My Latest Purchase 35 Whelen

Put a ammo sleeve on the stock with 9 or 10 rounds in it and five rounds in the gun, that will add plenty of weight to reduce the felt recoil.

Put a ammo sleeve on the stock with 9 or 10 rounds in it and five rounds in the gun, that will add plenty of weight to reduce the felt recoil.
And Hide that beautiful stock I just finished:)

And Hide that beautiful stock I just finished:)

Well yes, a rifle that feels good always shoots better that a rifle that looks good. If your rifle feels good and looks good great but if recoil is an issue and causes you to shoot poorly the easiest thing to do is add weight to the gun to help tame the recoil.

Well yes, a rifle that feels good always shoots better that a rifle that looks good. If your rifle feels good and looks good great but if recoil is an issue and causes you to shoot poorly the easiest thing to do is add weight to the gun to help tame the recoil.
My Whelen is a bit of a Thumper but suppose I could put a Recoil Reducer in the stock, or take my 404Jeff along, a few down range with that and my Whelen will become a joy to shoot

At that length the bullet must be hanging on to the case mouth by its toenails!:rolleyes::D
It does stick out there a bit but I have no trouble. I like to seat bullets close to rifleing and I seated first round long to just to get an idea where they were tried it it did not hit them so I made 4 more and went to the range fired them and they have been that length since good group good feeding don't fix it if it isn't broken I figured. Probably killed 15-20 deer never had one go more than 5 yards until my son shoot a doe on the run that went about 25-30 yards I couldn't believe it he took out both shoulders and lungs plus made a mess of arteries to the heart she kinda plowed snow the whole way to the end.
I think she was so amped up on adrenaline that she didn't know she was dead.

Well the 35 Whelen is done I think it turned out great, I finished it up with some Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and some Howard Feed and Wax Wood Polish and Conditioner, the first range trip was OK, just getting it on paper at 150 yds second trip will be to tighten it up a little
IMG_1223.JPG
IMG_1232.jpg
IMG_1237.jpg

It is a beautiful job.

I can recommend a great high gloss finish. Having done alot of stocks. I'm a former pro surfer and surfboard builder and shipwright
A shipwright you say? Did that myself for nearly 30 years here in WA. See, we do have something in common, LOL. :D:eek::rolleyes:

It is a beautiful job.
Thanks I just topped it off with some New leupold Glass, loaded up some fresh Rounds, can't wait for some range time tomorrow

Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Just back from the range and accuracy looks promising, but 55s of IMR 4895 only nets 2276Fps with the 250g bullets so this week I,ll loads some rounds with RL15 and Win 748 and give it another go, also I finally contacted Remington and my rifle was just a run of the mill 35Whelen built in September of 1989 so much for a rare one off so I guess I'll stop giving it Celebrity status in my Gun closet:)

You can elevate the status soon as you bag that first trophy with it.

Take a look at the Barnes loading data for 225 Gr TSX using 59 Gr. of 4064. I did and enjoyed the results. My gun isn't as "pretty" as yours but the Laminated stock on mine added some weight and because of some shoulder damage I sustained over 40 years ago I had a muzzle brake installed. The rifle is shown in my avatar, The BWB went about 40 yards and "piled-up."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg