Namibia Bow hunt update

MarkCZ

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Romania, Scotland , England, Namibia
Hello gentlemen,
As you know I am putting together a bow, arrow etc combination for my first bow hunt. It will be in Namibia.
So far, I have a PSE Stinger bow @ 65lb weight coming from USA. I have just received my arrow shafts also from USA they are Easton bloodline 32 inch with 19 grain inserts with a 240 spine. So far so good.
I am thinking of getting Bohning Blaser vanes for this, opinions please.
Also I am going to us Magnus stinger broadheads @125 grains, opinions please.
I have done lots of research but opinions from seasoned bow hunters would be great.
Many thanks, MarkCZ

I fletch all of my arrows with blazer vanes. The stingers are allegedly good heads but i prefer a 3 blade head. However, I have considered trying out the XL 2 blade broadheads that grizzlystik is selling for the next trip. With a 65lb draw your shouldn't run into too many issues with penetration

You'll do great with that setup, have used Stinger 4 blades with excellent results. The arrow length
seems awful long unless they were shipped full length and you need to cut them.

You'll do great with that setup, have used Stinger 4 blades with excellent results. The arrow length
seems awful long unless they were shipped full length and you need to cut them.
Hi Jeff, yes they were shipped at 32 inchs. What length would you recommend? I am 28 inches draw length.
MarkCZ

Hi Jeff, yes they were shipped at 32 inchs. What length would you recommend? I am 28 inches draw length.
MarkCZ
The spine is very stiff so I'm not sure if they will tune if cut much shorter. A 240 spine is very stiff for #65

Nothing will prove your set up more then shooting it ... Practice practice ...then practice ...good luck ,shoot straight ..lots of pictures !
Glen

I've been using Bohning Blazers with four bladed broadheads for years without complaints. I'm with Jeff, 250 spine is too stiff unless you are leaving them full length. For a 28 inch draw I'd cut at 29" if I was going beyond the riser, which is what Easton recommends in general. And at that length a 350 spine would be a better choice. At this point with them in the mail give the 250s a try and see how they shoot.

What will you be hunting?

In general, I would suggest going to a heavier broadhead. I’m shooting 650 grain total weight arrow/broadhead combo from Grizzly stik. The broadhead weighs 200 grains. It is slower, but quieter an gets better penetration. Look up Ed Ashby’s research.

I also shoot about 65 lb draw weight and a 240 spine arrow. With a good bow tune I found that the 240 spine shot better than the softer shafts. The heavier arrows do better in wind and carry more energy for longer shots. I practice out to 80-100 yards regularly (although I would never shoot a game animal at that distance).

What will you be hunting?

In general, I would suggest going to a heavier broadhead. I’m shooting 650 grain total weight arrow/broadhead combo from Grizzly stik. The broadhead weighs 200 grains. It is slower, but quieter an gets better penetration. Look up Ed Ashby’s research.

I also shoot about 65 lb draw weight and a 240 spine arrow. With a good bow tune I found that the 240 spine shot better than the softer shafts. The heavier arrows do better in wind and carry more energy for longer shots. I practice out to 80-100 yards regularly (although I would never shoot a game animal at that distance).
I will be hunting everything up to Kudu but mostly Oryx in Namibia, I am also going to Hungary in the October and Wild Boar will be my quarry. I will keep them at full length for the moment and see how they fly for what its worth I have Gamegetters at the moment and they are 32 inches out of a 55# bow and if I do my bit they are very accurate.
Thanks for all your help, MarkCZ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois