My Latest Purchase 35 Whelen

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Rob404, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Wade, I've taken a 35 Whelen to Africa on both of my Safaris. On the first safari both of my sons took a 35 Whelen as well. The lightest bullet we used was a 225 grainer. Most African PH(s) prefer slower heavier bullets over light weight speedy ones. Midway currently has Buffalo Bore 225 Gr. available for $46.99 a box. Give them a try.

Wade J VanGinkel likes this.

2. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    Never used the 35 Whelen, but either of the bullets you are using should work fine on the larger PG. they are a bit tough for PG such as impala, blesbok, or warthog.
    Depending on what areas you hunt, you also may be over scoped. Examples: Limpopo bushveld you could be shooting from 20 yards to maybe 200, where as Namibia or the Eastern Cape you may be shooting over 400 yards.
    Just my thoughts. Best of luck on your Africa adventure planning!

Dr Ray and Wade J VanGinkel like this.

3. James Cook

James Cook AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, NRA Life, B.A.S.S., Ducks Unlimted
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Mexico, Argentina, Canada, U.S. - LA, TX, OK, AR, AL, SC, GA, KS
    Absolutely will do the trick on plains game. Used 160 gr barnes in 8mm on last trip and no issues with 5 different type plains game. Put the 185 gr Barnes "in the crease" and you'll have no problem.

Wade J VanGinkel and Rob404 like this.

4. Rule 303

Rule 303 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
    Yes I believe 185 grain 358 bullets would be to light for the game mentioned. Wildebeest and Zebra have tough hides and can be tough to put down. The light weight for calibre pills often lack the penetration needed, especially as ranges increase. 225grain 358 bullets would be the lightest I would use and would prefer 250grain bullets to ensure good penetration.

5. YancyW

YancyW GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited
    Did you ever hear back from Montana Rifle? I called a couple times asking about a 35 Whelen in their AVR model, I never got a call back either.

6. Ryan

Ryan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    The 180 grain Barnes should do the trick wonderfully. Looking at the Vor TX ballistics I'd keep shots withing 250 yards for best performance since they generally need speeds above 2000 fps for best performance. I used 168 grain in 30-06 to drop a zebra quartering towards me without a problem. It broke the front shoulder and went diagonally through it retaining all it's weight. As for it being light, not for a TTSX. There's plenty of info about them on this forum showing they work at their best at weights lighter than copper/lead bullets.
    https://www.africahunting.com/threads/making-my-way-to-barnes.36029/

Wade J VanGinkel likes this.

7. shootist~

shootist~ AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico
    Nope - No joy on getting a response from them.
    I bought the Tikka T3X Hunter in 30-06 last week. Liking it a lot so far after a couple of trips to the range. Out with it again in the morning.

8. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    Too bad about not hearing back from MRC. I built a rifle using one of their actions and had no trouble with communication, they were very prompt in answering questions and shipping the action... and that was before the latest Mngt. change that was supposed to be for the better?? Hmmm? The 35 Whelen is a very simple chamber job in a standard length for a cartridge based on the 30-06... so I don't know what possible issue there would be!

9. Bob Nelson 35Whelan

Bob Nelson 35Whelan New Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Africa
    I took my Whelan to Africa loaded with both 225 grain accubonds and woodleigh. Both shot to the Sam point to 200 yards. All game was shot between 75 and 200 yards. Nothing ran more than 25 yards.
    Only 2 bullets recovered 1 accubond after shooting a kudu front on .the bullet was retrieved in the rear ham after shooting thru over 5 foot of kudu.
    The other a woodleigh from a burchells zebra, broke near side shoulder tore plumbing to shreds and broke off side shoulder, bullet just under the skin.
    If anyone wants to try a great load try cfe223. 2900fps in my rifle with both 225grainers.
    Speer list cfe223 for thier 250 grain, I tried this load and they are not far wrong.
    This load really gets your attention. My rifle is a Stevens 200 revealed to the Whelan great rifle unreal accuracy.
    Looking forward to your replies Screenshot_20191021-153539_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191021-152837_Gallery.jpg 20191031_214413.jpg 15755268978976091792419023019460.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2019 at 12:52 AM
    shootist~, Rick Cox and Ridgewalker like this.

10. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    Welcome to AH Bob! When you get a chance, go to Introductions and tell us a bit about yourself such as where you live, what you have hunted, do you reload, favorite guns (I’m assuming the Savage 35 Whelen is one), etc.

11. Rick Cox

Rick Cox SILVER SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
    That is a smoking load!

12. Rick Cox

Rick Cox SILVER SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
    How many grains of powder did you use on that load? On another note is the bullet shown on the left the Woodleigh?

13. Bob Nelson 35Whelan

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Africa

14. Bob Nelson 35Whelan

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Africa
    Can't remember but it is on the Speer reloading site. I chrono my loads and this one have 2,720 on average for five shots. My rifle is a Stevens 200 rebarreled to 35Whelan. Barrel length is 25 inches and throated so I can sear the accubonds to 3.4 inches and still miss the rifling . With the old hornaday 250 round nose I was able to go up a couple more grain due to the shorter bearing surface for just under 2,700fps as usual approach all load with caution.
    The Oryx I shot in Namibia was hit with the hornaday rn @ 75 yards. Thru and thru shot massive damage and he only went ten yards.
    Groups with all loads in my rifle average less than 1moa. My gunsmith Rob Spittles in Rylestone nsw did a great job.
    I will post a photo when I can.
    Cheers mate
    Bob

15. Bob Nelson 35Whelan

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Africa

16. Bob Nelson 35Whelan

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Africa
    Sorry Rick
    Top bullet is the woodleigh from the zebra, bottom is the accubond from my kudu

17. Bob Nelson 35Whelan

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Africa

18. Bob Nelson 35Whelan

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Africa
    Ridge walker
    Tried to post on intro don't know if it worked still figuring out how to do this stuff never done it before.
    Just in case I'm 61 have been shooting for 55years and reloading for about 40. My hunting us dine in Australia and Namibia was my dream hunt with my family when I retired. My son used a 308 Howa loaded with 150 accubonds and 140grain outer edge, both preformed well.
    My main rifles are
    Stevens 200 converted to 35 Whelan
    P14 converted to 25/303 Epps Newton. A real screamer.
    1885 low wall original converted to 22K Hornet full over the top custom with exhibition grade walnut , pistol grip stock,custom mount
    My last one I regret selling was a 444 Marlin built on an SMLE number 4 action, areal thumper
    Attached is a photo of the 444 and one of my son with one of the warthogs he shot with his 308
    20191105_120003.jpg IMG_20190907_163945.jpg

CoElkHunter and Ridgewalker like this.

19. Newboomer

Newboomer GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
    Hunted:
    RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
    I have to disagree with that. I've taken zebra, black and blue wildebeest, waterbuck, and nyala with my 7RM and Barnes 160 g TSX. One shot kills. The farthest any one of them went was about 100 yards. Ranges from 50 to 200 yards. Blue wildebeest was a head on and the others were broadside.

20. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

I believe the 160gr bullet (especially the longer Barnes) is about perfect in the 7mm RM caliber. Good ballistic coefficient and sectional density. A hunting acquaintance uses this bullet weight for elk and deer. But I believe what Rule303 is saying, is that when one goes up in caliber, a heavier bullet is needed to maintain good bullet BC and SD? As an example, I use 225gr bullets in my .338WM. 210gr might be OK, but 185gr bullets in that caliber, don’t have a good BC or SD? They probably would work OK, but I’ll stick with the 225gr with a great BC and SD. Just my 2 centavos?

Rick Cox likes this.