My first bow hunt

Blink Stefaans

Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
G'day
Went to Crecy in Limpopo province for my first bow hunt yesterday. I was looking for a young waterbuck bul which I got a very decent price on.
Got up at very exited at 4:30am took a shower with my no scent soap, my camos were sprayed the night before with no scent and left in a zip lock bag. Got to the farm at about 6am. The farmer lef me two 50kg bags of millet which I dumped in the feeding troughs and some in heaps at different yardages. I stripped down in the nut wrenching cold and slipped into my camos, nocked an arrow with the Nap Nitron fixed blade broadhead, and the wait began.

I sat for aprox 5 minutes when the first animals came in, a bunch of Njalas. They were standing 10 yards from me eating to hearts content withou a clue. The a pair of grey duiker came in. It looked like a prommising day. They Njalas were there the whole day and I thought it would put the rest of the animals at ease and bring them in. At lunchtime the Njalas suddenly scattered and a minute later a farm worker walked right in front of the hide. I was like WTF!!! I got up and politely told him to F-off. Now I was pissed.

A couple of minutes later the Njalas were back. Next moment a Kudu and a couple days old calf came in. They were there for about 20 minutes and moved off. The two duikers also came back.
By 5pm the sun was down and I thought it to risky to take a shot on any animal as I dont have enough light to have to track it, so I packed up. Saw only the Njalas, Duikers and the Kudu. I cant belive that I didnt see a pig.

Went to the farmhouse for a cofee and while im on the back porch the waterbuck came in and fed 30 yards from us on the millet that the farmer puts right next to his lawn. I was watering at the mouth but i knew that I had my time in the bush and there wont be any shooting from his back door.
I thanked uncle Hendrik and made my way back to Pretoria

I know I didnt have the opportunity to loose an arrow but I did learn a lot in that hide
Guess thats why they call it hunting and not shooting
Will be going back in August to test my luck again

blinds are great for watching game , for a little while . not sure l could sit in one all day ,but.
great that your on the way with , the bow hunting ....
looking foreward to reading of your first animal harvested with the stick flinga ........

Hi,

I have a good bow hunting property closer to PTA if you are interested.

Send me a PM.

Lekker dag

Congrats on getting out there and giving it a go.
August is coming soon enough.

I know the frustration of those farm worker interventions.

Look forward to the tale from August.

Sounds like a great first hunt. the opportunity will come, with a bow remember the 3 P's practice patience persistence. and add 1. PICK A SPOT on the animal to shoot. Forrest

Great adventures await you .....keep at it !
Glen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg