Namibia - Day 1&2

Nice picture of that young impala...he's a dandy!

Again another great story with a warthog and impala...

Now what are you going to do for the next two days?

I am curious to know how the "biggest ram seen" was "too" young to remove from the gene pool. It appears to be bigger than the one you took.

By to young i learned this last year...What the PH is looking at is the base of the horns...if they are white-cream the impala is young and still growing...

If you look at the picture of the Impala taken the base of the horns are black meaning a old impalas and they are the ones that they are looking to harvest...

Namibia - Day 9

It was our last day in the bush, and with another pristine morning dawning in Namibia, the sweltering 97 degree heat of the Texas coast actually seemed 10,000 miles away (which wasn't that far off the mark). Tomorrow, Greg and I will be headed to Windhoek to spend one night at the Kalahari Sands hotel downtown since our flight home leaves at 11:30am the following day (Saturday, June 18). That would give us time to shop at the open market across the street and rest up before the long trek back.

Before that, though, we enjoyed another breakfast by the tiny wood-burning furnace that welcomed us every early morning of our stay.

brkfstrm.jpg

(view from our breakfast room)

We'll strike out today to look for those elusive elephants and maybe take another warthog if we crossed paths with another 'old guy'. We'd also carry with us the fulfillment of closing out one of the greatest times Greg & I have ever spent together in the field.

Since he took over 1000 pics, I thought I'd make my last entry sort of a photo tour of some of the sights we captured in northern Namibia. I'm including some of the wheelchair accessible modifications that the Oelofse's have made to their lodges & hunting vehicles in order to be able to accommodate disabled guests. They do a tremendous job in that regard, and will do whatever it takes make sure you have what you need during your safari.

So, on with the pics...

bedroom.jpg

bedroom at elephant lodge

shower.jpg

shower and tub at elephant lodge

lift2.jpg

sidecar lift into hunt vehicle

lift3.jpg

Jan next to his adaptive vehicle lift

lion.jpg

a big male lion we saw during a nighttime feeding

kuduhorn.jpg

the eye of the kudu which can always be seen through his horns

burrow.jpg

one of many warthog burrows we found

etjo2.jpg

view not far from hunt camp

sable3.jpg

mature sable bull

rhino2.jpg

rhino momma with a baby boy in tow

zebraface.jpg

close up of my zebra's face

impala4.jpg

close up impala ram

weaver2-1.jpg

nests of the masked weaver

ostrich.jpg

ostrich protecting her nest. they lay with their head flat on the ground to hide.

elephant2.jpg

we finally found a herd!

elephant4.jpg

the big bull on the left guarding a cow in heat from two younger bulls

dusk.jpg

dusk on the savannah

jeep.jpg

watching a full moon on the rise hours before a total lunar eclipse

hippo.jpg

hippos stirring under in the moonlight

lift.jpg

chair lift up the viewing room

bar.jpg

viewing room at dusk

bar2.jpg

viewing room where we ended each day with drinks and tales from the hunt

jan.jpg

this is Jan Oelofse. he was a pioneer in game catching back in the day and also trained all the animals for and worked on the set of the John Wayne film Hatari!

This is the end of the road for our safari in Namibia. We had our eyes wide open, noticing, feeling, enjoying, breathing in every experience while we were here. Our souls have been soothed for a while in a land unspoiled by human touch. Soon we'll begin our journey home. See you in Texas!

Attachments

• ostrich.jpg
    ostrich.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 97
  • jeep.jpg
    jeep.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 94
  • lift.jpg
    lift.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 89
  • shower.jpg
    shower.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 96
  • etjo2.jpg
    etjo2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 95
  • bedroom.jpg
    bedroom.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 104
  • burrow.jpg
    burrow.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 106
  • bar.jpg
    bar.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 102
  • bar2.jpg
    bar2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 105
  • sable3.jpg
    sable3.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 71
  • elephant4.jpg
    elephant4.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 82
  • hippo.jpg
    hippo.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 88
  • zebraface.jpg
    zebraface.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 90
  • lift3.jpg
    lift3.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 83
  • jan.jpg
    jan.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 106
  • lion.jpg
    lion.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 101
  • rhino2.jpg
    rhino2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 95
  • elephant2.jpg
    elephant2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 75
  • dusk.jpg
    dusk.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 88
  • weaver2-1.jpg
    weaver2-1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 91
  • brkfstrm.jpg
    brkfstrm.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 73
  • lift2.jpg
    lift2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 82
  • impala4.jpg
    impala4.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 72
  • kuduhorn.jpg
    kuduhorn.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 74
Great story and final pictures...

What Camera or Camera's and lens did you use for your safari?

Looks and sounds like you had a fantastic safari! Very cool that you were able to see so much Big 5 stuff. And what great scenery!

What agreat opportunity to hunt with one of the true legends of Africa. I met Jan and his wife at a game auction near Omaruru about three weeks ago. Probably just a few days before your safari commenced. By pure accident, I had purchased his biography in Swakopmund a few days earlier. It was compiled by his wife, and as I am sure you discovered, Annette is a rather remarkable woman in her own right. Congratulations on such a grand adventure and in telling it so well.

Great pictures! I love to see the territory anyone hunts! The kudu horn picture was very nice.

Thanks for sharing your journey in Namibia with us Chad!

it was my pleasure guys (and girls)! this was one of the amazing trips of my life so far, a place i know i'll have to return to someday. there's a giant sable bull over there with my name on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!