My South Africa Trophies Made it Home!

skull damage does happen altho most could be avoided but my biggest issue would be with them writing on my horns !! I have never seen that.

Always good to get stuff home! The memories are now on display.
Thanks Charlie! Yes it is great to get them back, but right now they're still on the floor! My little trophy room is severely overcrowded and I can't depend on studs to hang things from anymore. I plan on putting up some plywood and then panelling that, so I can hang things where I want.

skull damage does happen altho most could be avoided but my biggest issue would be with them writing on my horns !! I have never seen that.
Yes the writing on the horns is annoying, but it is fairly faint and on the back of the horns, so once they are up on the wall you won't be able to see them. The Springbok and Bushbuck skulls I can definitely get over as well. But the Kudu skull wasn't damaged...they sawed it off. Which is not what I wanted. That's the only thing that really sticks in my craw. A simple misunderstanding I'm sure and I'll forget about it whenever I decide to get the shoulder mount done.

Over cooking makes the nasal bones much easier to fall out. I had a gemsbok come back looking like your springbok, as a taxidermist I recreated the front bone so it could be used as a euro mount still.

Over cooking makes the nasal bones much easier to fall out. I had a gemsbok come back looking like your springbok, as a taxidermist I recreated the front bone so it could be used as a euro mount still.
It will eventually be a shoulder mount, so it'll be fine. You have a pic of your gemsbok after you fixed it?

Thanks Charlie! Yes it is great to get them back, but right now they're still on the floor! My little trophy room is severely overcrowded and I can't depend on studs to hang things from anymore. I plan on putting up some plywood and then panelling that, so I can hang things where I want.

No way your talking! Improvise and overcome!

Congrats!

Apparently my bar is set too high but I have yet to go over and hunt. Would you mind sharing who did this work?

I would be very frustrated with the outcome of this despite the fact that you were lucky in that the major screw ups are on animals that will be shoulder mounted but had you planned on doing euros of everything this would be tragic. I can understand a broke nasal bone from overboiling but is it common for euros to end up looking like the Springbok if done over there?

Hey Aaron. I'm with you on the level of disappointment. So much for your nice Euro Mount of your Kudu proudly displayed. :mad: But there is always a silver lining! The Kudu was the one you were most wanting the shoulder Mount of anyway, and this may just expedite the procedure!
I'm happy with you that they made it home and for the most part turned out well!

@ryanjones thanks for your post. As of now I am not prepared to name the company as I am busy working with them on the issue. As I said before, I honestly believe that it was just a misunderstanding between them and myself in that I failed to make it clear enough that even though I wanted the capes from the Kudu and Springbok for shoulder mounts AND I wanted the full skulls to display as euros until the time when I chose to have them mounted. I was pretty angry when I first opened the box and saw that, but a week has passed and I am now not too worried and am looking forward to the shoulder mount!

@Cam Moon exactly right! Glass half full right? I just have to get busy in reinforcing my wall so that I can hang all of these skull plus some of my Namibia skull properly. Plus I was lucky and shot a beauty whitetail last fall that I will be doing a euro on once winter is completely done that I will need a prominent place to hang! My trophy room has a makeover coming!

It would be great to see the pictures of your wall completed! In fact let's see that whitetail right now!

It would be great to see the pictures of your wall completed! In fact let's see that whitetail right now!
029.JPG

031.JPG

That's a dandy! I like that shit eating grin you're trying to hide! LOL

That's a dandy! I like that shit eating grin you're trying to hide! LOL
That was quite a day. Almost bittersweet. Had been after that buck for 2 years. Got lots of pics of him and always looked forward to checking the camera to see if he was still around. Some of the neighbours knew about him too and we were all after him. I was very happy that it was me, but still a little sad knowing that I don't have that to look forward to this fall. I must be getting old!

Got confirmation from the taxidermists that the error was on their part. They normally skull cap the animal when a cape is included as the end goal for it is a shoulder mount. After looking back at our correspondence, they saw what my wishes were and were very apologetic. They also said that when another kudu skull is available, they will send it to me. Misunderstandings are a part of life that happens to everyone in time. I am satisfied with the outcome and will just look forward to the day when my Kudu mount is finished and on the wall!

It's nice where in a world that seems more and more to have a "pass the buck" mentality that someone actually accepted responsibly and admitted they messed up. Mistakes happen. We all know that, but far too often nobody will stand up and be accountable. Good on them..... And good on you for not naming names and trash talking. I'd say they may get your business again! (y)
Oh, and we still wanna see your wall Bud.

They should have written your name or initials on the inside of the horn. I have had the wrong capes sent to me before. Glad you got your trophies

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!