Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI and DSC Lifetime
Hunted
Bongo, Dwarf Buffalo, Duiker
Went with mike (On Ivan Crater's suggestion) late 2016 and came back with a hellova trophy elephant. Mike's camp is unusual in the Caprive because you need to take a boat ride to reach the camp. Way back on the water. We worked hard and he switched out conservation guides and we found a beaut.
IMG_3942.JPG

Congratulations

Any more story of your hunt?

Nice bull. Would love to hear more

Congrats on the safari!

More details about the bull and the hunt please!

Nice bull, but I agree with the request for a few more details.

Nice bull. Would love to hear more

Just a heckova trip. The areas hunted included boundary roads around a national park which we drove most every day. Saw a number of herds but nothing of size. Mike decided to change the local conservation guide because he really wasn't cooperative to do anything but drive. Once we got a new guide you could tell it was going to get better just by all the conversation. Excuse the language but, they became what I'd call a bunch of rednecks on the back of a truck giving each other $hit. You may not know it (i sure didn't) but the conservation guide TELLS the hunting team where to go. The PH has to be somewhat persuasive to make it productive. Our original guy didn't want to get his feet wet.

Once that happened we made plans to go to the area south of us along the Botswana border and adjacent to the delta. Left at 0600 and shot at 1810 hrs. Drove to channel/tributary feeding the Okavanga delta, got out, loaded into Kayaks to get across this body of water, and then walked thru more shallow streams (chest high) and into an area of Palm islands (small islands about 1/2 acre in size) adjacent to the delta (this part of the delta was impassable).

Very fortunate to find a very large herd with about 1/2 of herd in the swamp/delta that consisted of 12 ft tall reeds and the other half munching amongst the palm islands.

We weaved ourselves thru the Askari and herd (probably about 30 around us with another 50 in the swamp), picked the big guy out and the PH and guide patted me on the back to shoot. Freehand quartering shot from behind the into lungs and heart. He stumbled, Mike put one into him and I followed up with a second. He went down at 1810 hrs. 20 mins remained in the allowable shooting period.

Left the bull lying there overnight and returned at the butt crack of dawn the next day for the field work. Villagers started arriving shortly thereafter with knives in hand. How the F they found us is still a mystery to me but by mid afternoon there wasn't much left of the elephant other than entrails and uneatables.

My best advice is not use brand new Tevas. Should have taken my well worn out ones from our beach place. Still have scars on my feet where they got blasted and just worn down.

Blaster R8 Professional, 416 R.E.M. Mag, solid, open sight.
IMG_3933.JPG
GOPR0236.JPG
IMG_2526.JPG

Went with mike (On Ivan Crater's suggestion) late 2016 and came back with a hellova trophy elephant. Mike's camp is unusual in the Caprive because you need to take a boat ride to reach the camp. Way back on the water. We worked hard and he switched out conservation guides and we found a beaut. View attachment 175920
Well done! This is the same camp where I hunted cull ele and buff in 2015! Also where we started filming my part of the film Trophy.
Philip

Glad you had a successful hunt. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Well done! This is the same camp where I hunted cull ele and buff in 2015! Also where we started filming my part of the film Trophy.
Philip

Truly a place worth filming. Hope the premier at SXSW goes well.

Truly a place worth filming. Hope the premier at SXSW goes well.
Thanks. It went better than I expected. This film is making some noise!
Philip

Nice bull, great experience, congrats !

Just stumbled across that old post. Appreciate to hear you had a wonderful trip with us. Sad that Mike had to give up the Conservency but is fortunately still in business. I am absolutely lucky to have him as my mentor, he told me more in a couple of months than I learned in the past years before . But your right, the hunt can just be as good as the local guide is. Despite the fact that Mike already hunted that area for five years at that time and knew it for a decade he still has to rely on his local guide and trackers. Every hunter who whats to tell you something different rather doesn't know his job or is too arrogant ;) and Mike is a true example of the last generation of hunters who grew up on safari and learned Afrika the old way. If you really wanna experience Afrika you should hook up with Mike. Or if your a bit shy your welcome to contact me ;)

You elephant was definitely the the hardest task of the season as we had to carry him out from all the way at the boarder to Botswana back to the villages by foot, by boat and by car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!