NAMIBIA: First Timer & Seasoned Vet With Kowas Adventure Safaris


New member
Jul 31, 2022
Reaction score
Hunting reports

In a word . . . Incredible

brand new member and son of long time member, K-man.
I had the privilege to accompany my dad on his 8th African safari and my first to Kowas Adventure Safaris. This hunt story began in Feb 2022 when the hunt was won at auction at the Oklahoma Chapter DSC Event. Since the hunt was for a 2x1 experience I was invited to go and jumped at the chance. After some quick decisions and arrangements with work and life we set dates for July 21-28th.

Travel was long (~36 hours each way) but thankfully uneventful. Tulsa -> Dallas -> Doha -> Windhoek via Qatar. We were graciously met at the airport by Ansie. A quick, scenic drive we’re greeted by the gates to Kowas (pictured above). Arriving Thursday afternoon around Elleni and Jacques met us with beverages at the property and showed us to our Sprinbok room. We had a quick rest then went to sight in the rifle. For this safari we elected to share my dad’s Blazer R8 in 30-06 and the 375 barrel made the trip as well but wasn’t needed.

A quick adjustment to the scope and then dad and I both made a shot off the sticks (which were practically touching) @100 yds, off to a game drive to get familiar with the truck, property, and game.

The game on this drive was plentiful and photogenic. Giraffes, wildebeests (black and blue), oryx, springbok, steenbuck, kudu and many more. We were fortunate enough to see several pairs of bat earred foxes

After the game drive, spirits were high and I felt comfortable immediately. A proper first night meal of oryx steaks was prepared by Jacques on the bry.
Great start! More please....
Friday - Day 1 of hunting
Breakfast was a warm protein filled meal beginning at 7 am and in the truck by 7:30. After driving maybe 2-3 miles from camp our PH for the week, Matheus, spotted a group of oryx several hundred yards ahead and before they had become concerned with our presence. We got out and began our stalk. The oryx moved along and after glassing, Matheus determined there wasn’t a worthy animal; however, a small group of springbok had come into view and there were a couple mature males. Matheus continued to search the group and gave the green light on the lead male and the sticks went up for me. I settled quickly and squeezed off my first shot on an African game at ~120 yards. My springbok dropped in its tracks. Immediately, to my surprise, Matheus turned to dad and said “shoot the other one.” In true K-Man fashion and ever prepared for a shot he stepped up, leveled and fired dropping a second springbok in its tracks and 20 yards from mine. One hour in and 2 animals down.

blessed by a gorgeous springbok that flared and we were able to capture it.

what a start! Jacques and Danie later commented that he he believed this was the first “double” on springbok ever . . . We took them back to the skinning shed and began hunting again. Many more game spotted but no more stalks for the morning. In the afternoon, we were off to try and locate a steenbuck we had seen the night before on the game drive.

Luck was in our favor and we found him. A short stalk and a solid shot and I had my steenbuck.

I was unaware of the magnitude of the trophy I had just taken. An old, mature, nearly no teeth and fantastic animal. This concluded our fast start to our Kowas adventure.
Saturday - Day 2
We started out driving toward the back of the property for an opportunity at a oryx. Along the way dad spotted a duiker. While this was casually on the list of game dad and Matheus were both instantly impressed by this animal. I’ll let K-man tell his version and share his pics.
We continued on our approach for oryx and in the late morning we started “a walk”. This was 2.5-3 miles slow walk through the short, yellow savannah grass and short brush. We came upon a small group of springbok and a bachelor group of oryx with no mature bull. Continuing on Matheus made an incredible spot through the brush of an old bull hanging by himself and near an old blue wildebeest. We re-positioned and sticks came up. Never seeing his horns due to brush, I settled and shot. A frontal chest shot, slightly quartered to me.
A successful stalk and an old bull. Not the longest horns but estimated to be 15-17 years old. Gorgeous animal.

that concluded the morning and the afternoon was a well earned nap and I had to let K-man have a chance at a zebra . Another incredible experience to watch and be apart of but not mine to tell.
Last edited by a moderator:
This is awesome! I loved my time at Kowas for my first safari and I have wanted to go back ever since.

I have one question, did the family of meerkats come for a visit?
Sunday -Day 3

the morning spent attending to other items and more hunting for dad. Good stalks and quick shots.

Monday - Day 4
I wanted to attempt a kudu hunt. Matheus had spotted one on another property 30 miles down the road and more mountainous. This began the most physical challenge of the safari. This morning took us on 5-6 miles and up, down, up and down again over the mountains of Central Namibia. We located a good kudu bull but the long stalk was ultimately spoiled by a group cagey of 3-4 oryx. The bull was not to be seen again.

That afternoon, the pursuit of red hartebeest was our quarry. Heading again to a property 45 mins from camp we sought the high ground, glassing for 20-30 mins and seeing literally 100-150 oryx multiple groups of wildebeests and some springbok. While moving to another spot to glass we bumped a large group of oryx. Among them were two mature kudu bulls. The largest of which made Matheus and dad clammer to get out of the truck. We made a fast 1.5 mile walk to gain elevation, bull was never spotted again. Surely a heavy mid 50’s bull.

We had lost some time on the kudu stalk but headed toward another area of short brush savannah. Another spotting location lead to two good groups of hartebeest with 15-18 animals in each group. Neither had an old bull. Our driver Johnni, had moved to the next ridge and located a lone bull at about 600 yards. Matheus took one look and literally “off we went”. A brisk walk had me breathless. We’re 400-500 yards in and then Matheus begins to crouch and seemingly and somehow walking FASTER! I’m 6’2” and I crouch as low as I can and try to keep up. Struggling to stay within 5 yards of him. The red hartebeest is within 100-125 yards but is staying hidden by brush. I’ve been crouched for 150-200 yards now and my legs and hamstrings are screaming. Finally! Hartebeest is viable! On the sticks in an Instant. The hartebeest is still moving and has seen us but pauses for one last look at 80-90 yards. I tuck a shot just behind his shoulder. He runs 150 yards and beds down. John I and my dad still glassing the whole event from the ridge guide us to his last seen position. He’s down but head still up. I shoot again, a bit low in him and he stands, a quick follow up shot anchors him.

Again, OLD! Estimated 15-16 years old. Heavy thick bases and battle scarred.
I know it's been a few years since I've been there but they came into camp and wanted some attention. I was curious as the new generations of animals are born, if they continue to come into camp and enjoy being picked up like they did when we were there.
Tuesday - Day 5

We’re red hot with luck. Having tagged the priority animals for our trip we decided to go after that lone blue wildebeest that was with my oryx on day 2. We drove all morning, no luck. Continued into the afternoon and could not locate him. We ventured to other parts of the concession and spotted a large group of 15-18 blue wildebeests with multiple bulls. They were 1000 yards away and spooky. Taking off before we even had a chance to think about a stalk. We estimated their direction and tried to cut them off. Eventually we caught out to them near the dry River bed. The group had split somewhat with 10-12 out in the savannah and with our luck 3 bulls still hanging near the edge of the river. Matheus and I get out. He puts me on the sticks and the bulls are trotting by at 50-60 yards. I desperately want to shoot as wends loosing light. The begin to cut across the road in front and the bull pauses. I hit him hard, he runs into the open grass and stops about 100 yards further away. I fire again. Hit again! We climb back in the truck and close the distance. As we approach we watch him lay down. Getting out and he STANDS! A third shot finishes the job. All hits and the 1st would have been lethal if given time but in Africa you keep shooting until you can’t.

5 days, 5 trophies

. . . . incredible
I know it's been a few years since I've been there but they came into camp and wanted some attention. I was curious as the new generations of animals are born, if they continue to come into camp and enjoy being picked up like they did when we were there.
None quite that tame. Still close by but not that “friendly”
Glad you decided to join and post a hunt report! I walked a thin line between telling you everything I could about Africa and what to expect or just letting you experience it for yourself the first time. It is a pleasure to have a travel partner and hunting partner! Keep up the pictures and report - I will just add a few lines here and there.
Congratulations on some great animals- that BWB looks huge. What ammo/load were you using in the 30-06?
Oh well, I haven't even unpacked my suitcase yet....
Or even downloaded my pictures onto the laptop....
You youngsters with your i-phones....
My first trip also to Namibia. I was very impressed with the beauty and cleanliness of Namibia. No roadside trash or burned-out vehicles. The infrastructure and power appears very reliable.
Kowas has like all of Namibia had to recover from a terrible drought from 2018 to 2019. Something like the loss of 60 percent of all wildlife nationwide. From what I saw, they have done an excellent job of recovering overall. They also are doing a great job of only taking out the old, non-producing animals out of the herd, we saw a lot of animals that were just almost old enough. The future looks very bright at Kowas.
Will post more later. Good job with both the hunt and the hunt report!
Welcome to Team Kowas! An amazing place with amazing people! :A Thumbs Up:
Congrats on your hunt, good animals, great pictures, thanks for sharing !

Forum statistics

Latest member



Latest profile posts

My simple jackal rig , if it work dont mess with it

Badjer wrote on Dunderhead's profile.
Hello, I'm in Pewaukee. By the 5 O'Clock club, if you know where that is.
big Eland spotted on the plains this morning!

Daggaboy spotted this morning at the mud-hole!