My Second Man Eating Royal Bengal Tiger

Very jealous! I had the privilege of hunting with two older Indian docs. Of course they had their obligatory 7x57s! Their stories were something. You can self publish your book on Amazon. Outline, write, edit, proof, then send it out for more proof and editing. It is a great deal of work but you should do it. My wife is a Romance Author ( you're too old to read her books!) Cheers and keep writing as we all want to hunt tigers.

Great story! And please write/publish all of them!
Not only do you have an appreciative audience here, but you are also recording your invaluable memories and experiences for posterity.

Great story. Your autopsy seems to make it very clear that buckshot is not the best option for these beasts. I’m glad it worked out!

Great story.....

A friend recently aquiered a 12g Westley Richards Explora (Paradox), it came out of a shipment of arms from India BTW. It shoots 730 grain hollow point bullets at some 1350fps..

I think they were popular for tiger hunting back in the day..?

Last edited:
I actually quite enjoyed all the tiger and leopard hunting stories in old India and Bangladesh on this forum. It would never cross my mind to check origin of photos. Thanks for highlighting this.
You’re welcome, Mark.

Thanks a lot for sharing this hair raising adventure @Hunter-Habib I hope you will continue on publishing more of them. These stories deserve to be conserved for the future.

I had picked up on inklings that some boasts from others were not entirely truthful. Thank you for having pointed this out.

hope to read more,

V.
My pleasure, Vertigo. I find it absolutely hilarious how some of these stories have hunters blowing away Royal Bengal tigers like varmints.

The first man eater died 7 hours after I shot him. The second man eater (as detailed in this story) died 4 hours after I shot him. The last one (which I got with the 7mm Mauser) died 3 hours after I shot him.

Well done Tiger Habib! I enjoyed the story and the way in which you explained some of the pitfalls of earlier attempts. I doubt that any of us will ever get the chance to hunt Tigers and it's nice of you to give us a small glimpse into what that's like.

HH
Thanks, Hitman. Contrary to what many authors write, tiger hunting is very much a matter of trial and error. Luck also plays a very important part.

I learnt the hard way in ‘88 that artificial baits don’t work for enticing Sundarban tigers (esp. one that‘s turned man eater). Only waiting to ambush them when they return to complete feeding on natural kill-sites work.

it still it amazes me about a government that seems to put more value on a animal over human life, i think the wayward animal should have been killed as soon as possible(before 16+ humans). as most here are hunters and armed, they would have been ready to kill the animal as soon hey could with out asking any government permision . and please keep the stories coming, thank you.

View attachment 521512View attachment 521514
If only government officials of third world countries thought like you. After the Wildlife Conservation Act-1973 (courtesy of pressure from U.K and India) was passed, killing Royal Bengal tigers became a criminal offense (carrying a 14 year prison sentence). After ‘73, only 4 man eating Royal Bengal tigers were legally killed in the Sundarbans (the last being in 1989).

Every year, an average of 55 locals are still killed by man eating tigers around the Sundarbans. If more Death Orders for hunting the man eaters were issued, then so much human life would never be lost. But what do fat officials in expensive suits & ties sitting in their air conditioned city offices care about locals?

Back in those days that I’m writing about (1973-1989), the standard policy for contending with man eating tigers was this:

Step 1- The first course of action to be attempted, was to try and frighten the Royal Bengal tiger away from the locality which it was terrorizing.

Step 2- The second course of action to be attempted, was to attempt to capture the Royal Bengal tiger alive and either release it into an isolated part of the forest (where no human beings were around) or to put it in a zoo.

Step 3- If all non lethal methods of attempting to subdue the tiger were exhausted, then a Death-Order was issued by the Ministry of Forests from the government itself. And the Ministry of Forests would only agree to issue such a Death Order, if the Chief Conservator of Forests approached them and showed them that EVERY POSSIBLE NON-LETHAL MEANS of contending with the man eater had been attempted without yielding successful results.

Off the record, my belief is that the Ministry only issued Death Orders not out of any altruistic reasons… But because the government was losing serious revenue due to the man eaters and their depredations (by killing government appointed wood cutters and fishermen).

As mentioned above, the Ministry of Forests only did this 4 times in the last 50 years. And the last time (the tiger that I shot in ‘89), the Chief Conservator basically refused to approach the Ministry at all. He was pressurized into doing it by a very influential Brigadier General and Major Poton Khan (who used to be a forum member here). They aspired to hunt down that tiger with their men. But they failed (for various reasons) and then, I ended up getting him (through pure luck when I crossed paths with him randomly while patrolling the creeks in a department speedboat).

2D303FEF-7CD6-4E1C-9085-A3F4F1BDB913.jpeg

By the way, LOVE your collection. Is that a Winchester Model 12 “Duck” I see ? Also, what’s the lovely side by side in the middle rack ?

Last edited:
There is something fascinating about stories of hunting an individual animal that is not only potentially dangerous, but that actually has proven to be so. I really enjoyed reading your story and would be very pleased to read more. Thank you for sharing!
Believe me. I was actually under a lot of pressure at that time. It was either go after the man eater or lose my job.

Very jealous! I had the privilege of hunting with two older Indian docs. Of course they had their obligatory 7x57s! Their stories were something. You can self publish your book on Amazon. Outline, write, edit, proof, then send it out for more proof and editing. It is a great deal of work but you should do it. My wife is a Romance Author ( you're too old to read her books!) Cheers and keep writing as we all want to hunt tigers.
Oh, trust me. Romance bores me (except if it’s a .600 Nitro Express double rifle).

Great story! And please write/publish all of them!
Not only do you have an appreciative audience here, but you are also recording your invaluable memories and experiences for posterity.
Will do, Zulu. Thank you.

Great story. Your autopsy seems to make it very clear that buckshot is not the best option for these beasts. I’m glad it worked out!
Definitely, WAB. The first tiger (that I shot in ‘81) actually lived for 7 hours after I shot him with the same shotgun/buckshot combination. 6 of the 8 L.G pellets in the chest had completely failed to get through his frontal chest muscles and into his heart. He only died eventually, because the 2 remaining L.G pellets had hit his throat and ruptured a bunch of blood vessels (which eventually caused congestion). During this time, he circled the hut (from where I had shot him) continuously and actually swam across a huge canal to retreat into the forest (on the other side of the canal) before he expired at 4 A.M. He gave out right before he could enter the forest.

The only reason buckshot EVENTUALLY worked on the 2 man eaters which I shot in ‘81 and ‘88, was because the tigers were sitting and feeding on natural kills when I had fired.

Like this.
3FB3ED52-3A8E-425B-8CB3-E823ABDD88A7.jpeg

Otherwise, you don’t normally get the throat on a frontal shot (esp. at night over torchlight).

After the ‘88 incident, I finally learnt my lesson after decided that there’s a good reason why buckshot is called “Buckshot” and not “Tigershot”. That’s why I eventually bought my 7mm Mauser (with which I shot the last man eater in ‘89). But even he lived for no less than 3 hours after I shot him.

In my opinion, the best medicine for a fully grown male Sundarban tiger would have to be a .500/416 Nitro Express double rifle (as made by Kreighoff) with 26” barrels and a non automatic safety. Regulated for Nosler’s 400Gr Partition soft point factory load.

Habib...I think a double rifle in 450/400 3" (or 3 1/4) loaded with Woodleigh 400 grain softpoint would be great too.. I has less recoil than the 500/416 and is fast to handle..

Fantastic cat Sir..!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross