My New (Old) Rifle!

Hi y'all.

So due to... uh, reasons, I'm pretty much stuck with this POS. Unless I can sell it off (PM me if you're interested, I know I'll be taking a loss but maybe someone will have a better use for it than I do), I guess my only alternative is to toss it in the river or something 'cause I see no point in trying to go through with a rebuild, nor do I especially want to sink the sheer amount of money into it when I've already overspent. I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to sell it, if anyone has them.

Thanks,
W.G.455
That action, mounts and scope are worth way more than you think. The mounts are called "Einhack Montage" and were used on rifles in Germany and Austria....... If you could find an older Frankonia Jagt magazine or web page, you would see that they were exorbitantly expensive and needed to be fitted by really good gunsmith so as to be removed within 0,5 sec and retain zero when replaced. These mounts with the open sights were used on bigger calibers when hunting dangerous game so they could be removed instantly and follow up shots fired with the open sights in the event of a charge. Your rifle being 8x57 would probably have been used on European wild boar and the are well known to charge when harassed or wounded. The scope is an old German Hensholdt scope which was really excellent quality for the day and would command a decent price by a collector should you decide to sell it....... which I wouldn't. The action with the double set trigger is also worth a good amount and is an excellent and reliable big game action. If your barrel is shot out, by all means replace it....... even with the mild mannered 9,3x62, if it's still in good condition, keep the caliber.......I had an original Obendorf sportier in 8x57 that I took many game species with, Including Eland bulls in excess of 1000kg so it does not lack killing power....... it actually out performs the 3006 with hand loads....... a very under estimated and versatile cartridge. As regards the stock, it's current state and design are not condusive to taming recoil and do no justice to the rest of the rifle. A classic stock with straight lines will do much better. All the above taken into consideration, the original craftsmanship left a lot to be desired, but should you decide to rebuild and use a suitably qualified gunsmith and stick design, I'm sure you'd have a really nice and good rifle. BTW, forget about the rear peep sight as I've already explained the reason for the open sights. Im from South Africa and was a PH for many years and I still have a 9,3x64 with the same setup as what I suggested.......its an absolute awesome rifle, so I'm speaking from First hand experience. I hope you find this info helpfull, regards, Eddie

IMG_20200916_160642.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That action, mounts and scope are worth way more than you think. The mounts are called "Einhack Montage" and were used on rifles in Germany and Austria....... If you could find an older Frankonia Jagt magazine or web page, you would see that they were exorbitantly expensive and needed to be fitted by really good gunsmith so as to be removed within 0,5 sec and retain zero when replaced. These mounts with the open sights were used on bigger calibers when hunting dangerous game so they could be removed instantly and follow up shots fired with the open sights in the event of a charge. Your rifle being 8x57 would probably have been used on European wild boar and the are well known to charge when harassed or wounded. The scope is an old German Hensholdt scope which was really excellent quality for the day and would command a decent price by a collector should you decide to sell it....... which I wouldn't. The action with the double set trigger is also worth a good amount and is an excellent and reliable big game action. If your barrel is shot out, by all means replace it....... even with the mild mannered 9,3x62, if it's still in good condition, keep the caliber.......I had an original Obendorf sportier in 8x57 that I took many game species with, Including Eland bulls in excess of 1000kg so it does not lack killing power....... it actually out performs the 3006 with hand loads....... a very under estimated and versatile cartridge. As regards the stock, it's current state and design are not condusive to taming recoil and do no justice to the rest of the rifle. A classic stock with straight lines will do much better. All the above taken into consideration, the original craftsmanship left a lot to be desired, but should you decide to rebuild and use a suitably qualified gunsmith and stick design, I'm sure you'd have a really nice and good rifle. BTW, forget about the rear peep sight as I've already explained the reason for the open sights. Im from South Africa and was a PH for many years and I still have a 9,3x64 with the same setup as what I suggested.......its an absolute awesome rifle, so I'm speaking from First hand experience. I hope you find this info helpfull, regards, Eddie
Good morning, Eddie. I no longer have the rifle, actually. It was an unpleasant experience dealing with that weapon, I'm afraid, and both it and the gun are long gone from my mind.

However, sometime this coming week or so I hope to remedy the lack of a Africa-worthy Mauser. We'll see how that one goes.

~~W.G.455

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross