Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
Here you are Bob.
The Bearded chef, the nakiri slicer, 7 in chef, 5 1/2 in chef, 5 inch general purpose and the petty with a steak knife (his) to show scale as you have one to use for reference. All cryo treated NitroV stainless except the bearded chef in 1095 carbon. My (and almost all) of the liquid nitrogen dewars for the minus 98C/ 320F have a 2 inch neck so cant get or treat the bearded chef and the 1095 is thinner at .094 than the NitroV at .125 so the bearded chef is lighter and more dexterous in hand with this steel.
View attachment 397544
Garry
Going to want to move ahead with a 8 knife set, 7 and 8 being another his and hers steak knife set;)

No need for any leather if you can ship without.

Now still have to figure out handle material. All matching :)

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Garry
Going to want to move ahead with a 8 knife set, 7 and 8 being another his and hers steak knife set;)

No need for any leather if you can ship without.

Now still have to figure out handle material. All matching
will take this to PM Bob to work through the options. but can certainly send them without leather

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Made some progress on @Dr Rays harpoon fighter today with all the work done pre heat treat now. I made a cutter to clean up the fuller from a piece of heavy spring steel and bent an old file to do the sanding. Quite a few hours to get it to this stage.
IMG_20210414_153418.jpg
IMG_20210414_155219.jpg
IMG_20210414_154036.jpg
IMG_20210414_164558.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
A few pre ground, hardened and in the tempering oven for the first of the cycles. Small AH EDC's a H/S and then the PH EDC's and one "in the salt".
IMG_20210419_151740.jpg
IMG_20210419_154851.jpg
IMG_20210419_154947.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
A little project I have had on the back burner for a while and got a few minutes today between tidying up a couple of other knives. Only got the handle shortened and the rough grind done and had a think about how I will do the handle but think it will come together quite nicely.
IMG_20210425_090229.jpg
IMG_20210425_112404.jpg
IMG_20210425_120218.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
This one is ready to go now and is a one off new design.
The Harpoon fighter has light hamon on the 1095 blade with fullers and false edge and skull breaker.
Double angled brass bolster with 4 spacers and a black liner under the zebrawood handle
IMG_0608.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0610.JPG

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
And another new design for the Grayling Fisherman
four inch NitroV SS blade with Spalted Buckeye, brass bolster and pommel, with lanyard tube for the snake knot and loop lanyard to retrieve from the deep set sheath for seurity
IMG_0605.JPG
IMG_0606.JPG
IMG_0607.JPG

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Had a play with finishing the sheep sheer knife with a trial handle approach. Left the blade unpolished except for the bevel grind but it came up reasonably well so I can do a few more of them this way with nicer wood although this piece of eucalyptus has a little figure that works well
IMG_20210502_143444.jpg

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Had a play with finishing the sheep sheer knife with a trial handle approach. Left the blade unpolished except for the bevel grind but it came up reasonably well so I can do a few more of them this way with nicer wood although this piece of eucalyptus has a little figure that works wellView attachment 399798

Truly stunning. I love the industrial-retro look since you used half a sheer. I bet the steel on that knife is fantastic too. Really nice job. Love the patina too @Von Gruff

Ike85123

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
None
I would like to have any info, if you offer a carving set ? 10" knife and 8" fork would be ideal. But would like the handles to be warthog tusk or buffalo horn.
Please let me know. Thank you

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I would like to have any info, if you offer a carving set ? 10" knife and 8" fork would be ideal. But would like the handles to be warthog tusk or buffalo horn.
Please let me know. Thank you
PM incoming

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I can hardly wait to see my new knife.
I expect it this week and thus one I’ll actually use.
In transit with the airline. Be better if they would say exactly where it is rather than such a broad range of possible places.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
G'day, that's a new twist on a knife.

Did you have a purpose in mind for its use or was it just something you bring to fruition because you saw potential to create something from it?

Page 99, you are about to turn over a new leaf.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
G'day, that's a new twist on a knife.

Did you have a purpose in mind for its use or was it just something you bring to fruition because you saw potential to create something from it?

Page 99, you are about to turn over a new leaf.
If you mean the shear blade knife then not it has been done a number of times by others but so often the handle is really badley done as it is difficult for many to deal with the connection between the steel handle reinforce and the attachment of the wood in a visually pleasing way. I have had a few set of the hand shears for a while with the idea of doing one to see if my criticisim of others efforts was warranted. I started by making and epoxying a piece to fit inside the curve, then making the actual handle and fitting it to both the front where there is one side having the metal angle blade stop so having to fit to that and making the opposite side without the metal the same with the wood and at the same time fitting it to the curve I made at the rear of the steel handle. The pins are angled down and into the main body of the wood rather than the top to bottom bolt that others often use or simple bore a hole in something and fill the void with epoxy.
This is an example of how someone else did one and showed, obviously with some pride but it is worse than rough in my eyes and one of the reasons I wanted to make one to show that they dont have to be ugly, the bevels can be ground properly (this one has had no bevel regrind) and worn tips and heels can be corrected
ss.png

Last edited:

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Some rather nice blister maple on this order with a customer wanting these AH EDC's for his brothers and father and then a Hunter skinner dressed with Spalted buckeye and all in the new design 10* horrizontal carry sheath. The AH EDC's have the lanyard tube with 4 snake knot and bead to assist with retrieve from the sheath but the Hunter Skinner has more blade length/balance in front of the carry point that it dose not need the extra depth (length of sheath ahead of the belt loop) that may make it less carryable than the way it is.
IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0617.JPG

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
These two PH EDC's are ready to go as well.
the first one has curve back buffalo horn bolster and a very nice piece of Koa on the 1095 blade in stamped hot waxed sheath
IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
And another one on the courier has curve back buffalo horn bolster with Giraaffe bone scales on the 1095 blade in the initialled sheath with croc skin inlay

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
And to finish out the days shipping was a set of His 'n' Her steak knives with Burma Camphor burl
IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lisette667

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?