Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
Got the phone call I've been waiting for the other day...my trophies that I got with @KMG Hunting Safaris was waiting to be picked up! I quickly got them home and started unlocking and untaping everything, then putting the horns on the skulls.
IMG_2782.JPG

I am mostly happy with everything, however there are a couple things I'm not too thrilled about.

The Good:
The skulls were cleaned well. There's a little bit of yellow dry tissue on the underside of some of them, but not very much. All in all a good job there.
The horns are all nice and clean and pretty much their natural colour. Not all black like you see so often, so I'm very happy about that.
Turn around time. From dropping the raw trophies off on departure day until they arrived here in Saskatchewan was just over six months. Can't expect any better than that.
I'm happy with the skulls of the Nyala, Waterbuck, Blue Wildebeest and Blesbok.
IMG_2786.JPG

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2789.JPG

IMG_2790.JPG

The Slightly Annoying:
They wrote my name on the back of every horn in blue marker. Kind of hard to see on most but if you look you can see it. It really shows up on the WTerbuck horns as they are a lighter colour. At least it's written on the back of the horns and won't be visible when on the wall. Below are pics of the Kudu and Waterbuck horns showing the ink.
IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_2788.JPG

The little bones on the end of my Bushbuck's nose were broken off. But I think it still looks OK.
IMG_2792.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

The Bad:
While all of the above skulls are going to remain as euro mounts, I had the capes saved from the Kudu and Springbok saved for shoulder mounts. However I had let the taxidermy company know that I wanted the skulls done as euros as well as I was going to take my time in mounting them at home. I received Springbok skull with all the bones from the bridge of it's nose broken out which doesn't look very nice.
IMG_2794.JPG

IMG_2793.JPG

But the one that really hurts is the Kudu. For some reason they sawed the skull cap off! I don't understand why they would do that. They also wrote my name and date they received it in black and red marker on the top of the skull so that it's clearly visible however I display it until I get it mounted. My importing company sent an email inquiring on the foul up, but we haven't heard back yet. Can't do anything about it now anyway.
IMG_2784.JPG

IMG_2783.JPG

Anyway, I'm super happy to have them home to close out my Eastern Cape safari. The Kudu disappointment will disappear once the shoulder mount gets done. I would use that company again as long as I am sure they won't cut the skull cap off again. Now all I need to do is clean them up a little and renovate my wall so that I'm not depending on studs to hang stuff from!

Last edited by a moderator:
The kudu must be because they thought u doing a shoulder mount??
If so they only use the skull cap for that

Those very fine bones on the edge of the nose are a pain and become very brittle in the process. I have a few skull mounts where they are broken it doesnt look good but i think its almost unavoidable in some instances

Trophies look cool and i personally prefer euro mounts

@Ragman,
Aaron, pleased to hear that you were happy with most of the stuff. On my way back to RSA from Canada, and sitting in Heathrow at the moment, but sent them an email to get in touch with you so that you can discuss any issues.

Take care buds,
Marius

Congrats on getting them home. All in all I know they will bring you many years of satisfaction and memories.

Congrats on getting them home! Some great trophies!!

Unfortunately sometimes the boiling process takes away a bit of the skulls especially on the nose area, happened to me a few times also. But hey, that kudu and springbok will look great mounted up!!

Congrats mate. Always great to have them home.

In my experience with African taxidermy as a whole, you've done very well. On my Namibian safari I actually asked them to skullcap everything as I was mounting the lot, and they wouldn't?? :A Blink:

Can't wait to get my 2018 stuff home...not that I've got anywhere to put it haha.

Cheers
Tim

Some very fine trophies! I like euro mounts. The contrast between the skull and horns is nice IMO. Plus I can actually afford them and can make space for them(y)!

@Ragman,
Aaron, pleased to hear that you were happy with most of the stuff. On my way back to RSA from Canada, and sitting in Heathrow at the moment, but sent them an email to get in touch with you so that you can discuss any issues.

Take care buds,
Marius
Thank you my friend. I'm waiting on a reply to an email my importing company sent as well. Mainly I'd just like an explanation as to where our misunderstanding happened on the Kudu skull.
Looks like you and Kim had a good time here in Canada...hope you booked lots of hunts!

Congrats on getting them home. All in all I know they will bring you many years of satisfaction and memories.
Thanks John, it's really nice to have them actually in my house! Had to watch your video again yesterday to have another look at your waterbuck. He's a dandy for sure. I put a tape on mine just out of curiosity and he measured 28 inches.

Congrats on getting them home! Some great trophies!!

Unfortunately sometimes the boiling process takes away a bit of the skulls especially on the nose area, happened to me a few times also. But hey, that kudu and springbok will look great mounted up!!
Thanks Charles! I remember reading about you Nyala skull and horns. I guess my problems are pretty minor compared to that!

The exact same thing happened with my Eland skull on my very first adventure.
I was not happy.

Supervisor
bored-at-work.jpg

While the conveyor kept going on the "typical" product.
made-in-africa-ethiopia-jonathan-rosen.jpg

Want to know which one of your trophies is being shoulder mounted first? I know! :)

Congrats ! You did fine on the whole, sometimes they do overboil :mad:

Congrats mate. Always great to have them home.

In my experience with African taxidermy as a whole, you've done very well. On my Namibian safari I actually asked them to skullcap everything as I was mounting the lot, and they wouldn't?? :A Blink:

Can't wait to get my 2018 stuff home...not that I've got anywhere to put it haha.

Cheers
Tim
Thanks Tim! The lack of space is a big problem with me as well! I have been reminded more than once that all my skulls and horns are to be confined to the basement and it's already full. I think I'll need one wall just for Africa stuff and it currently has a couple of moose racks and a whitetail shoulder mount taking up valuable real estate. Not sure where they will go now! But it's a good problem to have!

Looking forward to seeing your KMG trophies when you get them!

Some very fine trophies! I like euro mounts. The contrast between the skull and horns is nice IMO. Plus I can actually afford them and can make space for them(y)!
Thank you! We seem to have a lot in common!

Congrats ! You did fine on the whole, sometimes they do overboil :mad:

They need to import a couple of taxidermy assistants from Europe to show them how its done.

What a relief for you to get your trophies home.

The exact same thing happened with my Eland skull on my very first adventure.
I was not happy.

Want to know which one of your trophies is being shoulder mounted first? I know! :)
Looks like I'm in good company then! And I'll bet your right on the first mount!(y)

Good to see trophies made it home and all is good minus the couple things you mentioned! Looking forward to seeing Kudu once its mounted!

Always good to get stuff home! The memories are now on display.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross