My experience last week in SA with 4457 and SAPS form

Speedster

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Just got back home today from a hunt with Limcroma Safaris. Will post a hunt report later but wanted to give my experience on traveling with a rifle. On the 4457 form I had recently started a thread asking about the number line in the uppper left hand side of the form. Several people commmented on what to do. I left mine blank and had no issues in SA or coming back to the US. As far as the SAPS form, I did it myself although almost everone I saw in the SAPS office had theirs pre-approved. It took maybe 10 minutes longer for me than the pre-approved people so it was basically a non-issue. No judgement for either method, just my personal experience. On coming back to the US, we had a short layover so I was concerned I might miss the flight with having to get the rifle checked in but they were very fast and this time. The old office is currently closed so you have to go the the other side of the baggage area but there was no line and they were very efficient. If you are not sure where to go just ask an offical in the baggage claim area and they will point you in the right direction. Hopefully this will stay that way.

Great. Glad it worked well for you.

Which airport did you return to in the US ?

We flew Delta from Joburg to Atlanta. The only issue was my rifle did not make it on the flight from Atlanta to St. Louis. It made the next flight and was delivered to the house about 2 hours later.

That’s good to hear. It boils my p##s that you have to either graft someone or engage somebody to perform a service that should be duly processed by the parties concerned.
Anyway I’m having a great time in Namibia currently where clearing a rifle took 25 minutes, 20 of which were queuing. The police in the airport stored our rifles while we spent 5 days between Etosha, Damaraland, Henties Bay, Swakopmund and Windhoek.
Ps, the R25 was just short of $50 a tub.

IMG_2326.jpeg
IMG_2366.jpeg
60377005-05ae-475d-a6c8-4a04f7b4c023.jpeg
IMG_2402.jpeg
IMG_2385.jpeg
IMG_2377.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
How was the hunt with limcroma? My grandson leave the first of July to hunt with them.

How was the hunt with limcroma? My grandson leave the first of July to hunt with them.
Great other than it stormed 3 different times. So much for the dry season. I will be writing a report in a couple weeks. Any questions, let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross