Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Tanzania, and now Tajikistan
IMG_4508.JPG

I arrived back in Texas on July 3 after 17 days in Namibia. My rifles made it back today July 11.

Lori Spears at @Travel Express worked some magic located them and got them home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, 1 full week later! Glad they made it home!

That's damn good to hear!

Two good company's to work with and glad to see the rifle are back with you. I am sure you had some sleepless nights waiting to hear about the guns.

What appeared to be the hicup @ Jfet???

When people talk about how well Kowas treats you that means when you start home they do everything but walk you onto the plan. Ansie Strauss had driven me to the Windhoek Airport. She walked me up to the ticket counter. She talked the young lady through my check in. Then Ansie took me over to the police station at the airport and walked me through the process of checking my rifles out of the country. We watched the lady put on all the luggage tags include the priority tag. Then we took the rifle case back to luggage check where it was loaded onto the conveyor belt. It was all set to go from Windhoek to J'berg to Frankfurt to DFW and that is where I would pick it up on July 3rd.

Somewhere in the process the South African Police at J'berg airport got ahold of it. Lufthansa could not find it. South African Airlines could not find the rifle case. On July 6th we called Lori at Travel Express. Evidently, she called Henry @riflepermits.com and he found the case with rifles in the police station. Why did they have it? I believe the phrase is "This is Africa."

Bottom line this is why you engage professionals to help you accomplish your goals in life. Jerome has done an amazing job of bringing these professional in the hunting industry together in this one spot we call AH. That gold supporter label is going to stay by my name for a while.

To Lori, Henry, and Jerome thank you very much. (y)(y)(y)

Glad all home safe & sound

Glad it made it home! Nice guncase. I think in hindsight you should have just flown from Windhoek to Frankfurt and skipped JNB.
I lost a gun for 16 days one time and it was frustrating!
Philip

Glad they made it home safe, I hate that feeling not knowing if your rifles alright, hell, I don't like leaving them at home when I'm away. I call them every night just to let them know they are loved. Lol

Glad you found them and got them back!

Threads like this, and my own bad experience at JNB, have me convinced to avoid that airport in all of my future African travels. How is it that Lusaka and Harare can run more efficiently than a huge modern airport like JBG????

Reading the funny papers (RSA news), one finds crime, corruption and nonchalance are becoming more commonplace at O.R. Tambo airport. Tourists are being robbed leaving the airport, a huge currency heist with fake police vehicles occurred within the last few months and now rifles sitting somewhere just waiting to be stolen. Namibia direct flights through Europe are on the horizon for this hunter. Been on this rock over 70 years and from what I've seen, RSA is in a downward spiral.

This is almost too funny, one of the perps got busted after posting his Lambo on social media. Goodfellas, anyone?

http://www.newsweek.com/or-tambo-heist-lamborghini-570798

SOUTH AFRICA: AIRPORT HEIST SUSPECT ‘ARRESTED AFTER POSTING LAMBORGHINI PICTURE’

South African police have reportedly arrested a suspect in an audacious airport heist after he posted pictures on social media of a luxury supercar.

The suspect was arrested Sunday in Centurion, a wealthy area close to the administrative capital Pretoria, according to South African news site Times Live. The arrest took place after the suspect posted pictures on social media of himself posing with a white Lamborghini.

A group of criminals, disguised in police uniforms and driving fake police vehicles, stole millions of rands' worth of foreign currency from a security vehicle at O.R. Tambo International Airport, the main airport in Johannesburg, on March 7. The foreign currency was due to be deposited on a flight to London.

Police have not confirmed how much was stolen, though Times Live reported it was in the region of 200 million rand ($15.8 million). Other news agencies have cited lower figures.

Newsweek contacted South Africa’s elite police unit, the Hawks, for comment on the arrest but received no immediate reply.

South Africa’s acting police chief Khomotso Phahlane has refused to confirm the report. “I’ve seen some pictures on social media. Can people just allow us to conduct an investigation and at a point where we’ve got something credible to come back to mention and report, we’ll do so,” said Phahlane at a press conference, South Africa’s Eyewitness News reported Monday.

Phahlane confirmed last week that four people had been arrested in connection with the heist, one of whom was a police officer. Phahlane said that investigators had not ruled out the possibility that the robbery was an “inside job” orchestrated with the help of police officers.

As well as the suspect with the luxury car, a further four people were arrested over the weekend, according to the BBC.

Social media users in South Africa have mocked the suspect’s apparent carelessness in posting pictures of the luxury vehicle, while others have queried whether the owner had purchased the vehicle long before the heist.

http://www.heraldlive.co.za/news/2017/01/19/us-tourists-attacked-addo-road/

US tourists attacked on Addo Road

An American couple on a sightseeing tour around South Africa was stabbed, tied up and robbed while taking photographs on the Addo Road yesterday.

A police helicopter found the couple in the bush after a farmer alerted police to an abandoned vehicle.

The traumatised tourists – Verna Yocum, 67, and Robert Webb, 61, of Texas – had stopped on the Addo Road at noon to capture some of the scenery on film when five men, one armed with a knife and another with a screwdriver, overpowered them and forced them back into their rented vehicle.

The robbers drove to a bushy area close to Monument Crossing and forced the terrified couple out of the car.

Yocum was stabbed in the hand and arm with a screwdriver as they were pushed out of the vehicle and forced to walk about 400m into the bush, where they were tied up and robbed of their belongings, including cellphones, wallets and jewellery.

The robbers also took their luggage from the boot and then fled on foot.

At 1.15pm, a farmer spotted the couple’s abandoned rental vehicle on the side of the road and alerted police.

A police helicopter was dispatched and the couple was found 20 minutes later.

Yocum’s wounds were treated at the Motherwell Clinic.

After giving their statements at the Swartkops police station at about 4pm, they were questioned further and provided with counselling. They were still at the police station at 8.30pm. Details of the incident were still sketchy last night. Police spokesman Captain Andre Beetge said a case of aggravated robbery had been opened.

The couple declined to comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross