He was a solid, mature ram and I was very happy to finally put my hands upon yet another first time animal. A beautiful animal that I hope to hunt more times in the future.

DSC_0442.JPG DSC_0449.JPG DSC_0447.JPG
    After the last couple of days when we only connected with an animal just before lunch it was a pleasant change to have a hunt concluded before 11:00.
    Anthea asked what I would like to do, to radio for another vehicle to collect the Impala while we carried on hunting or take it back ourselves.
    I chose to take it ourselves, load it up and take a slow drive back and knock off early for lunch. It had been an amazing two and a half days so far so why not relax and enjoy and reflect.

We had a leisurely drive back passing through Gert's cattle kraals and it was time for a beer and a sit down before lunch.
    DSC_0454.JPG
    To be continued.....

brandondd24 and Badger Matt like this.

12. Nyati

Nyati AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
    That springbok is really impressive !

Adrian likes this.

13. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(2) New Zealand
    Your shooting very well. PH's love a hunter that can hit the animals. Congrats on some nice trophies. Enjoying the tale.
    Bruce

Adrian likes this.

14. kevin masters

kevin masters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    us mexico alaska south africa
    Awesome animals, great report cant wait for the rest!

Adrian likes this.

15. kudukid

kudukid AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Sounds like a great hunt. That soringbok is a monster.

Adrian likes this.

16. kudukid

kudukid AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Springbok sorry

Adrian likes this.

17. Bill116

Bill116 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    US: NY, PA, Alaska, Texas, Colorado,Kentucky, Ohio, CanadaL Ontario, Quebec: South Africa
    Great photos and excellent story so far. Looking forward to more reading. You obviously had a great time there. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Adrian likes this.

18. grsep

grsep AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Alaska, Canada, USA, Mexico, Philippines, Dominican Republic, Hondurus
    Great report, I love the pics

Adrian likes this.

19. Dudders

Dudders AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    UK, South Africa, Namibia, Sweden
    Adrian one of the tiny ten down, nine to go it is a slippery slope you are heading down.

Adrian likes this.

20. Adrian

Adrian AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    It was a slippery slope a few years ago and every time I get up I fall back on my ass again......

Dudders likes this.