My first double rifle

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
I have always cherished owning a double rifle. I don't really need one I just want one. There is something about the nostalgia of a double rifle. It goes back to the turn of the century when large parts of Africa were virtually unseen by the white man, when pith helmets and 8 week full bag safaris were the norm. Alright, enough of the reminiscing. What are your thoughts on a Heym 89B chambered in the classic .450/400 Nitro Express as an introduction to the fascinating World of double rifle ownership?

Need/Want... it’s such a blurry line...

In all seriousness, you need to talk to Kevin Peacocke.

im with ya. i had a caliber for everything that walks and crawls but still wanted a double. finally got to th point where i could make it happen and got my FIRST one in 9.3x74r., but that didnt scratch my itch and found myself with another. a 450 nitro express. i never in my life thought i would have more than one. be careful. its an wonderfully addictive hobby. as far as a 450/400 goes, great gun!

Any pictures? Sounds like you have plans for it!!

Careful, you come onto AH with a “want” and leave with a definite “need”.

Doubles are awesome and can be used for far more hunting than folks in the USA give them credit for.

Heyman makes a fine rifle. And the 450/400 is a awesome buffalo round. It would be a very nice double to hunt anything that currently walks the planet.

I had experienced the same desire for the last 20 years, and I agree with the above statement about usability. I finally bought the british double of my dreams in 470 NE, started hand loading for it, shooting it, and love it. When a double fits you right, and is loaded right and practiced with, there is no doubt they are far more useful that people realize. My next safari is 2022 buffalo, open sights only, I can't wait. Buy yourself that fine 450-400, hand load for it, shoot it, take it on a hunt. No regrets, make your memories. Heym would be the only current "factory" gun I would buy.

As the owner of an 89B in 450NE I could not be more pleased with the rifle. I chose the 450NE for the variety of .458 bullets available for reloading. However, especially with modern bullets; the 450-400 is a great choice.

You cant go wrong with either rifle or cartridge.

Hi Quaticman, I looked at quite a few doubles and finally got to handle the Heym 89B in 450/400 a week ago. This was in the medium weight Africa frame at 4.5kg and their standard dimensions. Well, it fitted perfectly, pointed well and I just couldn't stop grinning, so I ordered one right there and then. I have opted for the plain coin finish, no engraving at all - it isn't the lower cost, I just love the look. The main reason I went for Heym above the others is the Greener bolt third point lockup, about as strong and trouble-free a double action as you can get.

I'll tell you what - I went to pick up a Heym Express in 404 in Dallas just a few weeks ago and had a chance to try the 89B in 470NE at the private range. Very unfortunate mistake on my part.

Next thing I know I have a deposit in on an 89B in 470NE and I'm thinking to myself "what have I done". Beautiful double rifle and like you, it'll be my first. I'm sure the 450/400 is going to be a dream to shoot. If you're on the fence, I say GO FOR IT. Life is short and with the way things are trending for labor/material costs these things are probably not going to get any cheaper.

Not sure who the closest Heym dealer is for you but Chris Sells down here in TX is great to work with and you will get a chance to learn a lot. Please keep us posted on your decision.

Watch the Heym field notes series, they are really educational on doubles. I particularly like Phil Masaro's clips on his Mozambique buffalo hunts with the 89b 450/400.

e
Careful, you come onto AH with a “want” and leave with a definite “need”.

Doubles are awesome and can be used for far more hunting than folks in the USA give them credit for.
exactly right. i hunt pigs and black bear in georgia and also whitetail. my go-to for this will be my 9.3 double. i also hint in alaska had have taken a griz. will go again and bring one of my doubles. i have hunted PG at Kowas in namibia and would not hesitate to use my 9.3 next trip for PG. I will also take the 450 NE for buffalo in the next couple years hopefully.

e

exactly right. i hunt pigs and black bear in georgia and also whitetail. my go-to for this will be my 9.3 double. i also hint in alaska had have taken a griz. will go again and bring one of my doubles. i have hunted PG at Kowas in namibia and would not hesitate to use my 9.3 next trip for PG. I will also take the 450 NE for buffalo in the next couple years hopefully.

I’ve got a set of 9.3x74R barrels for my double. Great hunting calibre!

I have always cherished owning a double rifle. I don't really need one I just want one. There is something about the nostalgia of a double rifle. It goes back to the turn of the century when large parts of Africa were virtually unseen by the white man, when pith helmets and 8 week full bag safaris were the norm. Alright, enough of the reminiscing. What are your thoughts on a Heym 89B chambered in the classic .450/400 Nitro Express as an introduction to the fascinating World of double rifle ownership?
I’ll let you know soon. That’s exactly what I have coming and it should be here any time now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross