Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia,....AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI
I have been doing some horse trading lately trying to thin the herd and I came up with an almost new CZ 527 Lux in 22 Hornet. I have had several hornets over the last 15 years but never a CZ. I also had a box of handloaded 45g spritzers that I loaded for a contender that I sold several years ago.

So today is a nice day and I don’t have to work so figured I would take the CZ to the range and burn up the box of handloads and see how it shoots.

I took the front site hood off because I think their ugly and it looked like it was just in the way. Grabbed the rifle, box of shells and my range bag and headed to the gun range.

I started out with the target at 25 yards, shooting off the bench with my coat for a gun rest, and shot the first two shots on the top. Then I realized that I didn’t have the correct tool to adjust the sights with me.
So I changed site picture a little and shot the two on the bottom.
Changed the site picture again and shot the three in the middle.
Moved out to a 4in steel spinner that was propped up against the 100 yard target. Hit it and knocked it over...
so then I moved out to a piece of steel at 185 yds (farthest at this gun range) that’s approx 8” by 2’ propped up vertical.
Hit it 12 for 12....
So I like my new to me CZ and think it might get to stick around for awhile. I think I am just going dial in the sights and play with a few more handloads. And not even worry about scoping it. :)

73370F78-9EF7-4AF7-9EF4-B907079DCCD1.jpeg
72A85897-2E03-4C4F-83DF-46A03A6D69B4.jpeg
BB6B1C79-0C63-43D1-AE2E-4CAF3114BEB0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice rifle Chuck! Every CZ I have owned has been exceptionally accurate, even my little boys 22 is a tack driver. I recently bought a 452 grand finale for a good friend and he is getting great results out of it. I been fixing to pick one up like yours in a 17 hornet or a 222.

I bought the 527 in 204 Ruger. Used it on a turkey and a pig so far, I'm well please with the way it handles and shoots. I was looking at the Hornet but decided on the 204 instead. Just like all CZ's, good looking rig.

Impressive results for open sights and for small game that will be all that is needed as long as your eyes are up to seeing them.
I had a number of hornets years ago and can attest to the accuracy and effectivnes of the little cartridge.
Have to admit to having gone to a 20 cal for my small game now though.

Mekaniks, I am jealous! I used an old H&R 22 Hornet for years in Texas on turkeys. Awful trigger, but when I did my part the turkeys went down. Perfect cartridge for that size game. It had an old Weaver K4 on it.
I have CZs in 22LR, 22WM, 17 HMR, and 223 in Varmint weight. All shoot very well. Your going to really enjoy it!

Mekaniks, I use to use an old H&R 22 Hornet in Texas many years ago for turkeys. It was perfect! Should work great for anything about that size.

I own CZs in 22LR, 22 WM, 17 HMR and 223 varmint 527. They all shoot really well! So I think you’re going to really like the Hornet.

Let us know how it goes please.

It’s a nice looking rifle for sure!

Congrats, most people I met are likely satisfied with CZ rifles accuracy.

I currently have two CZ's and am very happy with both of them.

One is a rim-fire .22/.22mag and the other is a varmint model .223.

Both function extremely well and both shoot tight, consistent groups.

In the smaller cals CZ makes some awesome firearms for the money.

I have always liked working early in the morning. My work schedule is such that I am usually at work by 4:00 am. But then I am home getting an old guy nap in the middle of the day when the family is gone:). The downside to all that is when I have a day off I am still up at 0400....
So, this morning I got up early as usual. But I went straight to my reloading bench and stomped out 20 hand loads for this 22 hornet.
I started with 12.5 grains of 1680 behind Speer 45g spire points. The Old Speer book (13) had 12.5 as the max. The new Speer book (14) has a max of 13g. I figured I would start with 12.5 and see where it goes.
When it got light out I grabbed my gun, Caldwell sand bag, range bag and headed to the gun range.
Like I noted above the gun was shooting to the left last time and I didn’t have the tool to adjust it.
I set the target up at 50 yards and this time I remembered and adjusted the rear site before I started shooting.... The wrong direction :rolleyes:.....
So I spent the next 10 rounds getting it dialed back in......duh.
But, after chasing it across the paper I had 5 rounds left. I changed the target, loaded the clip with the 5 cartridges and settled in a took all 5 shots without getting in a hurry. This was the results.... the one on the left was the last shot and I pulled it a little and knew it when I did it. But, dang I am happy with this little gun.(y)
I think I am gonna stomp out a few more rounds with 13g to see if it changes at all and in the mean time see if I can find a good 2-7 or fixed 3x scope and some QD rings for it.
I think it’s gonna be a tack driver:)

F1181D61-F908-41D8-B16E-3C5A4AB73209.jpeg

I have been doing some horse trading lately trying to thin the herd and I came up with an almost new CZ 527 Lux in 22 Hornet. I have had several hornets over the last 15 years but never a CZ. I also had a box of handloaded 45g spritzers that I loaded for a contender that I sold several years ago.

So today is a nice day and I don’t have to work so figured I would take the CZ to the range and burn up the box of handloads and see how it shoots.

I took the front site hood off because I think their ugly and it looked like it was just in the way. Grabbed the rifle, box of shells and my range bag and headed to the gun range.

I started out with the target at 25 yards, shooting off the bench with my coat for a gun rest, and shot the first two shots on the top. Then I realized that I didn’t have the correct tool to adjust the sights with me.
So I changed site picture a little and shot the two on the bottom.
Changed the site picture again and shot the three in the middle.
Moved out to a 4in steel spinner that was propped up against the 100 yard target. Hit it and knocked it over...
so then I moved out to a piece of steel at 185 yds (farthest at this gun range) that’s approx 8” by 2’ propped up vertical.
Hit it 12 for 12....
So I like my new to me CZ and think it might get to stick around for awhile. I think I am just going dial in the sights and play with a few more handloads. And not even worry about scoping it. :)

View attachment 237978 View attachment 237979 View attachment 237980
@Mekaniks
I love the hornet for small game. Hogdon Lilgun is the ducks guts powder for it. Higher velocities and lower pressure.
I use a 22K Hornet on a lowall. Beautifully accurate.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!