Powdermaker

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Germany.
TErV45q.jpg

Namibia

Dates:
August 6th -21st, 2019

Hunt Area: NW Namibia, West of the town of Outjo.

Safari Operator: Johann Veldsman, Shona Hunting Adventures.

PH: Johann Veldsman

Assistant PH: Jonas – Master Hunter designation

Booking Agent: Elaine Ness-Africa Dreams Hunting Consultant Inc., Alberta, Canada.

Travel Agent: None. Flight schedule was: Saskatoon- Edmonton- Reykjavik - Frankfurt- Windhoek.

Equipment: Due to the convoluted flight schedule, and the fact that we were spending time in Germany before and after the safari, we rented a rifle from the outfitter. CZ Model 550 in 9.3x62 Mauser, topped with a Leupold 1.5 x5 VXR. It used hand-loaded brass with 286 gr Barnes X bullets. I am left-handed while the rifle was not. This was not a problem but next time I will bring a glue-on cheek piece to raise the comb. We were equipped with a Canon D6 camera, Swarovski and Nikon binoculars.

Topography: Rolling hills with very rocky ground, stunted camel thorn trees, buffalo thorn and rocky outcroppings called “koppies”. Also, flat, winding, sandy, river bottom with large ‘Anna’ trees. It is interesting country to hunt!

Animals Sought: Leopard, Eland, Oryx, springbok, Kudu, Baboon, Warthog.

Animals Taken: Leopard, Oryx-x3, Springbok-x2, Baboon, Kudu.

Animals observed in Etosha Park: rhino, elephant, lion, giraffe, hartebeest, oryx, springbok, eland, Burchell’s zebra, Hartmann’s zebra, black faced impala, brown hyena, spotted hyena, honey badger, bat eared fox, jackal, and mongoose.

At Shona Hunting Safaris: elephant, eland, leopard, giraffe, oryx, kudu, springbok, steenbok, grysbok, damara dik-dik, baboon, scrub hare, civet, rock hyrax, Hartman’s zebra. Note: We didn’t see any warthogs in the hunting area (casualties of the drought) but plenty in the ditches on our travels around the country.

Type of Hunting: Spot and Stalk, Bait and blind for leopard.

This has been my second trip to Africa. Once again, I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Africa Hunting Forums, and its knowledgeable members for their assistance and expertise in all things pertaining to Africa. This report is my way of saying “Thank You” to both AHF and my outfitter…..I will post a few pictures and stories.

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea for this journey started many years ago, while on a trip to the Peace River delta of Northern Alberta. I was part of a group that was invited to a very remote area of Wood Buffalo National Park. We were to observe Wolf/Bison interaction and access the potential for Eco-tourism within the park. The lead biologist on this expedition was originally from Namibia. I had caught the “Africa Bug” at a young age. So, sitting around the campfire and listening to stories about Namibia, only increased my desire to travel there. Fast foreword, twenty years…. I was able to retire at age 56, and so, Namibia was on the menu……

Our group consisted of myself, my wife and our youngest son. We wanted to experience something of the country's scenery, wildlife and culture -as much as we could in a mere two weeks. This entailed much online research.

I first drew up a list of criteria. Eventually, after many hours of reading and cross-referencing, I had narrowed the choices down to two operators. We spent 30 minutes on the phone with Johann Veldsman and came away impressed. I called five of his past clients - every one gave a glowing review. So, eighteen months prior to our departure date, we paid our deposit.

Later, I asked Johann “How many of your clients have booked with you, basing the decision solely on Internet searches and a phone interview?”

A bit of awkward silence then “ Ah, you would be the first.“

“Oh” I joked, “After two years of research, I probably know more things about you that than you know yourself!” Such are the wonders of the Internet.

Travel involves all kinds of risks, but we made a great choice in Johann, his partner Ilouwna, (pronounced “E-lone-a”) and the rest of the team at Shona Hunting Adventures.
GGutDRi.jpg

Namibia is a huge country but Johann suggested a holiday schedule that would allow us to experience a variety of activities, without excessive driving.

Day One was surf fishing with Leon - a tackle shop owner and a knowledgeable and dedicated fishing guide. He did not disappoint. July is not noted to be a good fishing month, but we managed to catch a good variety of fish- the largest species being the spotted gully shark.

The next day we traveled down the coast from Henties Bay to Walvis Bay. Here we embarked on a desert tour on ATV's. Our guide has been leading tours for 17 years and gave a fascinating account of desert life of the ancient Khoi people. We examined 2000 year-old mud flats full of animal tracks, as well has human middens and graves of the Khoi people. Pretty cool driving ATVs in the desert as well!

The next few days were spent driving around Etosha Park. This area encompasses a huge pan that holds water and attracts wildlife during the dry season. Since Namibia was experiencing the worst drought in recent history, we saw plenty of animals around the water holes.

Johann kindly loaned our son, a 200mm telephoto lens for our camera and offered much helpful photography advice. He learned a lot and was able to get some great photos.

BOGrGFg.jpg

Our rig for surf fishing...

086XEbx.jpg

My wife with supper.

4nzKZTf.jpg

Our fishing guide, Leon.

DzO0pxe.jpg

Our son, BC, with a Spotted Gully Shark

HWWdzPb.jpg

The sharks put up a good fight!

lb3H6y6.jpg

Etosha Park. The drought was taking its toll, but most animals still looked in good shape.

WYPdOgT.jpg

An old fellow.

5fQth45.jpg

A water hole at Etosha.

We spent the last eight days of our stay at Johann's large private game reserve. It is an unfenced area of 27 square miles. It is part of the Loxodonta Africana conservancy, which encompasses more than one million acres. While there are some cattle and sheep farms in the conservancy, the area is managed for wildlife. The Huab River runs through the property but it only flows in the wet season, so Johann has a number of deep wells, powered by the solar panels. These provide vital water to all of the animal and avian species.

The main species here are oryx, springbok, kudu and mountain zebra. Eland and giraffe are present, but in fewer numbers. The smaller antelope species are also common such as damara dik-dik, klipspringer, steenbok and grysbok. Baboon and rock hyraxes were everywhere. Where there are ungulates, there are also predators, such as lion, brown and spotted hyena, cheetah, serval, african wild cat and leopard. Leopard are common and generally do well living in close proximity to people. Lions, hyena and cheetah are not welcome on ranches. Though Namibia has a stable population of cheetah- the largest population in Africa.

GeA3AgB.jpg

The lodge at Shona hunting Adventures.

kVo6GZ2.jpg

Accessing our shooting skills prior to hunting.

giXYXD4.jpg

Our hunting area. The vegetation was sparse but it was surprising how hard it was to spot animals.

Attachments

• 4nzKZTf.jpg
    4nzKZTf.jpg
    962.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 5fQth45.jpg
    5fQth45.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 171
  • 086XEbx.jpg
    086XEbx.jpg
    947.8 KB · Views: 162
  • BOGrGFg.jpg
    BOGrGFg.jpg
    862.7 KB · Views: 173
  • DzO0pxe.jpg
    DzO0pxe.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 174
  • GeA3AgB.jpg
    GeA3AgB.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 175
  • GGutDRi.jpg
    GGutDRi.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 175
  • giXYXD4.jpg
    giXYXD4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 221
  • HWWdzPb.jpg
    HWWdzPb.jpg
    827.2 KB · Views: 159
  • kVo6GZ2.jpg
    kVo6GZ2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 160
  • lb3H6y6.jpg
    lb3H6y6.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 173
  • WYPdOgT.jpg
    WYPdOgT.jpg
    840.3 KB · Views: 177
Travel Agent: None. Flight schedule was: Saskatoon- Edmonton- Reykjavik - Frankfurt- Windhoek.

I thought I have done some milk runs before. Damn.

Kudu: Our first day back from Etosha was supposed to be a travel day and we expected to relax at the lodge. Upon our arrival, Johann had the bakkie ready and said, "Let's go hunting". So, with Johann driving, Jonas (master hunter) and the rest of us piled into the box seats. The hunting technique is fairly simple...we would slowly grind up a mountain trail overlooking the valley below. We would carefully glass the valley for game and then try and pinpoint something with potential. It didn't take more than 30 minutes of glassing when Johann spotted a bachelor herd of kudu bulls. They were about two km away. Off goes our son, BC with Johann...we watched as they walked down the valley, eventually losing them altogether in the trees. Soon we could see one kudu bull, it perked up and stared in our direction. Then it ran off....immediately another bull stood in the same opening. We heard a single shot. The bull ran off. What happened??? We made our way down to the valley and soon met up with the hunters. Johann was examining the ground and shaking his head. What had gone wrong? BC is a good shot. My wife’s sharp eyes picked out a kudu bull laying about 40 meters away. Johann was just teasing. In fact, the plan had worked perfectly! BC had completed his first African hunt with one of Africa's iconic species.

IW5pgI8.jpg

BC with his Kudu.

cyU9CSq.jpg

Jonas trying to point out some Springbok to me.

MFb7efY.jpg

Moon rise as we head back to camp.

Leopard: It is difficult to live with big predators, especially if you are a rancher. Outside of the National Parks, it is sport hunting that provides revenue to landowners. This revenue is an important reason that landowners tolerate these large carnivores on their property. It is a sustainable hunting practice. (Preaching to the choir here on Africa Hunting Forums!) That said; I hadn't any desire to hunt a leopard.

Two weeks before our departure, Johann contacted me via Whatsap. He explained that he had a leftover leopard tag for the hunting season. If I were interested in trying for a leopard, the option would be available. He further explained that his daughter had a foal killed by a male leopard and he wanted this specific cat “taken care of”. He made me an offer I couldn’t refuse, so I accepted.

The leopard hunt wouldn’t be the main focus of the safari, just an added option. We only had eight days in total at Johan’s lodge. I did not want to spend the entire time in a leopard blind, while my wife and son loitered around the lodge. Also, due to the fact that this specific leopard was a problem cat, we decided to rather hunt it as a problem animal and not a trophy leopard. I was not paying for a trophy leopard hunt and the baits were set close to the lodge.

I don't like sitting in blinds but leopard hunting involves just that. However, I'm never one to refuse a challenge....Johann said we could sit for a few afternoons until dark "just to see what comes in". The leopard was hitting the bait earlier and now fresh bait was placed, also a very well camouflaged blind was built. We proceeded to go and sit. As predicted, it was extremely boring. Then, close by in the gathering darkness, we heard the raspy guttural call of the leopard. He wouldn’t commit to coming in to the bait but I was hooked from that moment on!

On the third afternoon, we heard him call a fair ways off then...closer and closer. Then fifteen minutes of silence. The sun had set and in the gloaming, he was suddenly standing there in front of us. Johann gave me the go ahead - it was the problem male. (I am assuming he knew this because leopards are territorial?) Johann had everything set up so that the 80-meter shot was not particularly difficult. I was worried about shot placement but to my surprise, the leopard died in his tracks. I was grateful for that and the fact that I was able to stay focused - making the shot count! The red dot scope was also a big help.

Once the cat was on the ground, Johann gave me a moment with it. The irony wasn’t lost on me; the first leopard that I see in the wild is dead. It was a surreal moment followed by pandemonium when we arrived back at camp. Leopard hunting is very much a team effort and I didn't realize how much everyone wanted a successful hunt. All the guys showed up and there was much hand shaking, hugging and more than a few celebratory drinks. Most of you know it is not uncommon to spend days and days in the blind without success. I believe it was astronaut, Neil Armstrong who said: “success is when preparedness meets opportunity.” Sometimes you need a fair bit of luck too.

As stated earlier, this was not a trophy hunt, so I would not be taking anything home but photographs and memories. (The sight of the leopard standing over the bait is forever burned into my retinas.) Johann is getting a full mount of the leopard to place in his lodge. I plan to visit it.

Wynqc6L.jpg

The leopard blind.

DqGYjJq.jpg

It was hot but not unbearable in the blind.

ynbkIbp.jpg

Johann's clients have taken many huge male leopard, over the past 20 years of his outfitting
career. This was not one of them, but I could not be happier.

Attachments

• cyU9CSq.jpg
    cyU9CSq.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 162
  • DqGYjJq.jpg
    DqGYjJq.jpg
    858.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IW5pgI8.jpg
    IW5pgI8.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 177
  • MFb7efY.jpg
    MFb7efY.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 264
  • Wynqc6L.jpg
    Wynqc6L.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 184
  • ynbkIbp.jpg
    ynbkIbp.jpg
    1,000.7 KB · Views: 157
We would spend the next few days pursuing, springbok, gemsbok and eland with some stalks successful and some not; that is hunting. It was both challenging and rewarding. The stark, sun blasted mountains provided stunning scenery. Checking leopard baits, stalking eland, experiencing a chance encounter with elephants….. Every day was an adventure.

oDLgCT1.jpg

Trophy Gemsbok.

7fuLFBG.jpg

Johann has a good fleet of vehicles. Including two Unimogs!

TErV45q.jpg

Johann wanted me to complete a "Spotted Macnab", so I obliged him by shooting a Guinea fowl. It's a Scottish thing, you can look its up.

XVNZTkU.jpg

My wife enjoyed relaxing on the deck of our chalet. Savana, the dog was ever vigilant in chasing over-bold baboons and dassies.

gz7UCgV.jpg

So, as you might have guessed, we really enjoyed our time with Johann and Ilouwna. We are rural folk and felt a common bond to life in NW Namibia- a rural culture that is vastly different from our own, but also similar in so many ways. We plan to return to this beautiful and unique area in 2021.

Attachments

• 7fuLFBG.jpg
    7fuLFBG.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 161
  • gz7UCgV.jpg
    gz7UCgV.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 157
  • oDLgCT1.jpg
    oDLgCT1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 170
  • TErV45q.jpg
    TErV45q.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 168
  • XVNZTkU.jpg
    XVNZTkU.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 156
I thought I have done some milk runs before. Damn.
It sucks when you live in the middle of nowhere! Actually, it was not that bad, since our bags were checked through to Frankfurt. Also, we spent time in Germany, before and after our time in Namibia.

Excellent adventure and report! Thanks for the great write up! Now I’m wanting to go!

Congrats for a great adventure !

Nice animals and very good pictures (y)

Sounds like you had a great time. Congrats on the Leopard. Special accomplishment.
Bruce

Thanks for the report, I’ve hunted with Johann 3 times always a great hunt.

Excellent adventure and report! Thanks for the great write up! Now I’m wanting to go!
Thanks. I purposely waited a few months before writing a report. I wanted to wait until we were home and the 'glow' had worn off. It didn't work though. LOL.

Congrats for a great adventure !

Nice animals and very good pictures (y)

Thank you. My wife and Son took most of the photos. So, I have to give credit where it is due.

Sounds like you had a great time. Congrats on the Leopard. Special accomplishment.
Bruce
Thank You. I want to go back and hunt Eland and Mountain Zebra. I had an amazing stalk on a couple of eland bulls but it didn't quite come together. It feels like an unpaid bill that needs to be looked after.

What a wonderful area to experience and hunt in! Congratulations!
Thank you. We were quite nervous about the effects of the drought. We need not have been. Now I want to go back and see the area when it is a bit greener.

We would spend the next few days pursuing, springbok, gemsbok and eland with some stalks successful and some not; that is hunting. It was both challenging and rewarding. The stark, sun blasted mountains provided stunning scenery. Checking leopard baits, stalking eland, experiencing a chance encounter with elephants….. Every day was an adventure.

oDLgCT1.jpg

Trophy Gemsbok.

7fuLFBG.jpg

Johann has a good fleet of vehicles. Including two Unimogs!

TErV45q.jpg

Johann wanted me to complete a "Spotted Macnab", so I obliged him by shooting a Guinea fowl. It's a Scottish thing, you can look its up.

XVNZTkU.jpg

My wife enjoyed relaxing on the deck of our chalet. Savana, the dog was ever vigilant in chasing over-bold baboons and dassies.

gz7UCgV.jpg

So, as you might have guessed, we really enjoyed our time with Johann and Ilouwna. We are rural folk and felt a common bond to life in NW Namibia- a rural culture that is vastly different from our own, but also similar in so many ways. We plan to return to this beautiful and unique area in 2021.
Thanks for the report! I enjoyed the variety of your activities. It sounds like the fishing and four wheeler experience was great. How wonderful to have a successful leopard hunt. It is beautiful. Is it too presumptuous to ask your wife to write a brief sense of her experience? I think it would be most interesting to many of our spouses and all hunters in general. It also might help getting some of them on an adventure like yours! Thanks for a great report.

Thanks for the report! I enjoyed the variety of your activities. It sounds like the fishing and four wheeler experience was great. How wonderful to have a successful leopard hunt. It is beautiful. Is it too presumptuous to ask your wife to write a brief sense of her experience? I think it would be most interesting to many of our spouses and all hunters in general. It also might help getting some of them on an adventure like yours! Thanks for a great report.
Thanks for your kind words.
Well.......I asked my wife and she respectfully declined your invitation. I couldn't agree more, that it would be helpful to have spouses offer input on these forums. However, I will have to paraphrase her comments here.
The fishing: She enjoyed it, but was content to use small bait and reel in small fish. She saw how much effort my son and I had to exert, to reel in a shark and she didn't think she had the strength to do it. Just at sunset we were ready to quit when my son hooked a good sized shark. Leon, our guide, said to my wife, "Just grab the rod and see how heavy it feels" So she did. Then she got this look of determination on her face and there was no way we were going to pry that rod out of her hands. She landed the biggest shark of the day. That ended up the highlight of the day and one for the trip. BTW, we used circle hooks and all the sharks were released relatively unscathed.
ATV Tour: She didn't much care for this. She loves walking but ATV's not so much. Her little 125 cc Yamaha kept flooding and stalling. My son and I really enjoyed zooming over and down the dunes and would take off and leave her temporarily stranded. We had to stay in a group so there was no danger in losing anyone. A French couple were usually last in line and would help her out in getting the machine running. She forgave us. She really enjoyed the tour and found that part interesting.
Etosha Park: She really liked the park! It helped that we had an air-conditioned vehicle and that Johann is very knowledgeable photographer. My main complaint- I found it to be a lot of driving and disliked that we had to stay in the vehicles at all times except in designated areas.
Hunting: I was very surprised to learn that this was her favorite part of the trip! She is a retired veterinarian and has a lot of empathy for animals. She obviously 'gets' the concept of hunting as a conservation model. Also, we live in a rural area and get to experience, first hand that mother nature can be a cruel parent. Killing an animal with a single shot, is a not so bad compared to how most animals die in nature. None-the-less, she hasn't accompanied me on a hunting trip in quite a few years, I wasn't sure if she would feel the same way about hunting as I do. I need not have been concerned. It helped that Johann was very respectful of the animals we were hunting. It is possible to have a strong empathy for animals and still hunt them. Anti-hunters don't get that.

Thank you for the post! It looks like you had a great adventure. I appreciate hearing what your spouse had to say, my wife and kids and I are going to Namibia this June.
Do you have any other tips of what to do/not do for one’s non hunter spouse?

Thank you for the report and sharing some of your wife's thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg