Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
MyGearPic.gif

I thought I would pass along my thoughts on my favorite gear from my four safaris in the last two years. I am not going to discuss what didn't work or what I don't personally like but just hit the high points and hope that it will benefit some folks as they head out on their adventures.

1. Pelican Gun Case & Pelican 1170 ammo case: Many of you know that I love all things Pelican so this is where I'll logically start. The Pelican 2 Gun case has worked well for me for something like 8 international trips. I pack all my hunting stuff in there plus a few gift items to reduce the weight of my suitcase and usually just one gun. The small 1170 ammo box I really like because it will snugly hold four boxes of big bore ammo with just the top foam. I've had good luck with the Masterlock TSA lock with the cable pictured here. The other standard TSA locks always get broken but not these.

2. Bose QC Noise Cancelling Headphones: If you fly internationally these are a must. These top quality headphones actually make travel less tiring because it removes the "air noise" from the plane. I won't travel without them. Now I do have Bose noise cancelling earbuds now and I am apt to use those on domestic flights.

3. Chargers and Adaptors: Spending lots of time by myself in airports around the world I like to shop (although I rarely buy anything) the electronics stores and yes luggage stores etc just to see what they have. Sometimes it pays off like this SkyRoss universal adapter with 2 USB ports I found a while back in JNB. In a few places you still need the big ugly "Africa" plug so have one of those as well. I have the Goal Zero solar panel and battery for charging all my devices and it has come in handy in the many places I've been with no electricity.

4. Swarovski CL 10x30 Binos with Rick Young Bino Harness: These handy little binos have served me very well with their great glass and light weight. I would not use another bino harness except Rick Young Outdoors because it is so versatile and light weight. They are so inexpensive everyone should try one out! He always has a booth at DSC.

5. Iridium Extreme: Having a satellite phone is not always warranted but I must admit it makes you feel like James Bond! Seriously both in Zimbabwe and Kyrgyzstan this satellite phone was a lifesaver (nearly literally!). Being able to place a call anywhere is really amazing technology. They can be rented as well as purchased so anyone can feel like 007!

6. Kuiu Belt Pouch: Being a minimalist I am always looking for a better way to carry just a few things without weighing myself down. My hunting pants have lots of pockets but too much stuff weighs me down and I don't like having my pants loaded with too much gear. This little Kuiu belt pouch was on sale and has really fit the bill for me.

7. Surefire or Streamlight Flashlight: What ever brand you like always have a powerful light or two while on Safari. NO ONE in African has a good flashlight! Your PH will not have a good flashlight in my experience and plus they can't easily get the batteries for these anyway.

8. Murray Leather 6 Round Carrier: I have two of these and on DG hunts I have softs on my right and solids on my left. These are easy to use and I've never lost a shell accidentally out of them. I can not say enough about Murray Leather and invite you to meet them at the shows.

9. Leatherman: I have the Wingman but any multitool that you like is invaluable on safari. You never know when you will need more than just a pocket knife. Tools are hard to come by in Africa and my leatherman has done lots of work there. I even keep a Micra Leatherman in with my toiletries because it has a great set of tweezers for getting out African thorns!

10. Princeton Tec BYTE Headlamp: This is absolutely one of my favorite things on safari. This little headlamp is extremely lightweight and has red, low beam white, and high beam white light settings that work extremely well for me. It uses 2 AAA batteries and if you use Energizer Lithium you will not have to change them for a hunt or two. The red setting is great to tend to natures call at night and also in a blind if you need to see something but do not want to risk turning a light on. I am not sure where I got mine but REI has them for sale. Again I have shopped what is available in most stores and I've not found a better one. If I do ill let you know!

11. FoxPro Fire Eye Spotlight: This revolutionary spotlight is unlike any other. It has white, red, green, and amber light settings. You can adjust the beam down to a small rectangle and thus not shine light on anything unintended. It is more expensive than any light I know of however.

12. FLIR Scout III: Thermal is a great tool when hunting at night. This FLIR is one of the best in its price range and I have enjoyed using it. It is small and holds a charge for a long time. The legality of using this in some countries is questionable so always find out where it can be used.

Some of you experienced guys may want to chime in on some of this gear or mention something that you particularly like and has worked well for you. These are just a few of my go to items.

Regards,
Philip Glass

What about knife or knives?
Markcz

Philip, that's an impressive list of gear.

Any PH should have a top of the range flash light.

What about knife or knives?
Markcz
For the most part my leatherman is my knife. I do have a browning skinning knife that I like that is all steel with a skeletonized frame.
Philip

Great list Philip, including things folks often likely don't think about.

I can't find my silly NC headphones and am going to have to get new ones or go without... grrr...

I would not use another bino harness except Rick Young Outdoors because it is so versatile and light weight. They are so inexpensive everyone should try one out! He always has a booth at DSC.

And I have to second this.

Rick caught me in the aisle three years ago while I was waiting on someone. I politely listened and thought they were another "sounds great at the show gadget." He did such a great job selling that I bought a set anyway, and they were cheap.

I'm with you. I can't imagine anything else. Versatile, light, compactly and even that first set has never stretched. They are a great inexpensive gift for a PH as well. Something that is usable.

The headphones are a must. As you said I will not travel without them. I was on a long haul flight with my wife last year and she had never been on a flight more than 3 or 4 hours. I put on my headphones shortly after takeoff and she woke me after I had been asleep for almost 6 hours. She claims it was to make sure I was OK but I still believe it was because she was jealous.

The Wife !!!!
Without this bit of kit I wouldn't be allowed back to Africa.
Just a thought .

Zeiss lens cleaning wipes
Barricade gun wipes
Swarovski winged eyecups

My e-book, to endure flights and long waits at airports.

I am going to go low tech here. A tube of Desitin. After 3 safaris in the Selous with long hikes and heat, the chaffing was a real problem. On the first elephant hunt, my PH got it so bad he actually tried putting duct tape over the chaffing. My hunting buddy tried lip therapy balm, and I plain ran out of baby powder. Desitin will forever be with me regardless of where I go.

An old school safari vest, much better than a small pack IMO for carrying all the small stuff you carry.

My iPhone 6 which I used for communication and pictures.

Great list Philip, including things folks often likely don't think about.

I can't find my silly NC headphones and am going to have to get new ones or go without... grrr...

And I have to second this.

Rick caught me in the aisle three years ago while I was waiting on someone. I politely listened and thought they were another "sounds great at the show gadget." He did such a great job selling that I bought a set anyway, and they were cheap.

I'm with you. I can't imagine anything else. Versatile, light, compactly and even that first set has never stretched. They are a great inexpensive gift for a PH as well. Something that is usable.
Oh you can't go without NC headphones in transatlantic journeys!

I'd like to add a roll of 1 1/2" athletic tape. I've backpacked over 75 times from two to twenty one days. Backcountry ski camped. Climbed several 14ners. And hiked a lot. I find this comes in very handy for potential blisters, but you need to recognize a hot spot before it blisters.
I've splinted a ladies broken arm from a back country mountain bike ride. Covered my rifle muzzle in a snowstorm. Made a hanger to support a pan of water over a fire. Patched a bike tire. Strengthened a sprained wrist. And I'm sure many other things I just can't recall.
A fresh roll goes on every trip.

good pair of sunglasses, scentless sun screen & chap stick

Swarovski CL 10x30 Binos with Rick Young Bino Harness: These handy little binos have served me very well with their great glass and light weight. I would not use another bino harness except Rick Young Outdoors because it is so versatile and light weight. They are so inexpensive everyone should try one out! He always has a booth at DSC.

Just saw Rick this afternoon at TTHA in Ft. Worth.. Listened to the pitch, watched the demonstration, and remembered you making a couple of posts about how much you like his harness... so I picked up 3 of them (1 black, 1 orange, and one olive drab).. Im trusting you Philip! :D

Just saw Rick this afternoon at TTHA in Ft. Worth.. Listened to the pitch, watched the demonstration, and remembered you making a couple of posts about how much you like his harness... so I picked up 3 of them (1 black, 1 orange, and one olive drab).. Im trusting you Philip! :D

They are great on my Nikon Monarch 7 in 8x30, but suck on my Swarovski 10x42. Just too heavy a bino.

I just put them on a set of 8x30 leupolds that I'm planning on using this deer season... they seem like they will work well.. but they've been rigged up all of 2 hours and worn less than 5 minutes at this point.. will know more soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darrell572

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg