AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
Just picked up my deceased mates Sako AV in 375H&H. He used it as a client rifle in his Aussie Buffalo camp so is a little worse for wear. Just gave it a tidy up and still chasing a mag spring and follower. My Model 70 Alaskan has donated such bits for the moment. Looking forward to taking it back to where it earnt it's living later in the year (y)

IMG_4363.JPG
IMG_4364.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice.

One thing you will want to verify is when an empty case is ejected that it doesn't hit the windage turret on the scope and fall back onto the top of the magazine causing a jam. If this does occur, your particular scope can be rotated 90 degrees to the left as long as the reticle is a plain crosshair. This would give a bit more clearance for ejected shells.

Very nice.

One thing you will want to verify is when an empty case is ejected that it doesn't hit the windage turret on the scope and fall back onto the top of the magazine causing a jam. If this does occur, your particular scope can be rotated 90 degrees to the left as long as the reticle is a plain crosshair. This would give a bit more clearance for ejected shells.
That is an issue that I have only had on a very nice Sako 85 Classic. Very unfortunate.

That is an issue that I have only had on a very nice Sako 85 Classic. Very unfortunate.
I've seen it turn a "very nice Sako" into "for sale Sako" pretty quick.

Glad you already knew about the possible issue. Good luck with the new 375.

Yes but have only ever heard of the 85's giving issues and then not all of them. The AV's have never had this problem.

Mark ,I have an AV in 375 H&H that has never had sush ejection problems. Love the rifle and it would be the last rifle standing if I was to sell off any of them.

Good looking setup love it.

No worries with the AV model Sako. You'll like it.

Mark, that rifle doesn't look "beat up," a few dings and scratches lend character to a working rifle. I'd be more concerned about how it shot. I too purchase firearms that belonged to a deceased friend. It helps me remember them and the good times we had hunting together.

A suggestion I read on here, just in case it applies to you.

If you like a bigger bolt knob, a simple, cheap way to do it, Hornady Bolt Ball.

I read that on here and immediately bought one for my CZ550 in 458 lott, the original came cracked unfortunately, but it did allow me to see that I liked it.

It was replaced for free and the company checked and made sure the new one was perfect, I like having a bigger knob like that so much that I glued this thing on solid.

Not pretty, but functional.

Again, just in case you like a bigger knob, and if you don't glue it on, you can take it on and back off again if you don't like it, they're like $10.

I've seen it turn a "very nice Sako" into "for sale Sako" pretty quick.

Glad you already knew about the possible issue. Good luck with the new 375.
@BeeMaa
Knowing you you probably beat the person down on price because of that fault and you bought it for the missus to try before you got her Blaser.
Bob

@BeeMaa
Someone told me when it comes to money you're as tonight as a fishes arse and that's water tight.
Bob
I suppose cheap is not the right word, but you are right about me talking someone down in price. The rich didn't get rich by giving it away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg