AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD,CA) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
I was planning on a full body mount of my nyala that I shot in Zim. last year but after the phone call I got from my taxidermist this morning I now know that isn't going to happen. The tannery called him to notify him that my nyala cape had been chewed up by bugs, the nose was chewed badly and the rest of the skin was chewed up here and there. They emailed photos at my request and it does look pretty bad. We decided to have them cut the cape for a shoulder mount and tan it and we will try to salvage at least that much. I emailed the taxidermy shop that handled the dip/crate as well as the outfit that I hunted with and haven't heard any thing back yet. To say that I am disappointed would be an understatement.

That sucks………..

That's tough to take. You might have your taxidermist look for a replacement cape for you. Its not the same but still your horns.

that's not a real nice start to the day jd, sorry to hear that mate .
hopefully the pretty end will scrub up ,ok for a shoulder mount

This is when I always wished I saved the entire skins from everything I have taken and not used and kept them in storage at a taxidermist in Africa for people to use when this kind of crap happens.
Just pisses me off that someone did not do their job with an important trophy, never mind being very expensive is ruined.

Yes, that is terrible news!

This is when I always wished I saved the entire skins from everything I have taken and not used and kept them in storage at a taxidermist in Africa for people to use when this kind of crap happens.
Just pisses me off that someone did not do their job with an important trophy, never mind being very expensive is ruined.
The process just seems so simple. You pay the outfitter to cape and salt the cape and deliver it to a taxidermist, the taxidermist treats it. dries it and delivers it to a shipper. How the hell can anything like this happen? That was rhetorical, cause I know it happens way more then it should

The process just seems so simple. You pay the outfitter to cape and salt the cape and deliver it to a taxidermist, the taxidermist treats it. dries it and delivers it to a shipper. How the hell can anything like this happen? That was rhetorical, cause I know it happens way more then it should
Sorry to hear this, pisses me off on your behalf!

It ruins the hunt memories for sure and it deep down makes you have trust issues in the future.

sorry to here . it really sucks when a busines can't do their job correct. Forrest

Here's a few pictures that the tannery sent.
KIMG0109.jpg
KIMG0113 (1).jpg
KIMG0112.jpg

was it really hot when hunted him ,jd?
or did you have to look for him for a while?

was it really hot when hunted him ,jd?
or did you have to look for him for a while?
It was warm not real hot, he was a target of opportunity I just couldn't pass up.

What you have will not even make a good shoulder mount.

I would look for a cape or do a European mount.

What you have will not even make a good shoulder mount.
We'll know more once we get it back. The nose can be repaired, the skin colored and we might be able to fold some of the bare spots on the shoulder depending which way we turn him.

jduckhunter, that really is sad. I lost a whole batch of trophies in Zim, outfitter blamed shipping agent, shipping agent blamed outfitter......I even took a 17.7/8 bushbuck, got a lovely 14 inch back.

I know that at one stage they were battling to get chemicals in Zim.

Sorry for your plight.This happens all the time most of you will never know it. We fix noses like that everyday. Believe it or not that cape for the shoulder mount is bad but not that bad, The Lifesize could be done but it would have some issues..The shoulder mount would look very good when done by someone that can fix this. Example Here is a bug eaten and slipped kudu mounted, yes it's the same skin, then just airbrushed professionally FIXED back to a nice mount.

This is it before....

ann_before_1a-jpg.9101

ann_before_5-jpg.9104

ann_before_3-jpg.9103

ann_before_2-jpg.9102

WE DO THIS TYPE OF STUFF EVERYDAY....so save a Ph's behind and not disappoint a client and their expectations...

AFTER we do our MAGIC !!!!!

GO SEE IT !!!!

HERE ! ...........

A teaser more pics on this link..

Ann_After_2a_zps0a873ab9.jpg

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/taxidermy-62-inch-kudu-mount.6793/

I have extra Nyala lifesize skins also for my clients, and carry most everything african for really bad screw ups.The worst thing you can have happen to your trophies....sit longer that 3 -4 months in africa....Bug are EVERYWHERE. after the season when PH take care of capes and skins bugs have started to eat your skins IN THE SALT or crates. SALT DON'T STOP BUGS, DIP AND PACK DON'T STOP BUGS EITHER.....It's done for controlling deceases that pass from African game to Native game and animals here. IT"S NOT A BUG PROOFER . That's an old wives tale...Your salted capes in your garage in the U S the SAME THING CAN HAPPEN, bugs are everywhere !!!! Your MOUNTS in the Garage the bugs will eat them even after they are tanned !! Mother nature will and can take everything back if you let her. Clean, places like inside your home are about the safest places for salted skins and mounted trophies.

Attachments

• Ann_After_2a_zps0a873ab9.jpg
    Ann_After_2a_zps0a873ab9.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Ann_Before_5.jpg
    Ann_Before_5.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Ann_Before_3.jpg
    Ann_Before_3.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Ann_Before_1a.jpg
    Ann_Before_1a.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Ann_Before_2.jpg
    Ann_Before_2.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited by a moderator:
that is really not cool , i think that The Artistry has a great point there...

Shot Shot

Thanks Dennis, I know that the mount could be salvaged, but I worked for the taxidermist too long and would know and see the repairs every time I looked at it. At this point I think I will just cut my losses and go with the shoulder mount, I don't feel like putting in the time, money and effort on a patched up full body mount.
I did hear from the outfitter this morning. He has no idea where the bug damage might have occurred since the cape only laid in his salt shed for four months before being shipped to the taxidermist. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,