AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Steve Hornady basically told Andrew Cuomo and the State of NY that they are no longer a customer of his ammunition.

My hats off to anybody that is willing to loose money over a principle they believe in.
https://www.tactical-life.com/news/hornady-new-york-agencies-ammo/

MAY 2, 2018
Hornady Will No Longer Sell Ammo to New York Agencies

HORNADY IS CLOSING THE DOOR ON SELLING AMMUNITION TO NEW YORK GOVERNMENT AGENCIES AFTER THE STATE IS ORDERING BANKS AND INSURERS TO 'REVIEW' ITS RELATIONSHIP WITH THE NRA AND GUN AND AMMO MAKERS.

By
TACTICAL-LIF

Photo by Wikimedia Commons
Hornady Will No Longer Sell Ammo to New York Agencies
Hornady-New-York-1-150x150.1525207159.jpg

Hornady-New-York-2-150x150.1525207161.jpg

Hornady has announced it will no longer sell its ammunition to New York government agencies, citing the state’s heavy-handed, anti-gun tactics as the reason for the shift in company policy.

Cuomo’s Order
In an April press release, Gov. Andrew Cuomo ordered the state Department of Financial Services (DFS) to “urge” New York-based banks, insurers and other financial institutions to “review” their relationships with the NRA and “other similar organizations.” Said banks and insurers would then be “encouraged” to think about whether or not “such ties harm their corporate reputations and jeopardize public safety.”

“New York may have the strongest gun laws in the country, but we must push further to ensure that gun safety is a top priority for every individual, company, and organization that does business across the state,” Governor Cuomo said.“I am directing the Department of Financial Services to urge insurers and bankers statewide to determine whether any relationship they may have with the NRA or similar organizations sends the wrong message to their clients and their communities who often look to them for guidance and support. This is not just a matter of reputation, it is a matter of public safety, and working together, we can put an end to gun violence in New York once and for all.”

Post-Parkland
The presser also noted that many businesses have ended relationships with the NRA in the wake of Parkland. These include MetLife, a DFS-regulated insurer that shut down a discount program it offered to NRA members. In addition, Chubb stopped underwriting the NRA Carry Guard insurance program.

“Corporations are demonstrating that business can lead the way and bring about the kind of positive social change needed to minimize the chance that we will witness more of these senseless tragedies. DFS urges all insurance companies and banks doing business in New York to join the companies that have already discontinued their arrangements with the NRA, and to take prompt actions to manage these risks and promote public health and safety,” DFS Superintendent Maria T. Vullo said

Comptroller
Meanwhile, the New York Post reports that State Comptroller Thomas J. DiNapoli recently sent letters to nine different financial institutions, encouraging them to devise “a system that could reject the purchases” of guns, ammunition and accessories. The letters went out to MasterCard, JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Discover, American Express, First Data, and Worldpay.

Furthermore, DiNapoli is the head of the New York state pension, which has an estimated $209.1 billion in assets. It also happens to have a stake in all nine of the aforementioned companies.

“I am writing to express my concern that Mastercard may suffer reputational harm because it allows its banking services to be used in firearms transactions,” DiNapoli reportedly wrote.

Hornady Strikes Back
Viewing all this as an assault on its business and livelihood, Hornady confirmed via Facebook that its ammo will no longer be available to New York agencies.

“The State of New York did one of the most despicable acts ever perpetrated by any state by asking New York banks, financial institutions and insurance companies to stop doing business with the gun and ammo industry. While it may not make a difference to New York, Hornady will not knowingly allow our ammunition to be sold to the Government of the State of NY or any NY State agencies,” said Steve Hornady, President of Hornady Manufacturing.

Hornady deemed the state’s actions as “a blatant and disgusting abuse of office.” The company also said it “won’t be associated with a government that acts like that. They should be ashamed.”

Hornady will do just fine without New York’s business; the FBI recently awarded the Nebraska-based outfit a contract for its 9mm+P Luger 135 gr. FlexLock Critical Duty ammunition. In addition, its ammunition remains popular with government agencies and civilian shooters nationwide.

Attachments

• Hornady-New-York-1-150x150.1525207159.jpg
    Hornady-New-York-1-150x150.1525207159.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 431
  • Hornady-New-York-2-150x150.1525207161.jpg
    Hornady-New-York-2-150x150.1525207161.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 433
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 8.36.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 8.36.13 AM.png
    754.5 KB · Views: 481
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 8.36.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 8.36.15 AM.png
    550.9 KB · Views: 479
Last edited by a moderator:
My hat as well Wheels!

And so it continues...

As I've mentioned elsewhere, in my opinion the NRA's hard-line stance will backfire (and when it does it will get super nasty, super quick). Public sentiment has shifted (those who may have been ambivalent beforehand no longer are) and a simple change of administration and congress (likely to occur) will bring sweeping changes to regulations. It's only a matter of time.

Good for Hornady, if all the firearm and ammunition manufactures refused to sell to the state of New York I'm sure the New York state government would rethink their position.

@CTDolan, I've read your other posts expressing your opinion on the NRA and I don't understand them. I've been a Life Member of the NRA for 37 years and I have not noticed a change in their stance on defending the 2nd Amendment, you call it hard line, I call it correct. Would you expect the ACLU to say "Its only a small civil right violation, we don't need to do anything about it" both groups exist to protect our individual rights granted to us under the Constitution of the United States. The next time you post your thoughts on the NRA and their "Hard Line Stance" please include some of your thoughts and ideas on what they could do better, without giving up my individual right to own firearms as confirmed by the Supreme Court. Thanks for your posts and the willingness to express your opinion.

Well, to clarify, when something such as the shooting at Sandy Hook takes place and the only response the NRA has is to promote teachers carrying firearms I'd day that is pretty rigid on their part, especially considering that a vast portion of the general population not only disagrees but also considers it twisted/insane. That's but one example.

I'm not saying that tighter regulations is the answer (personally, I think it's too late...so much is already in circulation and easily accessible via various means), but the NRA has been extremely unaccommodating to growing pressure from the electorate at large. And again, don't kill the messenger. I'm merely stating what I see coming, that's all. It used to be considered political suicide to go against the NRA. That tide is turning to the point where it has become political suicide for some to align themselves with the organization (and yeah, people on the right and left are entrenched...it's those teetering in the middle which will throw the balance).

I guess the concern I have is that the NRA having been too rigid will result in a situation worse than were they willing to listen to the other side.

Good for Hornady. Hopefully they are just the first of many.
Regarding the NRA and Hornady both, they have adopted clear positions and communicated them without ambiguity. Sometimes clarity of the message is almost as important as the message itself. In my opinion, the worst thing would be ambiguity and waffling, which a conciliatory tone from NRA would be perceived as by most of the membership. A good way to lose credibility with everyone regardless of how far one way or another your position may be.
Armed teachers, armed pilots, armed populace in general... my money is on that answer as being most effective as both a deterrent and minimizing loss of life in the event of an active shooter situation.
As for public perception, I’m pretty sure all we’re going to hear from the mass media is how insane the populace thinks the NRA is and gun owners in general. That may be true in LA, Chicago, Detroit and New York, but I’m not sure any message or tone from the NRA is going to change that in the least. As for folks in the middle, the ones with common sense will make an informed decision.
One thing I find particulary intersting is the number of women purchasing hand guns. That has been an upward trend for a number of years now. This is very significant I believe. The hearts and minds of mom’s is key in many ways.
I may disagree with you, but I respect your opinion @CTDolan , and appreciate the manner in which you express it.

Your average person is nowhere nearly as well trained as they need to be to effectively use a firearm in a hostile situation. Most like to think they are, but they’re not. This has been proven time and time again. The same will go for teachers. While they’d be subject to more than a paltry concealed carry class it’ll be far, far below what is necessary and I can readily envision a situation wherein a teacher mistakenly shoots an innocent child. Can you imagine the fallout...the teacher who is crushed by their mistake, the family of the child crushed by their loss, and the child, robbed of the gift of living a full life. This is not the solution.

Thank you for your respectful response. It is only by virtue of such dialogue that genuine progress is made (in other words, best for all).

Right on Hornandy. These liberal bastards have balls thinking they can blackmail cooperations into forcing them to think there way. Hopefully I have one more year in the rotten apple.

Glad to see some companies taking a stand

Your average person is nowhere nearly as well trained as they need to be to effectively use a firearm in a hostile situation. Most like to think they are, but they’re not. This has been proven time and time again. The same will go for teachers. While they’d be subject to more than a paltry concealed carry class it’ll be far, far below what is necessary and I can readily envision a situation wherein a teacher mistakenly shoots an innocent child. Can you imagine the fallout...the teacher who is crushed by their mistake, the family of the child crushed by their loss, and the child, robbed of the gift of living a full life. This is not the solution.

Thank you for your respectful response. It is only by virtue of such dialogue that genuine progress is made (in other words, best for all).

In a shooting situation in my school, we are taught as teachers to escape with the kids, hide, and if necessary fight. My classroom is 50yds from any door in my school. We are going to shelter in place. My class will move to the wall of the room that is not visible to the door. If the shooter is able to gain entrance to the room I am crouched next to the door I will drive the gun and the arm into the door jam. At this point the students are instructed to pick up the whitetail deer antlers that are stored along the wall and come take out the rest of the bad guy. If the students don't come I will do my best to separate the bad guys arms from his shoulders.

In Ft. Davis Independent School District in Ft. Davis, Texas they have a different plan.
IMG_1885.jpg

Your attitude and outlook on life is very reminiscent of most of the British government in June of 1940. Where they were trying to find a way to surrender. I am glad that there was a small group of people that took a hard line.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the rest of ya'll that don't want to roll over and quit go to the following website contact Scot McClure and get this course installed in your schools. In the last three years over 10% of my school population each year has taken this course which includes a week long unit on the 2nd Amendment.

https://www.dallasecologicalfoundation.org

I was never a fan of Hornady Ammo, but I like this action. It would be great of the other manufacturers cut them off too. On another note, I just received today my canvas tote for upgrading my NRA Life membership to Endowment-Life. And the tote is nice and something I can actually use. I guess while I am still employed, I will give a little more money to Gun Owners of America too.

I will be making it a point to purchase Hornady products more often.
Probably mostly reloading equipment and components.

I guess the concern I have is that the NRA having been too rigid will result in a situation worse than were they willing to listen to the other side.
In 1986, the firearms protection act prohibited new machine guns. In return, the NRA got the right for a person to travel from say N.C. to Maine for a moose hunt with there rifle as long as the rifle was unloaded in a locked container.
In response, the state of NY changed the legal definition of a loaded weapon.

In a shooting situation in my school, we are taught as teachers to escape with the kids, hide, and if necessary fight. My classroom is 50yds from any door in my school. We are going to shelter in place. My class will move to the wall of the room that is not visible to the door. If the shooter is able to gain entrance to the room I am crouched next to the door I will drive the gun and the arm into the door jam. At this point the students are instructed to pick up the whitetail deer antlers that are stored along the wall and come take out the rest of the bad guy. If the students don't come I will do my best to separate the bad guys arms from his shoulders.

In Ft. Davis Independent School District in Ft. Davis, Texas they have a different plan.
View attachment 227499

Your attitude and outlook on life is very reminiscent of most of the British government in June of 1940. Where they were trying to find a way to surrender. I am glad that there was a small group of people that took a hard line.

Research the history of school shootings in the UK. And, while at it, look into Australia’s history, also. 1996 was a particularly bad year in this regard for each, and they did something about it, and it hasn’t happened since.

Yup, UK has it figured out for sure. And they are making it illegal to order a knife online to be shipped to a home address and the possession of acid in a public place.

By the way, for me it is more than hypothetical. This is the middle school my children went to and they were in the building at the time:

http://www.startribune.com/school-shooting-hoax-means-tense-morning-for-new-prague/199150471/

I stayed home to do some work around the house. I got a call regarding an active shooter in the middle school. I immediately dropped everything and went to the scene. Law enforcement was everywhere, absolutely everyone, including a helicopter overhead. It was deadly serious and quite frightening. I cannot imagine the horror and dread that attends a real shooting. So please, those who have (not sure anyone here has but I’ve seen plenty in discussions regarding recent moves against the NRA), stop mocking the kids from Parkland who are actively trying to do something. I can almost guarantee that if a child of yours was in such a situation, especially were they maimed or killed, the rhetoric would change.

I’ve been into hunting and shooting and firearms all of my life (hell, I’ll share my phone’s background after I’m done typing this). I’ve even shot competitively, pistol, rifle and shotgun. My basement is like a mini Cabela’s. I enjoy the sport, immensely. But, I also happen to live in a society and I care about the lives and welfare of others and, if we need to make changes so as to curb an epidemic, then we should. My opinion.

Yup, UK has it figured out for sure. And they are making it illegal to order a knife online to be shipped to a home address and the possession of acid in a public place.

And yet I know so many in the UK who spend their weekends shooting, often busting clays with a splendid double. Funny how that works...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg