Namibia: 100 Buffaloes up for auction

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Source:

100 BUFFALOES UP FOR AUCTION

The government last week said it has put up 100 buffaloes for sale as it tries to ease pressure on grazing land at the Waterberg Plateau Park.

Ministry of Environment, Forestry and Tourism spokesman Romeo Muyunda told a local news agency that 70 female and 30 male buffaloes from the park had already been rounded up in “boma” enclosures.

Buffaloes are considered one of the most dangerous animals in Africa, and their meat is eaten by most tribes in Namibia especially those in the north-eastern parts of the country.

Bidding for the animals will be open to game farmers at home and abroad who rear animals for big game hunters to shoot.

The buyers will however have to meet welfare and legal criteria and are expected to take responsibility for the animals soon after their bids have been accepted.

Any foreigners hoping to take one home will have to prove they have the rights to export them, Muyunda said.

“It makes conservation sense to reduce the number of wildlife whenever the [land’s] carrying capacity is exceeded so that we can reduce the pressure on grazing and other resources in the park.” He added.

All bids for the buffaloes must be left in sealed envelopes at the Ministry of Environment, Forestry and Tourism by 14 October, according to an advert.

That must be exciting trying to round them up and keep them in an enclosure! Having done this with a couple of hundred docile Herefords still getting chased, stepped on and run over by them, I just can’t imagine doing this with Cape buffalo! Scary!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois