machinistbutler

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada Namibia
Finally got to pick this one up today from the Post office. Ordered it from a great gun shop ,Prophet River in Alberta. This rifle was ordered in 2014, and shot 50 rounds from the bench since. Once I seen the pictures I just had to have it.

I have read a bunch about AHR rifles and upgrades on this forum, and have never heard a bad word about them. I was a little worried about the 1-10 twist that this McGowen 23" barrel has. Wayne emailed me and the quick responses on this forum to that question led to the purchase.

The rifle came with an AHR fiberglass stock, a VX6 1-6 in talley Qd rings, and a spare set of talley 1" qd rings as well.

Took some pictures on the kitchen table tonight, not the best pics but I have to share. Will try and get some nice ones outside .

I was so pleased unwrapping this rifle. I love CZ actions, and if this beautiful rifle shoots anywhere near as good as my factory CZ 550 in 375 I will be very happy.

PXL_20201125_051312101.jpg
PXL_20201125_051054028.jpg
PXL_20201125_050853274.jpg
PXL_20201125_050945394.jpg
PXL_20201125_051544077.jpg
PXL_20201125_051355095.jpg
PXL_20201125_050921745.jpg

Machinebuster............that is the nicest looking rifle in recent posts. Everything from the stock, grain thru the wrist, fit and finish, and the detail are stunning. You done good..........thanks for posting...............FWB

Great gun! I am also a little puzzled by the fast twist. All .375s I have are 1-12. Let us know how it goes with 270s and 300s!

The theory in using a slightly faster than normal twist rate is that the higher spin rate yields better stability when penetrating/less tendency to deviate from straight-line penetration. Unless your bullet jackets are not up to the extra forces of being spun 1-10" vs. 1-12", then you should be fine. Since this isn't a typical varmint rifle spewing out little pills at 3,600 FPS, I doubt you would have that problem.

The .495 A-Square has a 1-10" twist rate to enhance straight line penetration.

Now you get the pleasure of discerning the unique rules of your rifle - the right load that dampens the harmonics of your barrel (length and twist), load, bullet, bedding, etc.. Each rifle is a law unto itself.

Beautiful rifle.

Beautiful wood on the CZ!

That is a nice looking "shooting iron." Where did the stock come from? I have a McGowen barrel on a converted 404 Jeffery. From what I understand, that company makes barrels for Bench Rest Shooters so I wouldn't worry about it. BTW mine shoots under an inch, I expect yours will as well.

The rifle was built by American Hunting Rifles, AHR, I am not sure if they do the stocks or have them made. Hard to capture the wood in pictures, it just glows!

The order sheet shows the 3 position AHR Safety, AHR single stage trigger, the banded front and island rear type of sights, the oberndorf bolt , the bolt is very nice. The fiberglass stock looks very well done with nice bedding too. Kind of a Jekyll and Hyde side by side with the beautiful wood stock.

Will check how feeds today, hopefully shoot it soon. Sure seems smooth!

I am used to the CZ trigger and safety, so it will be Interesting to see how this set up works.

Craig

Congrats - That is a handsome rifle!

Gorgeous rifle. Congratulations.

WOW, flat out beautiful!!!!

Thanks a bunch guys! I am so glad I didn't procrastinate in saying I will take it. I made up some dummy rounds with some 300 gr round nose . Had a bunch made for my other 375's but of course I couldn't find one. They cycled perfect from both side of the magazine. All my 375 have functioned great though, but none are this darn pretty.

Scope was too far back for the way I hold it so I moved it forward in the rings. I hadn't looked through a vx6 before, it seems very nice. The duplex was quite bold. I still prefer a number 4, but there is nothing wrong with this set up. The Talley rings seem quite well finished . Both sets of rings were finished to match the rifle.

Oh yah! It is unanimous- very nice rifle and set up well! I wouldn't worry at all about the 10" twist. I have a 45 caliber DG rifle with faster twist than what is considered standard. No regrets and would recommend, that in most cases there are far more positives than negatives to a faster twist.

Very nice rifle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross