My Latest Purchase 35 Whelen

Bob, I am aware that a 35 Whelen can be loaded to outshine a 9.3 x 62's original ballistics by using lighter bullets. However if one was to reduce the bullet weight for the 9.3 x 62 to something comparable what do you think would be the outcome?

Bob, I am aware that a 35 Whelen can be loaded to outshine a 9.3 x 62's original ballistics by using lighter bullets. However if one was to reduce the bullet weight for the 9.3 x 62 to something comparable what do you think would be the outcome?
Shootist43
According to the Hogdon site with a 250 grain bullet you can get close on 2,500 fps out of the 9.3, but that is at 49,000cup. With judicious loading I can't see why this couldn't be increased to 51,000cup.
Nosler lists Varget for a 250 grain for 2,500 fps and this is their max load. A,bit hard to say. When you get load from a disc you will have fun working it out.
Cheers mate Bob

bob,
I have always wondered how the sierra 225 gn bullet goes in the whelen for pigs and deer.
who better to ask than you?
bruce.
Bruce moulds
They are extremely accurate in my 35 but I have yet to try them on game. I was going to try them next weekend but this virus stuffed that idea up.
As soon as I get the chance I will let you know.
For some unknown reason I only get a bit over 2,700 fps with them. Probably due to the short bearing surface not being able to generate the pressure needed. That was with 2208 before I got cfe223 tho. Hopefully the cfe223 will give them a kick in the arse they need.
Didn't use them in Namibia because of reviews I read of them coming apart at close range but they are supposed to be good past 175 yards as they hold together better at longer ranges. Will just have to see.
Cheers mate Bob

bob,
I have always wondered how the sierra 225 gn bullet goes in the whelen for pigs and deer.
bruce.
Bruce moulds
Bruce I've also loaded up some 200 grain Hornaday FTXs and Interlocks to try on pigs. These are loaded to match the hornaday superformance loads so should be devastating. The hit about an inch tiger at 100 yards than the 225s.
If any one has tried these on pigs ad deer please post.
Ted Mitchell tried them in his 358 Mitchell Express but found them to be lacking on red deer.
Cheers mate Bob

bob,
bruce.
I have fired exactly one of these bullets at a deer. It was whitetail buck at about 20M broadside. Bullet was loaded to book maximum from my .35 Whelen. I don't recall the powder charge. I was hunting in new falling snow. I was sneaking through some spruce and saw the buck coming towards me, completely unaware of my presence. Crosshairs were just in the crease behind the shoulder. No brush between us. When I fired the buck ran off like nothing happened. I tracked him for more than 100 meters and there was no blood, no sign of a hit. Kept going because I couldn't believe I missed an easy shot like that. Found the buck perhaps 200M away from the shot site, still no blood. When I dressed and skinned him I found that Sierra bullet had made a .35 caliber hole in, through the centre of both lungs and out the other side. It was a fat deer with thick winter hair. No blood made it to the outside. The bullet didn't appear to expand at all. The hole in the lungs was the size of my finger. That is a sample of one, but one was enough for me. I never used that Sierra 225 gr. bullet for hunting again.

Bob, not sure if this answers your question but the term I would use to describe the effect on hogs from using Hornady's 200 Gr. Superformance is DEVISTATING. I'm hoping my son who actually used the load will chime in with details.

Bob, the 200 grain Hornady Superformance is my go to load for hogs and deer. At the advertised 2910 fps the 200 grain Hornady interlock is explosive and devastating, I have taken over a dozen hogs and 3 white tail deer with that load and everything except the last buck I shot was bang flop DRT and the buck only went 8 yards.

In my 41 years of hunting experience I have never found a more effective combination then the 35 Whelen and the 200 grain Hornady Superformance. I switched from the 270 and 30-06 to the 35 Whelen because I want to do all hunting before I pull the trigger and not after and so far the 200 grain Hornady Superformance has never let me down.

If I where going on a bear hunt I would switch to the 250 NP the 200 grain interlock is a soft bullet and will disintegrate when it hits large heavy bone under 150 yards.

the only 35 cal bullet I have used on pigs was the old 200 gn Hornady round nose in a 358 win at 2500 fps.
the idea was to have a kind of super 30/30.
this bullet was very fast opening and killed emphatically with side on chest shots, and while dropping quite big pigs suddenly with texas heart shots was not a good killer with same.
I suspect it would have been a sure killer on smaller species of deer with chest shots.
but not enough bullet for the south end of a north facing sambar.
in retrospect the bullet might have been more suited to the 35 rem cartridge.
that was before all the interlock and other stuff Hornady came out with.
if the bullet is still even available, it might just be the same bullet with a different name.
with the modern desire for vld bullets, round noses seem less popular.
this reminds me of reading about someone who found a deer about 400 yds away and BACKED OFF by 400 /500 yds to get a long shot.
what has happened to hunting ethics?
bruce.

the only 35 cal bullet I have used on pigs was the old 200 gn Hornady round nose in a 358 win at 2500 fps.
the idea was to have a kind of super 30/30.
this bullet was very fast opening and killed emphatically with side on chest shots, and while dropping quite big pigs suddenly with texas heart shots was not a good killer with same.
I suspect it would have been a sure killer on smaller species of deer with chest shots.
but not enough bullet for the south end of a north facing sambar.
in retrospect the bullet might have been more suited to the 35 rem cartridge.
that was before all the interlock and other stuff Hornady came out with.
if the bullet is still even available, it might just be the same bullet with a different name.
with the modern desire for vld bullets, round noses seem less popular.
this reminds me of reading about someone who found a deer about 400 yds away and BACKED OFF by 400 /500 yds to get a long shot.
what has happened to hunting ethics?
bruce.
Bruce moulds
According to hornaday the 200 grain round nose is discontinued but I'm sure Woodleigh still make one.
On a 400 yard shot I will try and move IN another 2-300 yards.
I will only take a 400 yard shot if no other option and then reluctantly or not at all. The animal deserves a clean demise 1 shot one kill.
Stalk closer and shoot straighter.
Cheers mate Bob

I've been thinking about this cartridge for quite a few Months,,I don't Know what draws me to these not so common Calibers Maybe I just want something someone else doesn't have or perhaps there are some kind of caliber or a Ballistic gap but the caliber intrigues me,it's a step up from my other wildcat 338-06 and less than my 375HH so It will fill a niche,also the parent cartridge is an 06 that needs to be open up to accept the 35 cal. Anyway after quite a few searches with no results except buying new I decided maybe the typical Savage Barrel swap was the only way to go until I spotted a Ruger in 35 Whelen at a Cabelas in Colorado, but I was a day late and the Ruger was Sold, however the guy in the Gun library said the customer swapped in an old Remington also in 35 Whelen so after looking at a few Pics of the Remington I managed to work out a deal and Bought the Remington. It needs the stock re-finished but thats a project I can do over the cold Minnesota winter, heres a Picture of the old guy which serial# shows built in 1982 I believeView attachment 159596
Nice buy. I have often thought that the .35 Whelen would be the perfect African plains game gun.

Sectional density may trump bullet weight but in my option bullet construction helps a lot as well
I would prefer to hit a wildebeest with a 225 grain accubond at 2,850fps with close on 4,000fp of energy than a high sectional density 175gn 7mm cup and core with 3,400 fpe
The animal sure knows it's been hit when you smack it with a big 35 cal.
Placement trumps everything tho .

Yes that’s true.
In my younger days I was concerned about absolute max velocity.
Funny how as you get older things mellow.

Yes that’s true.
In my younger days I was concerned about absolute max velocity.
Funny how as you get older things mellow.
Dr Ray
I was only interested in bringing out the potential of the Whelen with newer powder. It had been hamstrung for so long with absurdly low velocity and pressure.
What I get is it's full potential without being stupid. It's amazing what you can do with the old cartridges in New rifles with new powders. Look at the good old 06, it used to be loaded with a 150grain bullet for 27to 2800 fps now you can safely boost it to over 3,000fps without straining it.
Nick Harvey wrote a good article breathing new life into old cartridges. Very enlightening.
I just did the same to the Whelen
Cheers mate Bob.

Dr Ray
I was only interested in bringing out the potential of the Whelen with newer powder. It had been hamstrung for so long with absurdly low velocity and pressure.
What I get is it's full potential without being stupid. It's amazing what you can do with the old cartridges in New rifles with new powders. Look at the good old 06, it used to be loaded with a 150grain bullet for 27to 2800 fps now you can safely boost it to over 3,000fps without straining it.
Nick Harvey wrote a good article breathing new life into old cartridges. Very enlightening.
I just did the same to the Whelen
Cheers mate Bob.

Well said

I've been thinking about this cartridge for quite a few Months,,I don't Know what draws me to these not so common Calibers Maybe I just want something someone else doesn't have or perhaps there are some kind of caliber or a Ballistic gap but the caliber intrigues me,it's a step up from my other wildcat 338-06 and less than my 375HH so It will fill a niche,also the parent cartridge is an 06 that needs to be open up to accept the 35 cal. Anyway after quite a few searches with no results except buying new I decided maybe the typical Savage Barrel swap was the only way to go until I spotted a Ruger in 35 Whelen at a Cabelas in Colorado, but I was a day late and the Ruger was Sold, however the guy in the Gun library said the customer swapped in an old Remington also in 35 Whelen so after looking at a few Pics of the Remington I managed to work out a deal and Bought the Remington. It needs the stock re-finished but thats a project I can do over the cold Minnesota winter, heres a Picture of the old guy which serial# shows built in 1982 I believeView attachment 159596
The 35 whelen was my introduction to the mid-bores. My first was a 1917 that had been rebored to 35 whelen. It was outfitted with a thumbhole stock. it shot well and I took several deer with it before trading it on a Remington 750 in 35 Whelen. Next came a BLR in 358 win, then a Marlin 336 in 35 rem. I love the thump of the 35. Never had to shoot anything twice. I reload for all of them and so can customize loads for individual animals and hunts. Finally my life long dream of owning a Mannlicher came up and even better it was a 9x56 model 1905 built in 1921. The price was steep as I had to part with my Remington 750. This just further encouraged my dreams of hunting Africa. Good luck with your Whelen and good hunting.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the recoil. I've had 06's kick harder. My classic is a pleasure to shoot.
I have not found any of the 35's recoil to be excessive. More like a push than the slap of a 338 win mag. All those years of hunting deer with 12 gauge slugs have been good practice.

Yes I believe 185 grain 358 bullets would be to light for the game mentioned. Wildebeest and Zebra have tough hides and can be tough to put down. The light weight for calibre pills often lack the penetration needed, especially as ranges increase. 225grain 358 bullets would be the lightest I would use and would prefer 250grain bullets to ensure good penetration.
That is exactly y why when I do make it to the dark continent my 35's will not be accompanying me. I will bring my CZ550 FS in 9.3x62 as Witold recommends so highly. And I will not load it with 250 accubonds ( my favorite for NA game) but with proper 286 grain partitions or A frames.

I just reread this entire thread and have a question. I have a 9.3x62. How does the 35 Whelen compare? Is there much difference between the two?
I have used both and performance on game I notice no difference. The main difference as I see it is that you have the option to use heavier bullets up to 325 grains and solids are available for the 9.3. In north America I would say they are darn near interchangeable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg