My exciting transition from rifle to bow hunting after 34 years

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Africa' started by SURE SIGHT, Dec 12, 2019.

1. SURE SIGHT

SURE SIGHT SPONSOR Since 2019 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    My exciting transition from rifle to bow hunting after 34 years: By Karel.

Karel 1.jpg

I’ve been hunting with a rifle since the age of about eight years old, and spent a lot of time with my dad in the bush, where he taught me the values of life and how to hunt. He taught me about respecting the animals and the bush, which we so often take for granted. Part of my lessons with my dad were safety, and how to handle a firearm. We hunted every year as often as we could, so I had a great time growing up and hunting.

Now that I am 42 years old, by simply putting the crosshairs on the hunted animal and pulling the trigger on a rifle, doesn’t do it for me anymore. I don’t feel the excitement, or my heart pumping in my head like I used to feel. The challenge of rifle hunting has unfortunately disappeared. It got to a stage that I went hunting just because there were annual hunting trips pre booked. I went on the last couple of hunts just because my friends were going and I felt obliged to go.

I bought a bow two years ago, thinking I would be able to try and bring the excitement back into the hunt by using a bow. I started off shooting up to 50 arrows a day practicing as often as I could, but I never had enough confidence to do an ethical walk and stalk hunt with a bow. This year, while hunting with a rifle, I specifically went out on a walk and stalk to see how close I could get to my quarry. I didn’t shoot anything, but after 2 days and more than 30Km, I knew that with a reliable set-up, I would have had an awesome hunt with a bow. I spoke to the PH, Nickus an avid bow hunter from Wilton Valley Hunting Safaris where we were hunting, and suggested that I would like to give it a try with a bow.
    The next day, Saturday, after many practice shots, we went out with a bow to quite a busy hide. Within half an hour I had an opportunity on a pig, and could not even draw the bow, the adrenaline rush (Bokkoors) was so intense that I was even shaking. This shot would have been a formality with a rifle. That afternoon I knew this is what I needed to do, but lacked the confidence hunting with a bow.

When I got home, I took my bow out and started practicing with my 5 pin sight, after three weeks I was still not fully confident or accurate with the set-up of my sight. I was going hunting the coming weekend and started doubting if this would even happen. I had seen the Sure Sight (a locally developed and manufactured product) at Wildebees hunting and accessory store where I bought my arrows. I heard how amazing this sight was (it is an automatic bow sight that ranges the distance to your target and automatically presents the correct shooting pin to you ) I called them up and arranged a test run with the sight.

[​IMG]

What happened next totally blew me away. I could not believe it, after about 20 minutes to set up the Sure Sight, I was shooting 4-inch groupings from 20 to 70 yards, which I could never dream of before. The sight is easy to use, easy to set-up and deadly accurate.
    All of a sudden I was filled with confidence, and knew this is what I needed to complete the bow hunting package.
    The afternoon of the first day out, I had the privilege of feeling the blood rush and my heart pumping in my head when I confidently went to full draw on a 25,1/4 inch Impala ram at 30 yards. It was a great shot, “double lung heart” and exactly where I positioned the little blue shooting dot. The speed and ease to range, aim and shoot, using the Sure Sight, gives you supreme confidence to hunt with a bow. Since then, in this year I have confidently hunted Waterbuck, Pigs and Impala. I would say that having the security and confidence when using Sure Sight, and knowing that after ranging, where you put your clear, tiny blue shooting dot is where the arrow will hit. Sure Sight is the key, which gave me back the adrenalin and absolute confidence to achieve this.

Now, when you walk and stalk with a bow, you don’t have to waste time, or separately carry and use a range finder, and then adjust your sight or take a chance on a fixed pin in the excitement of the hunting moment. Sure Sight gives you the opportunity to now Ethically and consciously put your rifle away.

You can now go out there with a bow, experiencing that old adrenalin rush that you felt on your very first hunt. The sight also has the instant and unique ability to switch between various weighted arrows. So, if you are, for instance, stalking an Impala with a +/- 450 grain arrow and you come across a herd of Eland, you can immediately switch to your +/_ 700 Grain arrow, and within 2 seconds have changed your set-up with pinpoint accuracy and total confidence.

Thank you, Sure Sight, for such an awesome, easy to set up and use product, that has now allowed me to make the transition after 34 years, from boring rifle to exciting bow hunting. You have changed my life to want the excitement back to hunt again.

Karel 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2019
    Johan De Jager and Alchemist like this.

2. SURE SIGHT

Video/Photo:
    [​IMG]

3. Décio

Décio AH Member

Great! How close do you get from the game to shoot? Do they run away sometimes?

4. SURE SIGHT

Video/Photo:
    Hi Decio
    The above testimonial comes from one of our clients, but he did tell me he has taken from various distances, it depends on the surroundings and wind flow. But the point is that with a sight like this your chances are much greater i.e. you don't need to waste time ranging and adjusting and at the same time eliminating movement.