NAMIBIA: Hunt With Sumsare Safaris & Gerard Erasmus 2016

Rick Thompson

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I had a great hunt with Sumsare Safaris in Namibia. I had hunted with PH Gerard Erasmus years ago in South Africa and chose him again for my second African safari. I was hunting plains game. We hunted in two areas; 1. A short distance north of Windhoek on approximately 65,000 acres split between two properties 2. The Kalahari on about 30,000 acres of a sheep farm.

I hunted Gemsbok, Springbox, Mountain Zebra, Waterbok, Impala, Blue Wildebeest and Wart Hog.

I was intending to hunt exclusively with a bow but the wind in the mountains and valleys was tough. I did take a really nice Waterbok with my bow along with a Wart Hog.

After bow hunting these animals I was successful on high quality Gemsbok, Springbok (2), Mountain Zebra (2) and Impala, Blue Wildebeest with a rifle.

We also hunted baboons and birds at various time during the hunt.

In addition to animals we did not hunt there were a tremendous amount of : Burchell Zebras, Hartebeest, Black Wildebeest, Blesbok, Giraffe, Steenbok, Duiker, Kudu, Eland, Jackals

The accommodations were very good and we were housed in commercial lodges with all amenities including a bar!

As always the services and expertise of Gerard and his trackers were exceptional. They are masters of finding high quality trophy animals before and after the shot. I highly recommend Sumsare Safaris for those wishing to hunting in Namibia.

Namibia was very dry (bloody noses every day) and is typically much more arid than South Africa et. al. Windhoek is a nice little town, very clean and friendly. Worth a visit!

DSCN2970.JPG
DSCN2938.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you will share some pictures with us.

Congratulations on a great trip!

Congrats, look forward to more!

Sounds like a fun hunt.
Do they have permanent bow blinds over water ? Forrest

What was the name of the farm you hunted in the Kalahari ?

Pics and details please. We all love to hear a good story of the hunt . Bruce

That's what I was waiting for, some pictures!

Glad you enjoyed Namibia. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for posting the pics! Love the spread on the gemsbuck!

Nice waterbuck also!!

In that last pic, I am bow hunting but the wind was swirling. I had 150 animals piled up on that waterhole blowing me. It was a bow hunting nightmare that was, comical. They barked and hissed at me for 1 hr. I hope I paid my dues on getting blown for 3 years with that mess.

Great hunt love Namibia!!! Mountain Zebra is an animal in a class by itself. If you don't agree just just don't know!
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg