My path to a Blaser R8

Congrats on a nice gun and now you are in the club.

After cleaning and bore-sighting the R8 (9.3x62) made it’s first trip to the range last week. First to the 25yd range to get it on paper. The first shot was fairly close to center, but low left. I made an adjustment and “over adjusted” as the next shot was high right. Another adjustment and shot and felt I was close enough to head to the 100 yd range.
My first 100yd group:
14B7AD02-7B23-4D8D-A363-79FE45372DD0.jpeg
I think I’m going to like this rifle.
After the next group, using a different charge, I went to make an adjustment. It went FAR right. A 3/4” group, but WTF. I made another adjustment and it too was out of wack. When I went to make another adjustment, I noticed the marking on the turret indicated 1/2” per click. The scope website and the box indicated 1/4” adjustments. That answered a lot. The scope is a 1-8x US Optics TS-8x. Once I had that figured out, everything went well. NOTE: The adjustment clicks are very fine.
My view of the R8 is a little different than most of those who have them. For me it unique platform. It is straight pull like the Browning T-Bolt I grew up shooting. It has interchangeable barrels like the T/C Contenders and Encores in rifle and handgun configurations that I’ve used for about forty years. I also, really like the idea of the rifle being cocked or de cocked. The scope mount system is great.
For me the R8 is an upgrade for several rifles and also permits me to use the same platform for some other rounds I want to try. I understand the ability to travel with a smaller case, but I don’t see myself doing that. If I’m going to Africa and hunting DG and PG, the Blaser will have a PG barrel, possibly also taking a .223 for tiny 10, and a DG rifle.
I hope to get to the range one or two more times before it closes for the season. I also now have a .270 barrel I need to start loading for, but that will have to wait until March for the range to reopen. Might also have a .300 Wby barrel by then too.

They are addictive 3 R8’s 1- R93,1 single shot k95
single shot 7rem mag
R93 300 wsm & 375 H&H grade 3 wood
R8 pro hunter savannah 458 Lott & 300 win next bbl 500J
R8 pro green 30-06, 375 H&H, 9.3X 62
R8 grade 2 wood European style stock 30-06 with ai ziess next bbl 270

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross