ianevans

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
zambia, SA, sweden ,USA ,Scotland zimbabwe
My Elephant Hunt

watermark.php

I have dreamed of hunting elephants for over 30 years,in 1988 i was lucky enough to hunt buffalo and sable etc in Zambia which only served to whet my appetite. after another buff in SA and a heap of plains game my friend douglas and I planned our latest hunt ,he wanted a 45" buff and I wanted an ele, we arrived in Klasserie PNR last end of september and started our quest, After 5days and over 1300 buffalo and 250 ele's we still hadn't shot then we found our first shootable bull ele , we tracked him for almost 8 hours and ended up being 20 yds from his young companion who was shovelling red earth wuth his front foot and blowing it aover his back with his trunk we were standing beside a tree watching this and scarcely breathing as he was so close ,then he started to search the wind with his trunk as he must have sensed our closeness, then he just quietly turned and walked away taking our big fella with him.such is hunting, i could have done a snatch shot at 80yds but not for my first one. the next day saw us back on the tracks as usual looking what I love about Africa is the variety of animals one see's whilest hunting,we saw all the big 5 and some rather rare animals ie pack of hunting dogs plus there 6 puppies.-then we saw another big bull and his younger friend feeding in some thick bush, we drove of about half a mile and very quietly stalked back to where they were, after about half an hour we were very close and the PH said he was a shootable bull. fortunately the younger one fed off 100yds to one side. we carefully manuvered ourselves in position and waited for the bull to emerg from behind a thick bush he was feeding on. now for the last 6 months i had been studying ele brain shots-Ron Thomson's book Mahoboho is invaluable, also i had been snap shooting with an air rifle a 1.5x2" bit of metal 11" high to improve my muscle memory- now was the moment of truth ,as he was walking i remember thinking a side brain shot- no problem- then just as i was squeezing the trigger he saw us and spun round to face us. many swear words,i can vividly remember saying to myself -where's the brain where's the cheekbone find the brain i was just going to shoot when he moved his head , Christ recalculate then when i thought everything was right i squeezed of the 416( this all took about 5 seconds) as the rifle came out of recoil i saw his back legs buckle and i knew he wasn't going anywhere.the PH put a 458 lott into his chest and i put 2 more into his head to make sure. I had my ele 30 down yds away, we then had to run off as his companion came rushing over to see what had happend. after about 15 minutes he moved off and i was able to go and see my ele, he was magnificent however i wasn't prepared for the emotions that came over me i'm 55 and not ashamed to admit that i cried over my ele .The whole hunt was a magnificent experience, Douglas got a 44" buffalo the next day, and were busy planning the next trip and i'm saving up for another ele.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Attachments

• 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    785.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 130
  • 082.jpg
    082.jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent trophy, Ian!! I can't imagine seeing 1300+ buffalo and then another 250 elephant!

Thanks Ian! Great pictures too.

Where did the hunt take place?

What a great accomplishment! thanks for sharing.

Where did the hunt take place?

Tom.......in his story Ian said they were at Klaserie PNR. As far as I know that is one of the large private nature reserves that run along the border of Kruger Park. I am sure someone will correct me if I am off base on this.

Congratulations Ian , great Trophy Bull , the 416 certainly did justice. Nice photos & hunt report , thanks for sharing .....

Monish

congratulations,
What a great story to read, hope you get the opotunity to hunt another one
And great photos to

Hi Tom the hunnt was in Klasserie PNR

Ianevans,

Great post. I really enjoyed reading it. Congratulations.

- browningbbr

Beautiful trophy, great story. I'm glad you made the elephant hunt happen for yourself.

Congratulations Ian , great Trophy Bull , the 416 certainly did justice. Nice photos & hunt report , thanks for sharing .....

Monish

Dang it's a shame the airline gorillas broke one of the barrels off his rifle! However it seems the other barrel did the trick anyway!
..................................... 8>)
Nice Ivory Ian, Congratulations!

Congradulations Ian, on a great elephant hunt....thanks for the pictures and memories.

Sounds like a magic hunt Ian. One day that will be me hunting the mighty elephant.

Fantastic photos and story mate. I really enjoyed reading your article, it really got my blood pumping.

Lance

Thanks for sharing your experience, and congratulations for your very nice bull.

Congratulations, that sounds like a great hunt.
Good composure and I have Great respect for you doing all that work when you could have just snapped a shot off at 80 yards.
(even with that broken rifle)

Hi Many thanks for your kind words, i've just recieved the tusks (2 weeks ago) I'll try and photo them and post the pics as they are quite magnificent also an ear as a wall mount with a bull ele burned into it. every day i look at them and have a good momment to myself.
cheers Ian

Hi Lance many thanks for your kind words. I've just recieved the tusks and they are quite magnifcent , i'll try and post pics of them also the ear as a wall mount.
cheers Ian

Hi nyati Many thanks I've just recentley recieved the tusks and they really are magnificent i'll try and get round to posting a pic of them
cheers Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg