AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Thanks for sharing Pieter! Having fired your 500 NE I can say the recoil was all I wanted to deal with!
As one might imagine my favorites are the 300 win mag and the 416 Ruger. These two have done the job for me.
However, you and I may hunt Cape buffalo one day with the 458 Lott Bryson walked around with last year.

Lee M

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA, Canada
I've never pulled the trigger on anything bigger then a .300 win Mag. I have a .338 win mag but never had a reason to use it yet. Bought it used from a friends family upon his passing. I may have to try out one of Pieters big boys this year during my hunt. Maybe take a warthog with a double ! Go big or go home :)

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
That is a great combo, like hearing what people who make their living as a PH use. The 7x57, (9.3x62 or 375HH), and a 404 will take care of everything you need. But being lucky enough to collect since I was young have a few others. I like my 404 Jeff more than the 416 rigby. Velo Dog please remember that your 500 is good for all things from cotton tail bunny’s to Elephants:cool: Have shot a 500NE a good bit but never had the chance to shoot a 500Jeff or 505 Gibbs. (I know a gap in my education). Now if we just get them to start cloneing wolly mammoths and saber tooth cats:rolleyes: Thank you for starting this post, be safe and have a great 2016 safari season!

bassasdaindia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
this thread reminds me that I don't use my 404 Jeff enough .......... I need to change that !

:(

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA

vette447

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
USA (AK,CO,NM,WY,TX,KS,OK), Namibia, South Africa, Argentina, France
Nice thread. My current three favorites for Africa are
275 Rigby (7x57)
416 Rigby
500 NE

However, I am a sucker for Rigbys and my three in these calipers happen to be three of my favorite rifles right now. Of course, a 375 H&H always has a place on a list like this too and I would very much like to try out the 404 Jeff.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
While I will probably never get to Africa now, a 7x57 and 4o4 Jeffery would have taken care of things when I had them a few years ago. Fortunately I still have the 7x57 and the 404 is in the hands of someone who will undoubtedly take it into its natural habbitat one day in the not to distant future. The 318WR and the 9.3x62 have been two others that have always had a niggling presence in the back of my mind as well, with constant poking at me to build one or both of them. Next on the adgenda though is a 6.5x57.

Pondoro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Namibia and Botswana
My take is:

* 6,5x54MS, very good for lesser game, penetrates like crazy, for the pot
*.375H&H, for all the reasons mentioned above
*.458Win.Mag, its cheap and kills ele no matter what the naysayers think
*.475 NE, a 2150fps/5000 foot-pound round, because I happen to own one
*.600 NE, because it is the ultimate stopping rifle on elephant.Period.

If doubles are omitted I would opt for a .500 Jeffery built on a ZKK 602 action, poor mans stopping rifle but indeed well proven..

siutis

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, African hunting gold supporter
Hunted
United States
Awesome selection and evidently well thought out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnriqueD89

Latest profile posts

raamw wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Can you advise me to properly post pix, sometimes I get it right sometimes not
Tokoloshe Safaris wrote on Milan's profile.
I do not know where this video was posted, but I would very much like to see it.
Al Burke wrote on Milan's profile.
Hello Milan, I just watched your video on disassembling/reassembling the CZ 550. I have spent days looking for something like this. I now have no reservations taking apart my rifle. I like to do this with all my guns so I understand them "inside and out". Thank you very much for the information. It is greatly appreciated.
Al
Fred Gunner wrote on Viral_SIGness's profile.
60 375 Ruger Brass
$75+$8.30 Priority Mail Shipping
Postal Money Order Or Certified Tellers Check.

for final confirmation
Fred Gunner wrote on Viral_SIGness's profile.
60 375 Ruger Brass
$75+$8.30 Priority Mail Shipping
Postal Money Order Or Certified Tellers Check.

for final confirmation