My first rifle build

Erich

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi, I'm looking for some advice for my first rifle build. I have a Mauser 98 action that I have bought a bolt and Timmney trigger for. I picked up an original piece of bottom metal for it as well. I like the locking screws and the sling mount point at the trigger guard so I want to keep those. I have decided 98% to go with .416 ruger but have tossed around a .416 Taylor as well. I'm trying to do as much of the work myself as I can. I don't have a lathe so I will have someone else fit the barrel for me. I know I need to lengthen the mag box a little but I'm wondering about width and what follower to use. I'm also wondering if anyone can tell me where to get dummy rounds or snap caps to check the feeding with. I'm also looking at the EAW side mount for a scope mount, I'm fine with being strictly iron sights if that's not recommended but I don't want to drill through the stamping on the reciever ring. I'm open to any and all advice.

Thanks

I myself have built two different rifles using Mauser 98 actions, a 6mmAI and a 6.5-284. The one thing I was advised was to watch what pressure your cartridge choice might develop. These are older actions and some simply can't handle the higher pressures of some modern cartridges.

Instead if you build it in .404 Jeffery, after you decide to sell it 10 or 15 years later, it will be much easier to find a buyer and for a significantly higher price as well.
However, if you only want either of the two calibers you posted, I'd say the Ruger at least will give you (or any future buyer) the option of using factory live ammunition.
The Ruger caliber ammunition is not extremely common but the Taylor cartridge is very difficult to find ammunition for.
For that matter, the Jeffery cartridge live ammunition is not especially common but, it makes up for this in it's great appeal to serious rifle enthusiasts, who can help you find ammunition and / or reloading supplies.
As good as the .416 Taylor is, not many people are interested in it at all these days.

Last edited:
I wish you the best of luck. I wish I had the knowledge to take on the building of a rifle! But that's never going to happen! I'll be interested though in keeping up with your progress!

Instead if you build it in .404 Jeffery, after you decide to sell it 10 or 15 years later, it will be much easier to find a buyer and for a significantly higher price as well.
I agree with that completely. I believe that currently the .404 J is the most in demand rifle in this general size of caliber. To buy a true Jeffery Rifle new, they run around $36-38,000. I have seen a few older ones for $10-15000, but not many. I am having one imported from South Africa just now at a price I can afford. It is new with a M98 action. It may be 2-3 months before it arrives and maybe 2-3 months later before I see it. I have wanted a .404 J for nearly a year now, and I am finally within a few months of it happening. If everything works out, this will probably be the rifle I bring up to your place in the future for that rockfish fry!!!

Hallo Eric
Always excellent to see more people want to engage in a rifle build..it will be to your advantage if you have access to a gunsmith for the finer points of the build. I did build my first rifle about three years ago or four ....I was fortunate to have access /assistance of a great gunsmith, Johan Greyling...it is a long process, especially if you do not do it full time but part time..but along this route you gain great experience and knowledge ...

It's very personal thing when you buld your own rifle.
Here is what works for me in my very simple builds.

Boyds or equivalent laminated stock, semi inleted, you may wish to bed your stock, l have not found it nessary yet. Laminate stocks are super stable and durable and pleasing to my eye, and float the barrel. I also like an oil finish, an oil finish can all most be self healing....

I also like a one peace picatinny rail base permanently attached to the receiver, it's one less thing to worry about, not for everyone.

Mauser bolts become smooth as silk, if you work them for long enough.

Work up a load that is sub MOA.

So that's my simple budget minded build.

YMMV

edit, aftermarket trigger assembly or trip to a good gunsmith if required.

Last edited:
Make sure to give lots of room around the trigger safety mechanism.
Very important.

Sounds like an exciting project. The 416 Ruger makes a great game round for anything you want to hunt! Good luck on this and keep us posted!

Thanks for the info everyone. I really appreciate the info and advice. The reason I am looking at the .416 ruger are that it will function without doing too much modification to accommodate length. I want to modify the reciever as little as possible. I know I will need to work the feed rails but other then that I'd like to minimize the alterations. I want to do as much of the work myself but I don't have a lathe so I am looking at having New England custom gun fit the barrel for me. I'm leaning towards an intermediate length of 22in. As a basic entry level gunsmith I'm building this both for myself and as a learning experience. I was looking at a stock from accurate innovations if any of you guys have any experience with them.

Make sure the locking lugs aren't set back before you do a single thing.

Ruger seems to reinvent and improve the wheel with the 375 ruger and 416 ruger.

I guess, good things come in smaller (shorter) packages.

Ruger seems to reinvent and improve the wheel with the 375 ruger and 416 ruger.

I guess, good things come in smaller packages.
I like it because it'll fit a standard length action, a true .375 H&H or .416 Rigby would require me to modify the action more then I want to. I'm big into history and can't bring myself to do too much to an action that was made in 1917.

Erich, Where are you located?

I have started (acquired donor actions) 3X and have yet to complete the build! I have a 416 Taylor reamer if you need it.

I love the 416 Taylor but would probably go with the Ruger if and when I ever get this project started.

Erich, Where are you located?

I have started (acquired donor actions) 3X and have yet to complete the build! I have a 416 Taylor reamer if you need it.

I love the 416 Taylor but would probably go with the Ruger if and when I ever get this project started.
I live in southern New Hampshire. I also have one other action besides the one I'm currently building also.

So you guys just gave Trump a huge advantage!

I'm well south of you: Savannah, GA.

I have a SAKO 300 Win Mag that'd been abused, got it all cleaned up etc, and she SHOOTS!! 4 touching at 100, one I pulled.
Trying to convince myself to have the barrel reamed to a 416 and chamber cut, just don't know that I NEED a 416, wondering what I could do with that that my 375 won't do, and how much,,,,$$$ from the build could be better utilized towards trophy fees and taxidermy bills!

As stated, I have a 416 reamer when you're ready to cut the chamber.

I personally can't stand career politicians and have vowed to not vote for anyone who has previously held elected office, I also will not vote for anyone for any office who has rediculus financial backers.

That aside I got this Mauser reciever for free from a fellow enthusiast who had it on a shelf in his garage. He gave me the stripped reciever that I cleaned up then bought the bolt, Timmney trigger, bolt release and bottom metal for. I'm almost done lapping the bolt to the reciever and cleaning up where the bolt handle was welded on. Next hardness testing and inspection, then the barrel.

I have a nice Winchester 70 in .338 win mag and I think the .416 will make for a nice pair of rifles when my lucky day arrives and I get to go on a hunt.

Thanks on the reamer, I'll let you know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg