Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Well folks I did have a great adventure in Namibia! I had this trip planned out for about a year and it was to begin with my first visit to a sheep show in Africa. I am a sheep rancher raising Dorper sheep in Texas and have gotten to know many farmers in Southern Africa. The first part of my trip was to the Namibian Dorper Sheep Championships in Stampriet. This little town is in the central part of the country and like most of Namibia is an arid area. So when I arrived at the airport in Windhoek I was met by my PH Gysbert ver der Westhuyzen owner of Aru Game Lodges. You have to get used to the Dutch names in this part of the world! As luck would have it he and his father raise a few sheep and cattle in addition to the hunting business so he was keen to visit the show as well. So yes my PH went with me to the sheep show before our great adventure was to begin! Due to not having daily flights from Windhoek to Katima I wound up with a day to hunt with Gysbert at Kalakwa Farm where his home is located. I told him I really wanted to hunt a giraffe but did not know if that would be possible with just a day before we left for Caprivi. A neighbor had just phoned and said they had a problem giraffe. Now that is another story for another day but suffice it to say after a hard hunt I got my giraffe. Late in the evening we went to look for a baboon which happens to be one animal that has eluded me for many years. The typical scenario with baboons far away in trees mocking us as the sun went down. Knowing there was little chance for a baboon today I began to think of the next day and travel to Caprivi when a male baboon appeared and stopped in thick brush. As he moved out of the thicket I had to make something out of nothing and nailed him!
The following 12 days were spent at Balerwa Conservancy in the Caprivi achieving my dream of beginning to hunt the Big 5. I was fortunate enough to take a non trophy elephant, and very nice trophy buffalo, hippo, and red lechwe. A very encouraging part of the hunt was delivering the meat to the respective villages. All of the meat belongs to them and hunting is keeping the animals on the land period! It was a hard hunt to say the least. We waded through water each day up to chest high and walked many many miles each day as we pursued these amazing animals. We napped under trees during the day and had a picnic since it was too far to return to camp. This area has many large game animals but few small game. The only low point of this hunt was the realization of how many people and cattle are now inhabiting most of wild Africa. I only saw one steinbuck and one bushbuck the entire time so the small game has been taken for meat by the villagers for the most part. I encountered many elephants, buffalo, Chapman's zebras, roan, lechwe, kudu, waterbuck, and warthog. I never saw a trophy elephant but great numbers none the less. I was well cared for in my camp and they made sure I knew it was "my camp". I had a tent on a deck overlooking the river where I could hear frogs and hippos each night. The high point of the trip was likely taking a buffalo from a herd of 500. That is something hunters only dream of.
Whether it is an adventure to the Caprivi or simply the best plains game hunting that can be found in Southern Africa I recommend Aru Game Lodges. Their farms Veronica and Kalakwa are simply the best in terms of game numbers, quality, and quality of lodging and food. It would take a book to further describe how professional and pleasant Gysbert and his lovely wife and PH Danene are. Go hunt with them in Namibia!

Kind Regards,
Philip Glass

buffalo2.jpg
elephant1.jpg
giraffe1.jpg
hippo1.jpg
lechwe1.jpg
baboon1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jfet

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, and Now Spain

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Pretty darn good start on the B5.

Write that book on the Giraffe hunt! Sounds interesting.

Congrats on your success in Namibia.

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Sounds like you had a great hunt.

Congratulations on your animals.

Thanks for the report.(y)

kathy

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
To say you had a large hunt would be a understatement .
great hunt ,thanks for sharing .
I usually don't like to eat sheep but the Dorper are very good to eat. Forrest

dory

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
New Zealand . Namibia .
Another hunter that has fallen in love with Namibia and its people !
We should start a club .
Love your buff .
Cheers Dory .

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Great looking buffalo. They worked a bit for the pose on the giraffe. Congrats on some nice trophies. Bruce

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
Great stuff Philip. The Caprivi is a special place. Congratulations on a fine hunt. Some awesome animals you got there.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

lcq

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA CSSA
Hunted
Canada, RSA
great hunt nice trophies. Baboons have evaded me twice and your description of them mocking you is truly accurate

ScottG

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Sounds like a great adventure. Look forward to hearing about the giraffe.

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Congrats, Philip, seems like you had a great adventure, and nice trophies !

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
Well done. There's nothing like the satisfaction you get when you finally connect after some real effort.

flatwater bill

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
Phil..............thanks for the write up................want to visit the Caprivi this coming season, appreciate the recommend..........................FWB

Witold Krzyżanowski

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe
Great hunting and excellent trophies.
You did have a good hunting.
Congrats Philip. Very good an article. Thanks for sharing.
Witold

Buff-Buster

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Website
www.mashambanzousafaris.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, North American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
Hunted
Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal, Free State & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta & Saskatchewan) & Argentina (Cordoba)
Looks like you had a great trip Philip! Thanks for sharing with us!

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Very nice sir, you took some great trophies.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Congrats on the great animals!

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Yes, as a matter of fact, I am in love with Namibia and her people! Now I just need to visit the coast and Etosha and I will have seen most of it. I think the only thing I would change would be the flights. Next time I'm going DFW-Frankfurt-Windhoek.

Regards,
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GusDelatte

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J