My lightweight rifle build

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
While I was working away I had access to a neighbouring property to hunt pigs. I walked the creek often to kill time and get some exercise.
I decided I wanted a lightweight rifle for regular carry, a mountain rifle basically.
First thought was buy a Carbon Fibre stock. I found there was an Aussie manufacturer who make Bolly propellers for light aircraft. They also operate Precision Defence Industries (PDI)
I was given the opportunity to handle a Bolly stock and even test shoot their engineers personal rifle in .308. I was concerned a light rifle might accentuate the perceived recoil. I took some Winchester 180gn factory loads to try.
The recoil was tame given the lightweight and heavy load. Mark explained this is addressed in the design and structure of the stock to ensure proper fit and function. They were finalising the design of the Gen3 version. Mark suggested I go on on a waiting list for that.
When the time came I was able to purchase one of the new release Gen3 models and also acquired an Atlas Works bottom metal on advice from Mark (The engineer)

Being impressed by the performance of my 7mm-08 and this lead to numerous discussions with members and others. I researched 7x57 leading to discussions about the 7x64 vs .280. I learned about the 7mmSTW and the .280ai came into the mix. Same bolt face as a .30-06 and an easy conversion.

I researched the .280a.i. I received input from many members and one even sent me some dummy rounds to see what I was looking into. I had read a lot by this stage and he had been hunting with the .280a.i. for years so I took it he knew a bit about it. I read mostly good things , enough to convince myself of what I wanted to believe.

16474960493802166673637440710737.jpg

I had never owned a Wildcat chambering, the 7mm-08 was the most obscure round I had ever owned. I read about the .284, 7mmSAW and the 7SAUM.
No , I decided I was happy with the proper headstamped brass, Redding die set and relatively well known improved version of the .280 and it's actually a SAAMI spec cartridge.
Ka-Ching, on the card a few calls here and there I had cases and dies arranged.

I ordered an IBI Carbon Wrapped barrel and had it sent to Accuracy Matters in Griffith. As luck would have it I was introduced to Darren and he done some work for me while I was working down that way. He was seeing good results with IBI barrels so I thought I would try a Carbon Wrapped version. IBI C/F are much cheaper than the big names and the contour is a great fit in my PDI/Bolly stock.
Darren does a great job with impeccable machining skills. He is a competitive F Class shooter and builds precision rifles.
16474974816364265768930320029658.jpg

Next step, I finds a new shop soiled Tikka T3x in .25-06 for $900, provided card details and had it shipped to Accuracy Matters.

I called in on Darren to discuss my plans, as luck would have it he had a new .280a.i. reamer in transit. Well, things were going smoothly. I selected parts in the background and the gunsmith had everything delivered to him making his part straight forward. He was impressed with way the barrel profile and stock fit up and I was impressed with his work.

I switched out the bolt handle for a Titanium 3d printed version from MTN a New Zealand company. At just 9 grams it is the lightest I know of.

I should have written this ages ago but I was debating scopes. I really wanted a Swarovski scope but I had a new Leupold VX3i that was an impulse buy sitting idle. By chance that was upgraded to a CDL model when the store could not supply the order. Oh well, suits the lightweight rifle theme. I won't hunt as high and hard as some but I have "My Mountain Rifle" completed.

Thanks to all of the enablers and contributors.

Let's hope Woodleigh projectiles get back in production, My Aussie stock and Aussie projectiles have impressed me when I achieved a fairly tight group with a lightweight rifle.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 7.45.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 7.45.34 AM.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 7.45.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 7.45.36 AM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 7.45.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 7.45.38 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 7.45.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 7.45.41 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 7.45.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 7.45.43 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 7.45.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 7.45.45 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 7.45.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 7.45.47 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Congratulations on getting your rifle put together the way you wanted. I hope you have many great hunts with it.

Congratulations on the build! Any pics of the final build?

Yes, its in the background but i will get a clearer pic. For some reason phone is not cooperating with website so well.

Nothing quite like the pleasure of the research and decision making that goes into a new rifle and when it is a custom build then it intensifies dramatically. You have done the research so now you get to reap the rewards.

You want more reading?
Initial testing was just to get it on paper.
I also bought a cheap Chronograph so I was testing velocities.
Things were inconsistent, I feel the first Woodleigh s were jammed in theands creating higher pressures and velocity.

Back to the drawing board , measure, reset dies etc.

Next trip 3 loads to try. Now remember I'm a shooter and hunter not a competition shooter.
The results are in the pics above.
No wind but an impressive target for me.
The only one I've done better was on the same day with a .308 rebarreled by the same bloke at Accuracy Matters.
As for the .280ai I'm hoping to hunt with it around Easter.

that is going to work just fine.

While I was working away I had access to a neighbouring property to hunt pigs. I walked the creek often to kill time and get some exercise.
I decided I wanted a lightweight rifle for regular carry, a mountain rifle basically.
First thought was buy a Carbon Fibre stock. I found there was an Aussie manufacturer who make Bolly propellers for light aircraft. They also operate Precision Defence Industries (PDI)
I was given the opportunity to handle a Bolly stock and even test shoot their engineers personal rifle in .308. I was concerned a light rifle might accentuate the perceived recoil. I took some Winchester 180gn factory loads to try.
The recoil was tame given the lightweight and heavy load. Mark explained this is addressed in the design and structure of the stock to ensure proper fit and function. They were finalising the design of the Gen3 version. Mark suggested I go on on a waiting list for that.
When the time came I was able to purchase one of the new release Gen3 models and also acquired an Atlas Works bottom metal on advice from Mark (The engineer)

Being impressed by the performance of my 7mm-08 and this lead to numerous discussions with members and others. I researched 7x57 leading to discussions about the 7x64 vs .280. I learned about the 7mmSTW and the .280ai came into the mix. Same bolt face as a .30-06 and an easy conversion.

I researched the .280a.i. I received input from many members and one even sent me some dummy rounds to see what I was looking into. I had read a lot by this stage and he had been hunting with the .280a.i. for years so I took it he knew a bit about it. I read mostly good things , enough to convince myself of what I wanted to believe.

View attachment 457605

I had never owned a Wildcat chambering, the 7mm-08 was the most obscure round I had ever owned. I read about the .284, 7mmSAW and the 7SAUM.
No , I decided I was happy with the proper headstamped brass, Redding die set and relatively well known improved version of the .280 and it's actually a SAAMI spec cartridge.
Ka-Ching, on the card a few calls here and there I had cases and dies arranged.

I ordered an IBI Carbon Wrapped barrel and had it sent to Accuracy Matters in Griffith. As luck would have it I was introduced to Darren and he done some work for me while I was working down that way. He was seeing good results with IBI barrels so I thought I would try a Carbon Wrapped version. IBI C/F are much cheaper than the big names and the contour is a great fit in my PDI/Bolly stock.
Darren does a great job with impeccable machining skills. He is a competitive F Class shooter and builds precision rifles.
View attachment 457613
Next step, I finds a new shop soiled Tikka T3x in .25-06 for $900, provided card details and had it shipped to Accuracy Matters.

I called in on Darren to discuss my plans, as luck would have it he had a new .280a.i. reamer in transit. Well, things were going smoothly. I selected parts in the background and the gunsmith had everything delivered to him making his part straight forward. He was impressed with way the barrel profile and stock fit up and I was impressed with his work.

I switched out the bolt handle for a Titanium 3d printed version from MTN a New Zealand company. At just 9 grams it is the lightest I know of.

I should have written this ages ago but I was debating scopes. I really wanted a Swarovski scope but I had a new Leupold VX3i that was an impulse buy sitting idle. By chance that was upgraded to a CDL model when the store could not supply the order. Oh well, suits the lightweight rifle theme. I won't hunt as high and hard as some but I have "My Mountain Rifle" completed.

Thanks to all of the enablers and contributors.

Let's hope Woodleigh projectiles get back in production, My Aussie stock and Aussie projectiles have impressed me when I achieved a fairly tight group with a lightweight rifle.
Please tell me more about the Atlas bottom metal as i have a Tikka T3 ultra lite in 6.5x55 in a B&C stock.

It's an Aluminium bottom metal. I've seen several versions and brands.

The engineer suggested I use one as they found they can tension them higher than the factory plastic version. He said they find they shoot better with these installed.

I'm sure you can apply more tension and the stock is formed in such a way that you do not require bedding or pillars.

Granted they sell these but I can't complain about the performance if I don't take their advice.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 8.38.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 8.38.35 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 8.38.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 8.38.37 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 8.38.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 8.38.39 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 50

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaylonTova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!