My Dream Hunt: Is It Possible?

Cgswimmer25

Reaction score
Media
I currently live in Alaska and have managed to put together some incredible and successful hunts on my meager Military pay. My dream has always been to hunt a few of the amazing animals that call Alaska home, the Moose, Brown Bear, Dall Sheep etc. Having had my dream realized here, and my tour in Alaska almost up, I find myself dreaming of Africa and wondering if my "Dream" African hunt might not be just a "Dream", and if it might be possible one day. I have a feeling if I come to Africa once, I will get the bug and immediately book for a return trip. But for now, I plan on coming once and attempting to hunt my target species all on one trip. So.....here is what Im looking for, and please feel free to set me straight if this type of hunt is not at all feasible. I am looking to hunt Elephant, Cape Buffalo, and maybe one or two plains game animals if time permits. I am not looking for record book animals, just mature animals and a good representation of the species. The outfitter/ PH should be reputable with up to date references. My total budget with EVERYTHING included minus airfare is $22000. Is this possible or am I out of my mind?

I am a member of an Alaskan Forum and I always see guys posting questions about affordable Brown bear hunts. Alot of people are under the impression a quality hunt for a brown bear is going to cost them $15,000-$20,000. While these expensive hunts generally produce huge bears, there are many outfitters that offer great bear hunts at less than half the cost of the expensive guys and produce quality bears. This is basically what I am looking for in a African big game hunt. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me! Take Care

Steve

Hello Steve,

I did send you a PM. Welcome to the forum.

Best regards,

Cgswimmer25,

First of all thank you for your service. I would guess you are a Coast Guard Swimmer and one helluva lot braver than most of us.

Tanzania and Botswana will be out of reach on that budget. Zimbabwe could be a possible choice. Most outfitters run about $1000.00 per day (+- a little each way) and you would need to book at least 10 days for elephant and buffalo. Ele trophy fees run around $12,000 and buffalo $3,000. Then there is transportation to the area and tips.

But there are options. One being a trophy buffalo hunt and tuskless elephant. These hunts are offered in Zimbabwe. Tuskless elephant is one of the most exciting hunts you can enjoy. Add a bushbuck and zebra you can still have money for some taxidermy.

This is a link to a hunt I did in 2009 for tuskless and buffalo cow.
http://www.africahunting.com/zimbabwe-hunting-reports/1515-tuskless-buffalo-martin-pieters.html

I am hunting with Martin again in April. Martin Pieters post on this site as Marty. This is his website. Good operation and good guy.

Martin Pieters Safaris :: Omay Zimbabwe Safaris :: Welcome

Buzz Charlton also "specializes" in this type of hunt. His videos are excellent. Buzz is another good guy. I hope to hunt with him in 2012 or 2013.

African Hunting Safaris - Charlton McCallum Safaris

Look at his specials, you can book 10 days for buffalo and hunt tuskless for trophy fee.

You also have the Save outfitters that can work some good deals.

Tim Farren books for several of these guys. I met in camp in Zimbabwe last year and would not hesitate to book through him. He also posts on here as Tim416.

A word of caution be wary of PAC hunts and other specials that seem to be to good to be true in Zimbabwe. Martin Pieters is also the chairman of the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association and can confirm whether a hunt is above the board or not.

Good luck in your quest, but be prepared to spend more than $22,000, because once you go you will return!!

Welcome to the forum in first place and yes if you are going to shop around you will find your dream hunt.

Welcome Steve!

I could not agree more with Mike 70560, I think he recommended some very good Outfits!

Good luck and all the best to you!

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Great info Mike, I will definitely be looking into those outfitters. Right now I am in the very beginning stages of planning and the amount of stuff that comes up on a internet search of African hunting is tremendous. This forum and guys like you who are willing to share info and help out are outstanding and the key to me getting this adventure in the works. Thanks for all the replys so far and good luck on the upcoming season.

Welcome to the forum Steve,
There are enough guys that have been to Africa a couple of times on this forum, and I have no doubt that they will be more than willing to share their experiences with you. I will second the outfits that Mike70560 has mentioned.

All the best in your planning,

Regards
Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois