Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
More Bad news in Namibia.

Ongwediva — Thirty-four poached rhino carcasses were discovered this year through aerial and foot patrols in the Etosha National Park and Palmwag/Klip River areas of the Kunene Region, 29 of which were found in Etosha National Park and five at Palmwag/Klip River since January.

Chief Inspector Kauna Shikwambi, head of the police public relations division, said four Namibian nationals arrested in December for alleged poaching of a rhino at Klip River have also been linked through investigations to some of the carcasses found near Klip River this year.

Shikwambi confirmed that a Chinese national was arrested in Windhoek last month after he was found in possession of about 90 kg of abalone, as well as 1.1 kg of rhino horns pieces reportedly harvested from different rhino horns.

"DNA analyses are being carried out to determine the origin of these rhino horn pieces and to be linked to those rhino carcasses found," said Shikwambi.

She these cases are enjoying the attention of the Rhino Poaching Investigation Task Team, which is comprised of seasoned detectives.

"No elephant carcasses were discovered since the beginning of the year, although one Zambian national was arrested in January 2016 in the Kongola area for possession of three elephant tusks. The origin of these tusks has not yet been established," she further stated.

Most of their success can be attributed to superb cooperation between members of the public in the affected areas and the Namibia Police Force Operational team, she said, and encouraged the public to continue their collaboration with the police, as without the valuable information received from local people, the police may not have achieved the successes achieved to date.

In the same vein she urged the public to refrain from grazing their cattle in the country's national parks. "We must embark upon an intensive campaign on wildlife conservation, while recognising the importance of wildlife to human survival and posterity, because the absence of a balance between nature and economic development will culminate in human suffering," Shikwambi stated.

New Era. Mar 2, 2016

Thanks for sharing Wayne!

I suppose the international community can choose to open trade in rhino and save the species or continue on the same path and watch them dwindle to a few zoo animals. I'm glad I've seen a rhino; my grandchildren likely won't have the same chance.

50 years ago alligators were in the same situation; farming and free trade cut the bottom out of the illegal market and now you can't swing a stick in Florida without hitting an alligator. At $60000 a pound for rhino horn, you can bet your last dollar than if trade were legal, there would be plenty of farmers making the investment.

Somehow, the bunny huggers must have missed out on basic economics. They think that banning trade is the answer as if this were a moral rather than an economic issue. Animals with legal trade value that can be legally owned do not struggle for survival. Any moron can see that there is no shortage of chickens, cows, or pigs in the world. I'm not sure why this is so complicated for people.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!