My Latest Purchase 35 Whelen

I believe the 160gr bullet (especially the longer Barnes) is about perfect in the 7mm RM caliber. Good ballistic coefficient and sectional density. A hunting acquaintance uses this bullet weight for elk and deer. But I believe what Rule303 is saying, is that when one goes up in caliber, a heavier bullet is needed to maintain good bullet BC and SD? As an example, I use 225gr bullets in my .338WM. 210gr might be OK, but 185gr bullets in that caliber, don’t have a good BC or SD? They probably would work OK, but I’ll stick with the 225gr with a great BC and SD. Just my 2 centavos?
I agree. Sectional density and bullet construction trump bullet weight as far as penetration is concerned.

I agree. Sectional density and bullet construction trump bullet weight as far as penetration is concerned.
Sectional density may trump bullet weight but in my option bullet construction helps a lot as well
I would prefer to hit a wildebeest with a 225 grain accubond at 2,850fps with close on 4,000fp of energy than a high sectional density 175gn 7mm cup and core with 3,400 fpe
The animal sure knows it's been hit when you smack it with a big 35 cal.
Placement trumps everything tho .

The Coolest thing about owning a 35 Whelen is our secret Hand Shake
Just received a bulletin from the White House that because of the Corona Virus outbreak all Secret Handshakes have been suspended til further notice

Never used 250gr only.225
And with nosler data.
This gun likes to be pushed.
http://load-data.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/pdf/35-whelen/35-Whelen-225gr.pdf
I used reloader 15 at their max of 59gr if I back off 1/2 grain it opens the group to a inch.
Col 3.520 no trouble in my rifle with hitting lands these cartridges will not work in the pump actions will not go in the mag.
Shaun54
I had the same with Varget, loves running top load with the 225 accubonds 3/4 inch groups 2,850 fps.
Cheers mate Bob

Congrats, great cartridge Rob! I've got a CDL and a Classic 35 Whelen. Also got a 375 Whelen Improved which I have been obsessed with for the past few months. Can't wait to get some proper head stamped brass and take it for plains game.
I've shot a couple elk with the whelen and it has done a great job for me.
The odd cartridges keep the reloader interested and are just fun to experiment with.
Cheers,
Cody
Bullthrower338
Is it the 375AI or normal.
Bob

Now that just put me over the hump. ;)

RECOIL Question (hopefully from actual experience):
I need to cut back on "perceived" recoil by about 20% compared to my 338 Win Mag (sans brake), to meet my personal threshold. Will the 35 Whelen get me there?

The 338 WM is ~8.5 pounds unloaded. Ammo is TTSX 185s at 2,900 fps (3,452 ft lbs); and 210s at 2,781 fps (3,606 ft lbs). (My perceived recoil difference - with and without muzzle brake - on the 338 WM is about 20%).

Anticaped 35 Whelen load is a 225 grain (NP or A-Frame) at 2,550 fps, (3,249 ft lbs). This would be a bushveld load, btw. Target weight for the scoped 35W is 8.5 to 9 pounds. A 200 gr TTSX at ~2,750fps is also a possible.

Free recoil tables seem to indicate my target could be met, but I've never fired a 35 Whelen.
Shootist~
Loaded to it potential the Whelen is still pleasant to shoot.
225grain accubonds 2,850 fps, 4,000 fps.
250 grain Speer hotcore at 2,700 fps, 4,000 for
225 grain woodleigh 2,950 fps, 4300 fps.
Even with a stuffed shoulder I can shoot these well but a muzzle brake makes it more like a,stout 308.
Cheers mate Bob

Ok I checked my load book and loaded with
57gs of RL15 using 225 Noslers I clocked 2517fps
59Gs of Win 748 using the same bullet I clocked 2510
I never tried to increase the amount of powder as I was real happy with the accuracy, the Win 748 gave me the best groups
Rob404
Alliant used to list 59 grains of Rl15 for the 250 grain for a similar speed and it was always safe. Can't figure why they dropped it to 53 grains.
Cheers mate Bob

I just reread this entire thread and have a question. I have a 9.3x62. How does the 35 Whelen compare? Is there much difference between the two?

As much as I like my T3X in 6.5x55, it would be way easier to rebarrel a Savage (not to mention cheaper). And in any case, you can call their custom shop and see what the upcharge would be. I'm betting it's not more than a couple hundred above MSRP.

As far as MRC, I've corresponded with them on non-standard calibers. I don't recall the exact number, but it seems as though the up-charge for non-standard caliber is only about $250, give or take a little. I'd reach out to Ron directly here @Montana Rifle Company .

Also, hunting season in Montana kicked off about 3 weeks ago. They may be running a little light at the moment considering their location at the edge of a lot of good public hunting in NW Montana.
Sgt Zim
20200201_135545.jpg

Stevens 200/savage 110 rebarreled to 35 Whelan 25 inch stainless barrel 1in 12 twist and rifle basix trigger.
Shoots little buggers holes and a pussy cat.
Cheers mate Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Wade, I've taken a 35 Whelen to Africa on both of my Safaris. On the first safari both of my sons took a 35 Whelen as well. The lightest bullet we used was a 225 grainer. Most African PH(s) prefer slower heavier bullets over light weight speedy ones. Midway currently has Buffalo Bore 225 Gr. available for $46.99 a box. Give them a try.
Shootist43
Nosler also custom load the Whelen with the 225 accubonds @ 2,850fps.
Cheers mate Bob

Bob, in 2016 both of my sons and I went on a Safari to Africa. Each of us brought a 35 Whelen and a back-up rifle. We had three different types of ammo with us. My oldest son was using custom loaded Nosler 250 Gr. Partitions, my youngest son was using factory 225 Gr Nosler Accubonds and I was using my handloads with 225 Gr Barnes TSX. Lets just say that Nosler's published data for their 225(s) is a bit optimistic, either that or their test barrel was considerably longer than 24 inches. ;);) My loads at 2,730 FPS were the fastest over two different chronographs.

I just reread this entire thread and have a question. I have a 9.3x62. How does the 35 Whelen compare? Is there much difference between the two?
Newboomer
That's a bit like asking how two peas in a pod compare. BOTH perform well on game. The heavy load in the Whelen is 250grains, the 9.3 is 286 grains. The Whelen can be loaded to excede the 9.3. Depending on where you hunt the 9.3 may be more readily available.
Some places in Africa allow the 9.3 to be used on DG,but not the Whelen.
For all intents and purposes they are identical for use on non dangerous game.
Cheers mate Bob Nelson

Bob, in 2016 both of my sons and I went on a Safari to Africa. Each of us brought a 35 Whelen and a back-up rifle. We had three different types of ammo with us. My oldest son was using custom loaded Nosler 250 Gr. Partitions, my youngest son was using factory 225 Gr Nosler Accubonds and I was using my handloads with 225 Gr Barnes TSX. Lets just say that Nosler's published data for their 225(s) is a bit optimistic, either that or their test barrel was considerably longer than 24 inches. ;);) My loads at 2,730 FPS were the fastest over two different chronographs.
Shootist43
Nosler use 26 inch barrel in testing the Whelen. My barrel is 25 inches plus 1.5 inches of muzzle brake.
Cheers mate Bob

Newboomer
That's a bit like asking how two peas in a pod compare. BOTH perform well on game. The heavy load in the Whelen is 250grains, the 9.3 is 286 grains. The Whelen can be loaded to excede the 9.3. Depending on where you hunt the 9.3 may be more readily available.
Some places in Africa allow the 9.3 to be used on DG,but not the Whelen.
For all intents and purposes they are identical for use on non dangerous game.
Cheers mate Bob Nelson
Bob,
Thanks. That was my impression from what I've read. They seem to be too close to call. I like the thought of the 9.3 for dg with a heavy loaded 286 gr. and the 250 for pg. Kind of a one gun for all like the 375HH.

Bob,
Thanks. That was my impression from what I've read. They seem to be too close to call. I like the thought of the 9.3 for dg with a heavy loaded 286 gr. and the 250 for pg. Kind of a one gun for all like the 375HH.
Loaded to it potential the Whelen will out do the 9.3.
Woodleigh makes a 275 grain PPSP, a 310 grain SP and solid. For the ultimate in penetration try the 225 grain hydrostatic stabilized. This will ream a brontosauras out from end to end. Thus loaded I would have no issues taking DG with it. Surely .008 inches of bore diameter would not be that much different. People rave about the 338 win mag being good but it won't do anything the Whelen will do out to 400 yards.
Loaded with a 225 grain woodleigh PPSP at 2,950 fps with 4,300+FPE of muzzle energy is more than a enough for anything shy of bison in the 50 states of the US and any plains game in Africa.
Just my thoughts.
Cheers mate Bob

My concern would be availability of ammo in Africa or some remote area. I'm not considering one but it is interesting to learn about.

My concern would be availability of ammo in Africa or some remote area. I'm not considering one but it is interesting to learn about.
Newboomer
Everyman and his dog gas heard of the 9.3X62 in Africa. I took my Whelen and nobody had heard of it let alone seen or shot one. I explained it was the American version the 9.3. After seeing the Whelen in action my PH said it was a more emphatic killer than the 9.3
Cheers mate Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg