Namibia free range plains game hunt

Travis2282

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I will be booking my first trip to Africa at the DSC show this year and I would like it to be free range hunt for plainsgame. I have talked via email to omujeve safari and they seem to offer what I would like. I have read a few reports on them and everything I have read seems positive. Are there any other in Namibia that is free range that anyone recommends? Also I'm sure trophy size won't be as good but will it still be close? Thanks for any info!

I’ve taken Gold and Silver medal kudu, gold medal springbuck, gold medal Eland, gold and silver oryx, and a 42 inch buffalo free range in Namibia. Not to worry. Omujeve is a first class operation - I have hunted twice with Nick Nolte - Atcheson and Sons represent Nick.

There are many free range outfitters in Namibia and of you look in the Africa hunting reports section of this site you will find accounts of members who have hunted there, myself included.

I have been fortunate enough to take Gold and Silver Kudu, Gold Blue Wildebeest, Gold Black Wildebeest, Gold and Silver Gemsbok, Gold and Game Fields Hartebeest, Game Fields Springbok and Gold Warthog.

There was no hunting for size, I was happy to take whatever came my way and that's how it worked out.

I believe that no matter where you hunt in Namibia you will find that trophy size will be consistently high if you're into that.

Don't get hung up on it though. Enjoy your hunt, take the animals your PH leads you to and enjoy the experience.

If you worry about size you are missing out on the objective of hunting. Just enjoy the hunt with your rifle, not a tape measure and see what your heads score afterwards, not before.

I’ve taken Gold and Silver medal kudu, gold medal springbuck, gold medal Eland, gold and silver oryx, and a 42 inch buffalo free range in Namibia. Not to worry. Omujeve is a first class operation - I have hunted twice with Nick Nolte - Atcheson and Sons represent Nick.

I have tried to look at nick nolte website. Seems to be something wrong with it every time I check it out?

I have tried to look at nick nolte website. Seems to be something wrong with it every time I check it out?

I've noticed the same thing. I hunted at Nick Nolte's place in 2014. He runs a quality operation. His rep here in Sask is Orion's Taxidermy. You can find price lists for Nick's on that website.

Travis don't jump on the first one that looks good. Keep looking around to see what is out there. Doesn't mean you may not come back to the one your looking at right now. Half the fun is planning your trip

I recommend Kowas. They are first class, have a huge hunting area, and Jacques, their Ph is excellent and an exceptional at judging trophies. I am certain that you will have the hunt of your life with them.

Nick is represented by Atcheson and sons in the States http://www.atcheson.com/ . They both will be at DSC. Nick has a lovely ranch/lodge and his lovely bride Isabel assures it is as comfortable as the hunting is successful. I should also add that Nick is, in my opinion, the best leopard man in Africa.

I will be booking my first trip to Africa at the DSC show this year and I would like it to be free range hunt for plainsgame. I have talked via email to omujeve safari and they seem to offer what I would like. I have read a few reports on them and everything I have read seems positive. Are there any other in Namibia that is free range that anyone recommends? Also I'm sure trophy size won't be as good but will it still be close? Thanks for any info!
Hi Travis, I just got back from hunting in Namibia with Kowas safaris and highly recommend them. This was my second time hunting with them. After my first Safari, there was no reason to look anywhere else when I decided to go on a second trip. Yes, this is a free range hunt. They are also very ethical in that they do not allow you to shoot from the truck or for that matter shoot close to the truck. As Kowas is part of the Dordabis Conservancy, they have access to hunt 400,000 acres. I hunted three different properties while I was there. As for trophy size, of the 7 animals I shot, 5 of them were good medal, 1 was silver medal, and the other a mtn. Zebra. The Strauss family pay great attention to detail. They also make you feel at home when you are there. If you are interested in talking to me concerning my recent hunt, I would be more than willing to do that. Just send me your email address and I will send you an email with my cell number. Good luck

Hey Travis, I highly Recommend Kowas Hunting Safaris. I have hunted with them 5 Times. (2003, 2006, 2008, 2011, and 2017) I agree with Adrian on not getting caught up in trophy size, but you will definitely have the opportunity to get gold & Silver metal animals. Jacques and Mathews are the best I have been with on my last 12 safaris. I went on my once in a life time hunt to South Africa in 1992. Now you can see I am hooked. My daughter and I were at Kowas this past July. Every time I go it seems to get better. The accommodations and food are 5 star. Be sure and visit Jacques and Elleni Strauss at the Dallas Safari Club Show on January 4-7, 2018. I will be there too if you want to ask more questions. Good Luck hunting.

Hi Travis, my wife and I just returned from our 3rd safari with Kowas and have booked another for 2019! Their attention to detail is spot on. As stated in the above post they have a huge area to hunt. PH's are great. We've hunted with Matheus and Jacques. Both are great to hunt with. All fair chase hunting. Great spot and stalking. Lodge is great and food is great. I would definitely give them a shout. Also if you want to talk about our hunts and touring just let me know. Randy

I am a Kowas fan. I am writing this quickly between classes. The link below is the report about our first hunt at Kowas.

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...on-writing-across-the-curriculum-kowas.16062/

My youngest son shot a 58 3/4" kudu and my oldest son shot a 55" kudu but the real trophies of the hunt are becoming life long friends with the Strausses. Got to go put knowledge is some kids heads. I'll post the link to my hunt from this past June later today. It too was an amazing trip.

Namibia is a great place to be. (y)(y)(y)

I highly recommend Kowas Adventure Safaris in Namibia! They will work closely with you on setting up your first safari, for example, what to bring, navigating travel, etc. You can sit down and talk with them at the DSC convention. My husband and I have booked with them several times and will return. We have done combinations of hunting plains game, fishing for tiger fish, photo safaris, etc. Kowas standards include wonderful accommodations, quality game, and fair chase hunting. You will arrive as a guest and leave with new friendships!

I can recommend Agarob Safari without hesitation. They are in the Komas highlands about 2 hours west of Windhoek, a private cattle ranch family owned.
This is a first class outfit and you will guided by the owner Johnny and fed by his wife Mariana.
We hunted for Kudu, Gemsbuck, Hartmann Zebra and Warthog, hunting in the mountains almost exclusively. The terrain is rocky, steep in places, with vast areas to glass and plan stalks.
On a few days, we hunted horseback. The staff would bring the saddled horses out early in the morning, as we ate breakfast, then we would drive to the horses and arrive at dawn or just after.
The day was spent on horseback, over some really tough terrain, impassable with vehicles. We would ride to the top of a small mountain, dismount and glass for game.
I enjoyed every moment of that trip and am planning to go back in 2019.

I am a new member to this form. I have hunted with KOWAS in August of 2016 and August of 2017 and both hunts were better than expected, everyting was spot and stalk I took a total of 15 animals on both hunts. The PH I had was Mathew and was amazing at finding the animals and put me in range to make the shot. I plan to go back again but do not know when at this time.

Reactions: DCN
You have a great list of people to talk to at DSC. You better get there on Thursday and stay through Sunday. Talking to these people in person will be a key to your decision. In 2013 we had our decision made and then literally bumped into Kowas. I still accuse them of tackling me. It was then that there passion for hunting and rugby came in contact with my passion for hunting and football. Yes there were tackling drills practiced and discussed around the campfire. This past June I got to attend a high school rugby game. That was a blast(y)

I hunted with Kowas Safaris earlier this year for plains game and it was absolutely the best hunt that I have been on. I had made 2 previous safaris for plains game in South Africa and my Namibian hunt with Kowas was by far the best in all respects. The PH's (Jacques and Mathew) are not only good at locating, evaluating and stalking game but they are also very knowledgeable about everything Namibian. They take the time to explain the difference between the track of a leopard and a cheetah.....why the puff adder's spoor is a straight furrow thru the sand and how the jackal breaks the shell on an ostrich egg to get at the contents. Not only was my hunt with Mathew successful, it was also educational and entertaining.

Their hunting area is huge and all hunting is fair chase.....so be prepared to do some walking. Trophy quality is superb, again much better than I had encountered in South Africa. I collected a 36 inch oryx and a 55 inch kudu......and we saw others that were just as good. Everything about this outfit is first class....from the lodging to the meals and safari vehicles and most important of all....the people. Danie and Ansie and Jacques and Elenie and Mathew and Michael (and staff) showed my wife and I a great hunt and a great time. I give them my highest recommendations.

Hi Travis,
Check out Kowas Hunting Safaris. I've hunted with them twice and am headed back shortly. They have fantastic free-range kudu, hartebeest, springbuck, steinbok, black and blue wildebeest, mountain zebra, impala, eland, oryx, and so forth... Without doubt Kowas's kudu are outstanding, with tremendous genetics, and are hunted on about 420,000 acres of the best free-range kudu country in the world. Plus, Kowas's staff and PH's are second to none. You'll come away feeling like family and conniving to return as soon as possible.
Best of luck in Africa!
Joseph von Benedikt

Lol. Have to give Kowas credit for digital situational awareness! They have generated what - four new members offering testimonials. :sneaky:

In July I hunted with Kowas Adventure Safaris in Namibia. They treated us like family and made our African experience wonderful. They have access to over 400,000 acres in which to hunt. It is definitely free range as some time it took several days to harvest a trophy. I was extremely for ute to take an Eland, a Kudu, and an Oryx all of which scored as gold medal trophies. As I said before the services they provide make you feel a part of the family, from nightly campfires to talk about the day's experiences to the home cooked meals they prepare for you. The staff goes out of their way to see to your every need; daily laundry service, ph's that go out of their way to make your hunt successful, drivers, skinner's that take care of your trophies and daily room cleaning. I think if you are going to be at the DSC this January you should stop by their both. I think you will be pleased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,