Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
Nice buck, lots of body mass (170-180#, pretty big for Louisiana) even if the horns weren't great. For a first buck, still a wall-hanger.

20210116_182220.jpg

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

Congratulations to you both.

Well done!

That is terrific. For Louisiana, that is just about huge for weight.

Between us and our neighbors, we do a fair job of managing them. Between us, we'll kill a couple 200 pounders a year (I never got that lucky).

also meant to add - he shot that thing through RPP aperture with only about 10 or 12 minutes of legal light left.

wall hanger for sure !!! Congratulations to both!

Congrats to your son!

Outstanding!!!! Congrats to both, even with those stereotypical navy flyboy mustache....LOL!!!!!!

That's awesome!!! I remember my first buck like it was yesterday but it has been 25 years or so. Mine actually looked a lot like your sons. Gotta love the stash too lol

Very nice. Congrats
Bruce

Congrats on his first deer! Much better than my first spike deer from 40 or 50 years ago!

Congrats on a fine first buck.

Congratulations!! That’s a great first deer...nice size body too for down south. Great memories!!

Outstanding! Tell the “flyboy” congratulations!

Congrats all the way around. What rifle was he using? Where is your place in Louisiana? Factory ammo, or something you loaded?

Congrats all the way around. What rifle was he using? Where is your place in Louisiana? Factory ammo, or something you loaded?
North of Baton Rouge about an hour, and maybe 20 minutes from the Mississippi state line.

He was shooting Marlin 1895GS with Ranger Point Precision aperture and Hornady FTX 325s that I rolled myself.

After looking at the bloodshot shoulder, he decided maybe Dad wasn't so crazy shooting heavy lead bullets at a bit lower velocity.

Have you ever told or explained to your son that muzzleloaders kill deer effectively, and that they have been doing it for a while? LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg