My Son Needs A Scope (German/Austrian)

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
My son got a new rifle for Christmas with some very specific mount/ring limitations that have left us searching for a very specific scope.

The following requirements:

1" tube
No more than 42mm exit objective
At least 5.35" of tube length

Would anyone have a Kahles, Swarovski, Zeiss, or Schmidt and Bender older scope floating around for sale?

Some examples that I believe will work:

Schmidt and Bender Klassic 1" fixed 6x power
Swarovski Habicht 3-9x36
Swarovski Z3 3-9x36
Several brands 1-6x42 (Kahles, Swaro, etc)

I figured I'd check in with this group before I purchase him a new Z3 3-9x36 to resolve the matter.

@Dirtdart has a Zeiss for sale: https://www.africahunting.com/threa...-v-1-5-6x42-t-plex-reticle.47197/#post-502664

@Mark Biggerstaff has a Swaro for sale: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/for-sale-swarovski-z6-1-5-10x42-l-plex.47201/#post-502438

BTW, I purchase a scope from @Dirtdart earlier this year and was very please with the transaction.

Not sure if 30 mm tube is a deal killer since you want 1 inch.

Both of those are 30mm tubes, we need 1" tubes. (don't wish to re-purchase $1000 mounts/rings, yes, that's what it would cost, trying to do this frugal with the bits and pieces we have for this rifle)

If you're going to go with the Swarovski Z3, I suggest you go with the 3x-10x which meets your requirement for a max objective size of 42mm. A bit more power and light transmission for only a couple of extra bucks.

Great lead, you’ll go a long way to beat that Leupold VX III 2.5-8x. Excellent eye relief, good optics, 36 mm objective and excellent price. I’ve used that model extensively and sometimes wonder if all the high dollar glass I’ve bought was really an upgrade.

Swarovski Habicht 3-9x36
I think I have one of these, I need to dig into the safe and figure out an asking price if the scope I'm thinking of is the right one.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 9.46.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 9.46.03 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 163
Last edited by a moderator:
For reference my Zeiss Diavari -C 3-9x36 measures 5 and 3/8ths inch of total tube as best I can tell with a tape. I keep getting an error with my calipers over 5.30 inch which is damn close but I can't say for sure if it will make the required 5.35. My 1993 Zeiss catalog does not give that dimension.
I am looking at a 2007 Kahles catalog right now and they list that dimension for every scope in their lineup except the only 36mm objective 1" tube scope they made at the time, a CL 2-7x36.

Was the Zeiss Diavari C 3-9x36 a one-inch tube?
I should have put that in the post but yes, it is a one inch tube. I was trying to help find options that met the criteria listed when you started this thread.

Both of those are 30mm tubes, we need 1" tubes. (don't wish to re-purchase $1000 mounts/rings, yes, that's what it would cost, trying to do this frugal with the bits and pieces we have for this rifle)
Just curious, What kind of rifle are we talking about here and what rings and mounts are that much money? YOWZA!

Great lead, you’ll go a long way to beat that Leupold VX III 2.5-8x. Excellent eye relief, good optics, 36 mm objective and excellent price. I’ve used that model extensively and sometimes wonder if all the high dollar glass I’ve bought was really an upgrade.

I have the Leupold VX III 2.5-8x on a couple of rifles and I think it's the best value in a scope that I've run acrossed. It's the right amount of scope for 90+% of my hunting needs.

This is a few years old (ok, 9 years old) but still a good review by Randy Wakeman.
http://randywakeman.com/Leupold_VX-3_2.htm

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 10.52.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 10.52.06 AM.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 236
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 10.52.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 10.52.08 AM.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 183
Just curious, What kind of rifle are we talking about here and what rings and mounts are that much money? YOWZA!

EAW rings and pivot mounts, barrel saddle, rear receiver bridge dovetail, locking lever. Once you're in the European mounts you can spend a fortune on the tech, but indeed they are the very best. The problem comes in when you buy a second hand gun that is missing its scope...it makes it very complicated to get a workable solution back together at a reasonable price. I scrounged some second hand rings and mounts on eBay for $300 and then spent another $125 swapping out a few of the parts to get a workable mounting solution. Now I need to get a scope to fit that mounting solution!

I know, its bass-ackwards to do it this way but in reality, the mounts are much more expensive than the scope!

Full irony: after this is all setup and working, I'm going to have to chop the stock and set a recoil pad to get the proper eye relief because there is NO Adjustment remaining for most scopes to set back the scope to the current LOP. (Thankfully its a kid's rifle and the 14.5" LOP is too long) Again, this is a bass-ackwards way to do this but this is how you assemble a $4000 value gun, mount, optic for a kid without spending more than $1500 all-in. It's an exercise in frugality and in the end my kid will have something of long term worth rather than just running down to cabelas to drop $1500 on some plastic junk that will end up at a pawn shop for $100 someday.

Of the limited models of scopes that fit your mounting criteria that Swarovski Z3 will be as easy to come by as any these days and will not be bested optically by anything that I am aware of that fits your mounting set up. The only advantage a Zeiss 3-9x36 Diavari C ( with *T lens coating ) has is that the cross hairs are thicker than the Swarovski by a noticeable difference. The Swarovski #4 will be a little heavier than their plex. Eye relief by the book is the same for each. How thick the cross hairs are didn't matter much years ago to me at least like it does now . I can understand wanting to keep with the German/Austrian theme on this one. Good luck!

I have 2 S&B klassic on my rifles great scopes. 6x and a 8x. Hope you find one.

These two are not for sale, but give a bit of perspective with relation to a M70. Mounted is a Zeiss Diavari 3-9x; above is a S&B Klassik 6x. Both are 1" tubes. The S&B is 42mm while the Zeiss is 36mm.

Rookhawk, instead of chopping the stock why not purchase a Laminated Featherweight Thumbhole stock with a 12 &3/4" LOP from Boyd for $165.00. I just did that for my grandkid's gun. When he is bigger you can put the original stock back on. I posted a couple of photos just before Christmas. Post was titled " The Grandkid's Gun" 12/15/2018

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.