NAMIBIA: A family Vacation With Shona Hunting Safaris

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the excellent response to my question! Super complete. I appreciate the information and the effort it took to provide it!

Thank you for the post! It looks like you had a great adventure. I appreciate hearing what your spouse had to say, my wife and kids and I are going to Namibia this June.
Do you have any other tips of what to do/not do for one’s non hunter spouse?
Your welcome! I don't have much advice. I think that family dynamics are different for everyone. Also, it is a lot different traveling with young teenagers vs young adults. Patience is important. Having a PH who understands family dynamics is also important.
Perhaps focusing on trophy animals would be a mistake. Instead concentrate on having a good hunt. My son and I both missed shots on Springbok. Fortunately we didn't wound anything. My wife was giving us a bit of a hard time about it. I had to remind her that it is hunting, not shooting. No matter how much one practices, it is still possible to miss or wound an animal, but we were doing our very best. She didn't criticize us after that! I definitely felt more pressure with everyone watching you shoot. Get used to it. Thats part of the experience.

Thanks for the excellent response to my question! Super complete. I appreciate the information and the effort it took to provide it!
No problem. You're most welcome!

Congrats from a fellow Stubble-jumper!!! I really enjoyed your report, especially the great photos. My first safari in 2014 was also in Namibia, in the Omaruru area. Not too far from where you were hunting. My PH was from Outjo. I was fortunate to be there following some good rains and it was nice and green. However it was also during a pretty severe rabies outbreak in the Kudu herd. How is that situation now? If I am ever able to go on a third safari, I am very torn between returning to Namibia or the Eastern Cape of RSA. I really want both!

Congrats from a fellow Stubble-jumper!!! I really enjoyed your report, especially the great photos. My first safari in 2014 was also in Namibia, in the Omaruru area. Not too far from where you were hunting. My PH was from Outjo. I was fortunate to be there following some good rains and it was nice and green. However it was also during a pretty severe rabies outbreak in the Kudu herd. How is that situation now? If I am ever able to go on a third safari, I am very torn between returning to Namibia or the Eastern Cape of RSA. I really want both!
Ragman, Greetings and Thank You. I also hunted the Eastern Cape in 2013, so I share your dilemma!
To answer your question, I think the Kudu population, in the area we visited, is doing fine. We saw kudu nearly every time we went out and we did see some very fine bulls. Rabies is a cynical thing and may also be regional? Kind of like trying to hunt a trophy whitetail in Saskatchewan after a hard winter has killed off all the mature animals. It is going to be tough hunting.
One aspect I liked about NW Namibia, is the fact that you can bump into a large predator or elephants at any time. It made the hunting way more interesting in my opinion.

BTW If you are ever up in my area, look me up. I'll put the coffee pot on and we can compare notes.

You got a lot of value for your hunt dollar....and your fotos are very nice.....thanks for posting and congrats..............................FWB

You got a lot of value for your hunt dollar....and your fotos are very nice.....thanks for posting and congrats..............................FWB
Thank You. Yes, it was good value for the dollar spent. My wife really wants to go back with our whole family. So, you see my dilemma. For the same money, go on a buffalo hunt by myself or take the whole family and hunt plains game. I guess the buffalo hunt will have to wait a few years....

An impala with your family will be better than a 42" buff solo..........FWB

Thank you for the report. It brought back many fine memories. I took my family of six to the same area, different outfitter though. Congrats on a memory that you and in the family will remember for a long time.

Thank you for the report. It brought back many fine memories. I took my family of six to the same area, different outfitter though. Congrats on a memory that you and in the family will remember for a long time.
Your welcome! If my memory serves me right, I recall reading a hunting report of your trip a few years back....
These family trips get more difficult as they get to be young adults and lives of their own. You were wise to take your children when they are young.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,