My Latest Purchase 35 Whelen

Brian you actually helped guide me through the process of making ammunition for this rifle on another forum when I first got it. I owe you a big thank you for my newest obsession with Mannlichers. The 1905 dovetails nicely with my 35 caliber obsession. I did find that the 358 size bullets were not very accurate so I bought a staging die and reduce bullet size to 356 and shrank group sizes considerably. I have now taken 3 whitetail deer with it and am currently planning a trip to Georgia to hunt wild boar with it. I dream of taking it and my 9.3x62 to Africa. Thank you again for all the information and assistance you have provided me.

I have used both and performance on game I notice no difference. The main difference as I see it is that you have the option to use heavier bullets up to 325 grains and solids are available for the 9.3. In north America I would say they are darn near interchangeable.
MS9x56
In the 35 caliber you can get 310grain woodleigh solids and RNSP as well as the 225 grain hydrostatic stabilized projectiles for the ultimate in straight line penetration.
Cheers mate Bob

I owe you a big thank you for my newest obsession with Mannlichers.
Thank you again for all the information and assistance you have provided me.

Excellent, exxxcelllent (insert 'evil genius' laugh while wringing hands).
My diabolical plan has come together!

The plan, of course, to promote appreciation of, preservation of, along with the care and feeding of Herren Mannlicher and Schoenauer's works of engineering artistry.

38270266uv.jpg
38270267po.jpg

Ferd & Otto

If you have any feral hogs in your area the 9X56 should do a wonderful job of 'thinning' them.

Here's Director John Huston on location for The African Queen with two MS laid out alongside:
38270264fu.jpg

Here with MS in hand as Bogart and Bacall look on:
38270265dz.jpg

Attachments

• 38270264fu.jpg
    38270264fu.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 38270265dz.jpg
    38270265dz.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 38270266uv.jpg
    38270266uv.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 79
  • 38270267po.jpg
    38270267po.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:
I humbly submit that those of us that go afield with Winchesters, Remingtons, Rugers, sporterized Springfields CZs and the like are well served by scopes from Leopold, Nikon etc. while those that carry real Rigbys etc need S & B s, Sworos, Zeiss etc. However at the end of the day both groups of hunters (with a little luck) can keep the stew pot filled with meat. The choice of rifle and scope is simply a matter of perspective. To each, his own as they say.
@Shootist43
Art I go afield with a Stevens 200/savage 110 topped with a Ziess. So where do I sit in the equation.
I suppose in the first group with a bit of the second so I don't seem biased.
Bob

@Shootist43
Art I go afield with a Stevens 200/savage 110 topped with a Ziess. So where do I sit in the equation.
I suppose in the first group with a bit of the second so I don't seem biased.
Bob
If you hunt deer on opening day, rolling out of bed with a rifle by 9am, about anything will work. If you hunt antelope at noon at 300 yards any 20x Tasco will do. But if you hunt at 30 mins before and after sun at the legal start and stop, your light gathering better be extraordinary.

For the price of a vortex (trash) my 6 year old had a used Schmidt & Bender. If you don’t have the money for a new scope of high quality you can always buy used.

If you hunt deer on opening day, rolling out of bed with a rifle by 9am, about anything will work. If you hunt antelope at noon at 300 yards any 20x Tasco will do. But if you hunt at 30 mins before and after sun at the legal start and stop, your light gathering better be extraordinary.

For the price of a vortex (trash) my 6 year old had a used Schmidt & Bender. If you don’t have the money for a new scope of high quality you can always buy used.
@rookhawk
The Ziess 3 to 9X40 works just fine, before dawn and after sunset on 3 power and has the ideal reticle.
Bob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg