My Covid vaccination experience

Got the Astrazeneca shot today. I fully expected to be sick and have to cancel some depositions tomorrow. Much to my chagrin I seem to be fine. Who knows, the night is young and I may develop a headache...
Drink a single malt - or that hideous Canadian blend you people drink. All will be well in the morning. :A Way To Go:

2nd Pfitzer vaccine scheduled for tomorrow. I’ve blocked time from my work calendar in the event that it hits me hard. I am 44 and had mild symptoms from the first shot. I also got Covid in December, it is not something to mess around with.
We are flying out on June 15th. I’m glad to be vaccinated prior to going.

Got the 2nd Pfizer a week and a half ago. After the first just a sore shoulder for a couple of hours. After the 2nd one I felt kinda groggy for next couple of days. Then in the middle of the second night the chills and fever hit for about 4 hours. It broke at about 5am, and the tiredness faded by noon. All good since.
I’m so done with all this crap.

Drink a single malt - or that hideous Canadian blend you people drink. All will be well in the morning. :A Way To Go:
I am disappointed, I would have thought someone with your experience would know how to avoid an international diplomatic crisis. It's Crown Royal and it comes in a lovely bag. :ROFLMAO:

But it won't it's just an experiment in control to see what sheep will follow.
If taking the Vaccine allows me to be safer, get rid of the face diapers, and restore my freedoms...... I'm all for it.

With the first shot of Moderna I had very little reaction. On April 20th I got my second shot. This time within an hour the shoulder was getting really sore (think you went out and shot a heavy recoiling rifle 20 times from the bench sore). I took some tylenol and finished the day out, felt a little crappy but nothing serious.

The next morning 21st, I felt pretty good, shoulder was still really sore but everything else was good. Went to work. Almost 24 hours to the minute after I got the shot the wheels fell off the bus. Fever, chills, headache, Tinnitus (always have some, this was on a different level), joint ache, shoulder soreness also now included my neck on the left side. I just went home and went to bed.

This morning 22nd, I felt pretty good. Soreness is almost gone from the shoulder, still have more ringing in the ears than usual but I can live with that. All in all it wasn't pleasant but I've had much worse. I was kind of expecting some issues so it wasn't a huge surprise.

With the first shot of Moderna I had very little reaction. On April 20th I got my second shot. This time within an hour the shoulder was getting really sore (think you went out and shot a heavy recoiling rifle 20 times from the bench sore). I took some tylenol and finished the day out, felt a little crappy but nothing serious.

The next morning 21st, I felt pretty good, shoulder was still really sore but everything else was good. Went to work. Almost 24 hours to the minute after I got the shot the wheels fell off the bus. Fever, chills, headache, Tinnitus (always have some, this was on a different level), joint ache, shoulder soreness also now included my neck on the left side. I just went home and went to bed.

This morning 22nd, I felt pretty good. Soreness is almost gone from the shoulder, still have more ringing in the ears than usual but I can live with that. All in all it wasn't pleasant but I've had much worse. I was kind of expecting some issues so it wasn't a huge surprise.
Your experience of getting "hit" almost 24 hours to the minute after the shot was the exact same experience I had (posted earlier in this thread) on my 2nd Pfizer shot.
I'll admit it sneaked up on me... I was actually getting a little smug - "Heheh, guess I'm not going to get sick with this like other folks" - then it was like a light was switched off.
Sick like I had mild flu for about 8 hours, then went to bed and slept it off, and woke up fine the next day.

Supposedly the feeling sick part is our immune response and a good thing, but it sure didn't feel good that day! :E Shrug:

A good read..........

I had my first one 14 April (Moderna) and all was well for about 4 or 5 days. That morning I woke up feeling like I had been run over by a herd of cattle. Every part of me hurt and my bad right shoulder where I got jabbed was so sore I could barely lift my arm. The body aches left after a day but my shoulder hurt like hell for a solid week.

I was talking with my daughter today. She had her second one (Moderna) last Friday and was fine until Sunday and it hit her. She said she spent most of the day just lying on the sofa hurting and freezing. Advil helped but she said she is still tired today.

I get my second on 14 May and from my reaction and her report am not looking forward to it. But everyone reacts differently so we shall see. Be glad to get it over with.

This weekend I was able to live on the wild side. First time in 14 months my 2 year old was inside grandma n grandpa's house and someone rode in my car with me that wasn't my wife/child.
I honestly an truly happy for you, but when I read a post like this, or exchange a text with my niece or nephew in NYC, it is astounding how differently various parts of the country have experienced the pandemic.

After the initial hysteria abated, here in Texas (and similarly across much of the deep South) we visited friends (even barbequed!), drove places together, went hunting and fishing - wait for it - in the same pickup or boat, and put our kids in school with their teachers in the fall. We began eating in restaurants at 50% capacity months ago, and are now at 100%. Except for deepest bluest Austin where the whimpering and virtue signaling are being desperately maintained, almost no one ever wore a mask outside.

It is even more remarkable how out of touch the Washington bureaucracy and media seem to be with how much of the country is fully moving on from this even now. The latest CDC mask guidance isn't even relevant any longer to large swaths of the country outside the coasts and the Northeast.

None of this is to say the virus isn't real or isn't a threat, but rather it underscores how ridiculous our reaction to it has been. Michigan is going through a real surge as Texas and Florida cases and hospitalizations are falling rapidly. I suspect when all the head scratching is done and the political lens has moved on we will discover Michigan's early draconian lockdown measures were indeed successful in limiting exposure to the virus. They are, I suspect, paying the price for that now.

This will linger into the fall in those same parts of the country. Politicians are too vested in the courses of action they took and can not afford to look like they have had a change of mind. Face and political expediency are far more important than facts.

Of one thing I am fairly certain, SEC stadiums - like Rangers Ballpark a couple of weeks ago - will be filled to capacity in September. Masks will be optional and virtually non-existent. I am fairly certain no one will be asked if they were vaccinated.

Here in Kansas no one ever wore a mask outside. They said on the news tonight Ft. Riley was the only Army base that had in class learning for the whole school year so far. I will say they were pretty strict about mask wearing on base and you rarely saw a military person in a store without one. Still a lot of people not taking the vaccine so may have another winter of this stuff.

@Red Leg thank you

I think there is a 50/50 chance the next few weeks could signal the beginning of having this under control. The rollout of the vaccine was horrific; there was literally no plan at all until February. We have made great strides to where 50% in the US are going to be fully vaccinated in the coming weeks. The problem is we need at minimum 75% to be vaccinated and the hesitancy is strong. Without that, we will never get to the <10k cases a day needed to return safely to normalcy. And we have to monitor the longevity of the vaccine. There are enough people in the trials, elderly, and first responders who got the shot early and a rise in their positive cases will tell us when we need another round; and we all have to get it again.

The biggest and scariest hurdle is the variants. The newly discovered variant suggests it has no response to the vaccine and people are sick for a month instead of a week. There will be other variants. The more positive cases, the more variants occur.

Restrictions are indeed loosening a bit. However, I think that newly found freedom is going to plateau shortly and it will last for several more years. I do not see us getting to herd immunity any time soon bc of risky behavior of the unvaccinated and the rise of variants.

@Red Leg thank you

I think there is a 50/50 chance the next few weeks could signal the beginning of having this under control. The rollout of the vaccine was horrific; there was literally no plan at all until February. We have made great strides to where 50% in the US are going to be fully vaccinated in the coming weeks. The problem is we need at minimum 75% to be vaccinated and the hesitancy is strong. Without that, we will never get to the <10k cases a day needed to return safely to normalcy. And we have to monitor the longevity of the vaccine. There are enough people in the trials, elderly, and first responders who got the shot early and a rise in their positive cases will tell us when we need another round; and we all have to get it again.

The biggest and scariest hurdle is the variants. The newly discovered variant suggests it has no response to the vaccine and people are sick for a month instead of a week. There will be other variants. The more positive cases, the more variants occur.

Restrictions are indeed loosening a bit. However, I think that newly found freedom is going to plateau shortly and it will last for several more years. I do not see us getting to herd immunity any time soon bc of risky behavior of the unvaccinated and the rise of variants.
Thank you for your response. I think the notion that 70% of the population requires vaccination is frankly laughable. The inconvenient plummeting numbers across the South already puts the lie to that thesis. The main problem with it is it ignores natural exposure and naturally induced immunity. Estimates are all over the place, but it is not outside the range of reasonable extrapolation that 50% of the population has been exposed - the vast majority of whom were unaware they were ever "sick" from the virus in the first place. Assuming a 25% overlap in vaccinations among those already immune, and we are already approaching herd immunity across much of the country. There will be outliers in the North and Northeast, but only because of the lower exposure rates among the general population.

A lot of normal people have already figured this out. Our restaurants and bars are full. Our numbers continue to plummet. The same phenomena is taking place in Florida, Mississippi, etc. As I noted, our kids and teachers have been in school - through most of that period unmasked. These are all wonderful positive data points. And all of them are ignored by the MSM or Federal Government because it doesn't fit the apparent perverse need to maintain the fear.

And you really ought to look into the vaccine rollout. It is essentially the same system put in place by General Gustav Perna. Government allocates / states control distribution (to even include prioritization - see NY and FL). The major difference is, of course, the greater quantity of vaccine as the producers ramped up production. But Biden is President and he should take credit - but things would look a bit different without "Warp Speed."

Last edited:
So...we were supposed to be wearing masks outside?

:A Blink:

BWAAAHAHAHAHAH!! :E Lol:
It is frigging hilarious. Except for virtuous enclaves like Austin, huge hunks of the country are moving on. If Biden is politically savvy, he needs to quickly figure out how to jump to the head of that parade before the Republicans bludgeon him with it next year.

It is frigging hilarious. Except for virtuous enclaves like Austin, huge hunks of the country are moving on. If Biden is politically savvy, he needs to quickly figure out how to jump to the head of that parade before the Republicans bludgeon him with it next year.
I wonder what it will sound like when we hear the collective forehead smacking as the masses of the Austinesque population as they suddenly realize they were duped out of using their own common sense.

@Red Leg

The infectious disease experts have been correct and out front in predicting this virus the entire time (sure, it was a moving target in the beginning). The idea the fine folks of Pigsknuckle Mississippi and the other states you mentioned (who btw have all been in the top 50% of states in cases per capita to date) are suddenly the model the rest of the US should follow is sketchy at best considering they are doing a full 180 of the scientists who, again, have been right pretty much every step of the way.

Have those states been doing well as of recent, sure, the numbers don't lie. However, it is because of the combo of the earliest warmer weather, vaccinations, and their temporary immunity bc they all got sick from their wreckless holiday gatherings.

So are those states at 70% herd immunity right at this moment? Perhaps. But we know the antibodies from having covid are only good for a short period of time, and that time from the holiday surge is about to expire. Those states need to keep up their momentum and the only way to do that is to go get vaccinated.

Regardless...we have 2 safe and extremely effective vaccines that are now readily available. I would urge everyone receive it so we can return to normal safely. Safely being the key word

Last edited:
@Red Leg

The infectious disease experts have been correct and out front in predicting this virus the entire time (sure, it was a moving target in the beginning). The idea the fine folks of Pigsknuckle Mississippi and the other states you mentioned (who btw have all been in the top 50% of states in cases per capita to date) are suddenly the model the rest of the US should follow is sketchy at best considering they are doing a full 180 of the scientists who, again, have been right pretty much every step of the way.

Have those states been doing well as of recent, sure, the numbers don't lie. However, it is because of the combo of the earliest warmer weather, vaccinations, and their temporary immunity bc they all got sick from their wreckless holiday gatherings.

So are those states at 70% herd immunity right at this moment? Perhaps. But we know the antibodies from having covid are only good for a short period of time, and that time from the holiday surge is about to expire. Those states need to keep up their momentum and the only way to do that is to go get vaccinated.

Regardless...we have 2 safe and extremely effective vaccines that are now readily available. I would urge everyone receive it so we can return to normal safely. Safely being the key word
You are right. We are merely rubes down here. Why damn, I can't even 'member exactly what my egication is. Wouldn't it be funny if it was as good as - oh I don't know - yours? Just a complete dumb accident all these rednecks aren't getting sick down here. Just damned inexplicable and certainly not fair.

Look, I fully support the vaccination effort. I took mine - not because I believe it was particularly necessary, but because I believe it will be necessary for travel. I suspect others will be useful in the future. But those are my choices and mine alone. If you are vaccinated and want to continue to live like you are in some sort of danger or represent some sort of danger to your fellow citizens then fine. Isolate, wear multiple masks, avoid crowds, bathe in bleach for all I care - whatever makes you happy. I simply would suggest stop dictating to others how they manage their own risks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois