Reaction score
Hi Guys !

I have a questions for a bow setup for Africa hunting.My setup is a follows:

Bow: Hoyt CRX35 70#-80#, now is 72#
Draw lenght: 30.5 inch
Sights: Tru Glo 8pins
Arrows: Gold Tip XT Hunter 7595 black 31.5 inch
Broad head: Slick Trick Magnum 100g

The arrow weight is arround 400g and a kinetic energy is approx 80 ft/lbs because is flying 300 feet/sec.

The questions are:
1; For what kind of animals I can use this bow with this setup in Africa?
2; What change do you recommend for Africa hunting?
3; What change I have to do for a big 5 hunting?

Thanks!

I would say that's a pretty good setup for any plains game minus Giraffe. Have you considered moving to a 125 grain broadhead? Might give a little bit more arrow weight and FOC.

Congrats on a fine bow and welcome to Africahunting.com!

Your set-up is fine for plains game hunting, although I would suggest going with a heavier arrow, in the region of 500gr. You have more than enough energy to justify te heavier arrow. What dangerous game is concerned (Buffalo, Hippo ect) you need to get an arrow of at least 850gr flying at least at 240fps.

All the best,

Engee Potgieter

Thank you guys for your advice and help!

Can you tell me what arrows and broadheads do you prefer for a Warthog,Impala,Zebra,Wildebeest,Kudu etc. ,and what for a big game like Buffalo,Hippo?
Its enough my bow maximum draw weight (80#)for a Buffalo and Hippo hunting?
Thanks!

220 grain German Kinetics are what have been suggested to me by PH's here on AH and also in the KZN research on Buffalo penetration tests.
80lbs is the min draw weight in KZN certainly for Buffalo.
Putting some weight on that arrow and it gets the KE up higher too, I got mine up to 115LB.

Your drawlength is a big help with you general Ke, but I would still milk as much poundage out of the set-up if you plan on going after Buffalo. As I mentioned strive to get about 240fps+ with a 850gr+ arrow. I agree with Tom that you can definitely improve your FOC by going to a heavier broadhead (and heavier arrow). I would suggest a multiple blade broadhead as penetration will definitely not be an issue on you plains game hunts. Therefore you should look at a broadhead that causes the most tissue damage, as is the case with 4-blade broadheads. I put my trust in Muzzy's and you should definitely take a look at their 130gr 4-blade broadhead or one of the Phantom range, which has proven to be devastating!

Hippo and Buff would suggest 85 to 90 + KE.
Arrows of 700 grains ++++
400 grain arrows are fine for most plains game ( wildebeast are tough also )
On Dangerous game Muzzy has made me a 220 grain ( Use as a 2 blade at 200 grains).
80 of even 74 is plenty of KE for plains game.
Used a 870 grain total and 125 head for a 110 4/8 inch .
Would use 2 blade Muzzy 200 grain Phantom for hippo, buff or bison.

Thanks a lot guys!

I think I need to change a arrows and broadheads is wel.
Definetly I will try a Muzzy Phantom 125g 4 blade and a new Phantom SS 220g broadheads.
But about arrows I dont now.Maybe Gold Tip XT Kinetic Big Game 200 black 11,6 g/inch,because I am happy with my currently using arrows (Gold Tip XT Hunter 7595 8.9g/inch)

220g broadhead is not too heavy for this arrows?
Thanks!

You do not need to change a thing if your only hunting plains game. My setup has alot less KE than yours. I killed Kudu, gemsbok, zebra, impala, and 2 warthogs.

Full Metal Jackets makes a Dangerous Game shaft that comes in at 15 grains per inch. Top it with those 220 grain broadheads you are considering and you will be well on your way.If you can get the limbs bottomed out on your current bow, and still handle it well, you will be ready for buffalo and giraffe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg