My son bowhunting the Red Hartebeest in South Africa

Obviously a successful hunt. But please convey the following caution to your son.

You should never stalk game with an arrow nocked on your bow. Broadheads are razor sharp, falls are unpredictable and more than one hunter has been seriously injured or killed by this unsafe practice. Once game has been sighted you can nock an arrow and carefully close the remaining distance.

My caution is/was not intended to be critical of his actions, but I'm sure we can all agree that they did present a "teachable moment."

You are to be congratulated for bringing up your children with a love for the great outdoors. Hopefully they will continue to hunt and fish with you for many years to come. Then like me, you car start instilling your values on your grandchildren. Life is not all bad.

Thank you but to clarify, there were no arrows on the string unless we were close to an animal that we wanted to take ore approaching a down animal. We also always stalk white mechanical broadheads where the blades folds whit the edges towards the ferule so we don’t accidentally cut the guide ore cameraman when we are close.

Reactions: TOM
Thanks for sharing.

Nicely done. Great to be able to video your son hunting. Bruce

Nice job ...both in the shot and the videoing !
Glen

That is the way to start them early!

Thanks for nice video. Video of a recent Blesbok hunting safari in South Africa. This Blesbok hunting trip took place in the highveld of South Africa's Gauteng

Nice camera work, I enjoyed it a lot!

Very very cool experience!

Good job to the hunter. Well done! As for the comment above about stalking with a broadhead on the arrow being dangerous...he must not be a bowhunter. Any bowhunter knows that you have to have an arrow at the ready (on the string) when stalking. Yes, be cautious but the idea that you stalk in to bowrange and then put your arrow on the string is a bit absurd.

Tom, sorry to disappoint you. I've been a bow hunter for 60 years and a Hunter Education Instructor for 30 years. Perhaps we are splitting hairs here. How far is a stalk? Ten yards, twenty yards, if that is what you are talking about I'd be inclined to agree with you. If you are talking fifty or a hundred yards or more the arrow stays in the quiver. I just watched the video again and saw that there was an arrow knocked prior to game being sighted. Perhaps there was game in the area when the arrow was knocked but the video failed to show it.

I think you can stalk an animal with a knocked arrow. Just be careful. Hunter and guide/ph need to be on the same page here. Depends on the terrain, circumstance and age/maturity of hunter.

If I'm stalking I have an arrow nocked!!! With a sharp muzzy mx3 on it.

Cool thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,