Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
The local Dr is renovating an old home and yard here which had some 150year old Cypress trees that needed to come down and asked me to make a couple of knives with the cypress for handles. Of course the fresh cut trees were too wet to use but her last years firewood pile gave up a couple of dry blocks which I oven dried and stabilised before use.
A 7 inch chef and a 5 inch general purpose kitchenknife will go to her at the weekend.
IMG_20210319_161319.jpg
IMG_20210319_161233.jpg

VertigoBE

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia
The local Dr is renovating an old home and yard here which had some 150year old Cypress trees that needed to come down and asked me to make a couple of knives with the cypress for handles. Of course the fresh cut trees were too wet to use but her last years firewood pile gave up a couple of dry blocks which I oven dried and stabilised before use.
A 7 inch chef and a 5 inch general purpose kitchenknife will go to her at the weekend.
View attachment 393730View attachment 393729

Beauties @Von Gruff !

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Another couple finished
A Light Hunter with Spalted Buckeye over curve back brass bolster on the 1084 blade in border stamped sheath with black dye air brushed edges. Just bought the air brush so liking the effect if adds to the sheath
IMG_20210321_154951.jpg

A field scalpel with antique linnen micarta on the 1084 blade
IMG_20210321_155018.jpg

And another to go in the classified soon. Am going to take a couple of days away so will post that and another when I get back. Girrafe bone over curve back buffalo horn on the 1084 Light Hunter blade in stamped sheath with honing steel
IMG_20210321_154825.jpg

Last edited:

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Nice, I thought Cypress was a type of pine. Is it a hardwood?

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Nice, I thought Cypress was a type of pine. Is it a hardwood?
Yes it is a pine but there are many different types of pine with some being quite soft like the plantation pine of our building industry through to the much harder species. The Cypress pine is a wood that is suitable after stabilising treatment for knife handles.

VertigoBE

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia
And another to go in the classified soon. Am going to take a couple of days away so will post that and another when I get back. Girrafe bone over curve back buffalo horn on the 1084 Light Hunter blade in stamped sheath with honing steel
View attachment 393951

really like the look of this one Gary! Thanks for sharing. What would you be asking for this if you don't mind me asking?

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
really like the look of this one Gary! Thanks for sharing. What would you be asking for this if you don't mind me asking?
Shipped to Brussels by international tracked coiurier for US$335.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
After a couple of email exchanges this design has been excepted for a new knife for @Dr Ray . Going to be in 1095 with a hamon so another new thing to try.
The harpoon figheter is an unusual blade style and with the butt breaker, fuller and the angled bolster with a black and brass spacers to match the spacer under the zebrawood handleit should look rather striking on the 1095 blade with a hamon . There are a few others on the bench to get to first byt this should be on the start list in a couple of weeks.
IMG_20210401_165504.jpg

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Garry, that light hunter with the spalted buckeye is eye catching. I like the air brushed sheaths as well.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Have had an interesting day with the first pair of blades done with a hamon and while it is not as good as some I have seen it is on 1075 just to see if the process worked, so was quite pleased with the result. It was an experiment as there is a knife to do with a better steel for hamons but for a test blade I could alwas sand it off if it wasn't well defined enough but in this case I will leave them as is.
IMG_20210402_165041.jpg

The process I used was to wrap the blade with fine lacing wire and then lay on the protective coating that will slow the quench under the covered area and give a differencial hardening which causes the two tone appearance on the finished blade. In future I will not feather the edge of the coating as much as I did and try for a more wave like pattern but all in all I was pleased with the result.
IMG_20210401_110800.jpg

IMG_20210401_111249.jpg

Last edited:

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Also got a few more ground and ready for handsanding with the two already shown, a PH EDC and an officers knife, another pair of the same with out the hamon then a pair of skinners and a 7 and 5 in chef blades
IMG_20210402_164857.jpg

Have these to do to complete the present batch that are hardened and ready for the grinder. A generalpurpose kitchen, bird and trout the 4 pair of steak knives although 3 pair will go in the ready drawer.
IMG_20210402_164922.jpg

Chickenfarmers

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Kenya, SA, Zim, AL, CO, NC, UT
Another couple finished
A Light Hunter with Spalted Buckeye over curve back brass bolster on the 1084 blade in border stamped sheath with black dye air brushed edges. Just bought the air brush so liking the effect if adds to the sheath
View attachment 393950

A field scalpel with antique linnen micarta on the 1084 blade
View attachment 393952

View attachment 393951
kj.gif

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Chickenfarmers

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Kenya, SA, Zim, AL, CO, NC, UT
Not sure what you are trying to convey with this.
Its a very nice knife, Reminded me of something i saw in a movie. Just don't know how my mind just went to Rosa Diaz knife on Brooklyn 99..... Yeah!! I've got teenage kids running around the house.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
with all the handsanding done it was time to look at handles on those that are not going into the ready drawer.
IMG_20210407_145151.jpg

From the left is some antler but there will be brass guard ad pommel on that one then a nice piece of walnut wover spalted buckeye bolsters koa over buff and gold tassie blackwood over buff. box Elder on the 7 in chef and stunning piece of Honduran rosewood on the 5 in chef. english oak on the general pupose and burma camphor burl on the pair of steak knives.

IMG_20210407_171103.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Some beautiful wood on the way. Spent some time (and lots of $) this morning selecting some blocks for you and your next hand made knife. This is part of the selection with gold and dark Koa, box elder, spalted maple, and hickory burl among them. As always the pic does not really show the spectaculer colours and contrasts that is reveasled when it is in hand but Jason does short videos of the blocks I select, turning them in all directiosn so I can get a full picture of what is offered.
170956917_1083188465516104_3699700486893837728_n.png

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
A descent result for the day. Took them out of the clamps this morning and they are in the handle rack waiting for leather this afternoon
IMG_20210409_094701 (1).jpg
IMG_20210409_162618.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
These all finished up now and off to new homes tomorrow.
A skinner with Tasmanian Blackwood over the CB Buff horn bolster on the 1084 blade
IMG_0582.JPG

A Light Hunter with Giraffe bone over CB Buff horn bolster on the 1084 blade with some border stamping and edge dyed fading on the sheath.
IMG_0583.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SiobhanSau

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?