My AHR Customized Ruger RSM .458 Lott!

Shuter.................................beautiful rifle. These guns are a great value from Ruger. I bought one at an auction recently, in 416 Rigby. NIB for $1100.............the only thing I wanted at the sale. I like what has been done to your rifle. Especially the front bead. Will try to get same done. I think the weight is perfect. I have never owned a Lott, but have had a couple of 458's and found the recoil at 9-10 lbs to be too excessive......which is why I got rid of them. Did you feel the work was reasonably priced? Thanx for the posts...................................FWB
Bill, I think the work was VERY reasonably priced. Rather than give dollar amounts, I'd encourage you to contact Wayne at AHR directly, let him know what you have and what you want done, and then get a quote from him for the work. Due to his reputation, I didn't even ask for a quote up front, but the final bill was less than I expected it to be. The man is fair and honest as the day is long. Good luck!

P.S. I bought the recoil pad, Graco recoil reducer, front bead, and all hardware for the stock and sent it with my rifle. That way, I got exactly what I wanted and Wayne installed everything.

GREAT looking rifle... hope you get much pleasure and success with her!!!

I looked on line but can't seem to find the proper lense covers like you have, where did you find them? thanks

Midway USA carries the Leupold Alumina flip up covers: http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=leupold+alum

They are nice, but expensive. I have them on the rear lense on 3 different Leupold scopes and the objective lenses of two of those (on a 270 and 338). I did not put one on the 20 mm objective (front) lense of my 375 Ruger though. I have a clear, inexpensive Butler Creek cover. Think about it, will you have time to flip open two lense covers, take the safety off and then line up a shot on a charging animals? You could flip over the front cover as soon as you start a stalk, but that defeats the purpose of a lense cover. I can shoot while looking thru the clear cover, if I need to. If I have time, I can flip it open.

One note about the types of rifles Wayne works on is that, although his website is almost exclusively CZ, he said he works on other controlled-round feed actions, such as the Ruger 77, Win 70, and commercial Mausers.

That is some fine work! What a great caliber as well... You are right to be proud of that rifle!

Thanks all for the kind words. Now I just have to shoot it! Maybe next week.

Range day today. Got it sighted in with Leupold VX3 1.5-5x German #4, then these 3 shots at 100 yds. 15 shots on a Lead Sled prior to that. These 3 were from the Sled too, by the way. I got the DFT model for Christmas, and I love it! I used 50# of lead shot and there was virtually NO recoil! The bench top was carpeted, so that minimized the movement, I'm sure. Anyway, I shot a half dozen off of sticks as well, and the recoil is SIGNIFICANT! Load was 77.0 gr. of TAC in Norma cases with 500 gr. Hornady round nose soft point and Federal 215 Magnum primer. Average velocity for 4 shots was 2,173 fps.

IMG_3518.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
GREAT grouping there.. spot on for any hunting. Let's see the trophy pictures now !!!

GREAT grouping there.. spot on for any hunting. Let's see the trophy pictures now !!!
Thanks. Someday on the trophy pics...someday!

Regarding the load used, I should add that the pressure appears to be fine (primers okay, bolt lift was effortless, etc.); but the temp was only about 45 degrees, so I will have to shoot in the Summer before feeling comfortable with the load. 77.0 gr of TAC is max in Hornady's manual with the same bullet I'm using (500 gr. Interlock softpoint that I had on hand). I started with 75.0 gr. and got right at 2,100 (2,098 to be precise). My goal was to get 2,150-2,200 and I'm obviously right there. TAC is also fairly clean burning and not especially temperature sensitive, and I use it for other calibers as well. I'm not looking to "max out" my Lott, just wanting that sweet spot velocity without heavily compressed loads (this load with this bullet is NOT compressed). I like this load, and look forward to trying it with solids and monometals, as well.

Recoil doesn't seem to have affected your aim; nice shooting and even nicer gun. Certainly seems you got lucky on that stock, very nice.

Recoil doesn't seem to have affected your aim; nice shooting and even nicer gun. Certainly seems you got lucky on that stock, very nice.
Thanks, but as I note on the target (assuming you can read my horrendous handwriting - sorry, I was cold and in a hurry), I used the Lead Sled for this group! That's kind of cheating...but it does show what the rifle's capable of. From here on out, now that I have it dialed in, I will practice off of sticks out to 100 yards or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg