AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AK WSF, AMM, DSC, GOA, GRAA, NRA, PHASA, SCI, WSF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Argentina, Canada, England, Macedonia, Mexico, Serbia, Alaska, USA
Couple of days ago I picked up my 1910 W.J. Jeffery 475 No 2 Jeffery. Wow. Really love it. I’m on the road traveling for a few more days so won’t be able to share much till I get where I’m headed. I promise more pictures then along with why I decided to get this.

13327658-46DF-41C1-82A1-9714619D8DC3.jpeg

Very nice! Made by Thomas Turner. Is the colour case-hardening original?

The wood has been refinished, the barrels re-blued and the case-hardening redone, but I can’t tell you when all that was done although I believe it was sometime before that previous owner hunted Zimbabwe with it and took a nice bull elephant.

D5955D90-92AD-4D9E-974C-2105DE50E17F.jpeg

Very nice! Do you have some more pictures that you could share?

Beautiful rifle with hunting history. If it could speak and tell you the stories :)

I got two boxes of ammo as part of the purchase. 20 soft points, and 20 minus 2 for the elephant solids.

Thought some might find the load data of interest or value.
BF7F5614-3EFC-4648-B70A-7AD2460F14C3.jpeg

Before making the purchase I checked around for ammo, bullets and brass. Found all, mostly on gunbroker, and purchased everything I came across. This photo is somewhere around 100 solids AND it’s all cordite loads. Probably use it for practice ammo and save the modern loads for hunting….but maybe not….I should at least shoot an eland or a giraffe with a cordite load. If that goes without a hitch maybe a Buffalo. Be kinda cool to go all old school. I’ll need to find a pith helmet though.

575F4C4E-7D93-4B04-BF55-CFBA65DB7F5C.jpeg

@Sourdough thank you for sharing and yes indeed a beautiful rifle.

I find the load data interesting when compared to my .470ne load of 500gr. Bullet & 78gr of IMR3031.

Please post further pics and a range report when you have the time.

Careful with that old ammo. I bought some for my .450, tried to fire 2 of them, one actually fired and was way off target and the other one didn't fire at all. Found out afterwards that they were the corrosive primer types. I haven't tried to fire any more of them. So if you do shoot them, clean your rifle immediately afterward.

That is gorgeous! Can't wait to hear more about it, and see more photographs of that one!

It's picture time! But before that I'll add that the barrels are bright with excellent detail. And the lockup is tight as new. I'm very fortunate to be the current caretaker. And just enough scratches I won't feel bad adding mine.

IMG_6363.jpg

IMG_6362.jpg

IMG_6364.jpg

IMG_6359.jpg

IMG_6360.jpg

IMG_6361.jpg

IMG_6365.jpg

Oh, and why did I decide to get this. In all honesty I'd never heard of a 475 No 2 before. Not surprising since I'm brand new to double rifles having just recently acquired my VC 500NE. Any way, after reading "Months of the Sun" and watching Buzz Charlton interview Ian Nyschens (the author) where in both places he said if he could have chosen any gun for his elephant hunting (poaching) it would have been the 475 No 2, I was intrigued and when I spotted it for sale I had to have it. And I am in love.

And technically @Berettaco when I decided to pull the trigger on this is was the second gun in the second month, so I think you are correct, I don't really have a problem. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.