Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I have said before but it is worth repeating that for those that struggle with keeping a consistant angle on an oil stone or similar then the angled stone is the best option. Set the stone at a fraction steeper than the ideal 20 degrees ( so the crock sticks set at 20 degrees will hone the wire edge off) for the vast majority of knife sharpening needs and a set of crock sticks in place of a leather honing strip will bring very good results.
For my own knives untill I started selling knives which necessitated a change to the unbeatab;e scary sharp system this angled stone was how I kept an edge up to what I demanded of my knives.
I use a fixed blade stanley knife for all my leather work and give the blade 4 strokes on each side on the stone and then 4 strokes on the crock sticks before I start cutting out the sheaths and just recently changed to another blade as the previous one had worn almost completly away over the last 4 years or so. I have seen leather workers reccomend changing the blade every session and while the blades are cheap there is no need to when it is such an easy way tokeep them almost better than new sharp.
I have my set-up screwed to the corner of my leather working bench so I can work either side of the blade easily.

001.JPG
002 (2).JPG

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
@Von Gruff , when are you going on "Forged In Fire" to teach us Americans how to properly make a Knife? I'd love to see a kiwi make a fool of Americas best and brightest 18-year-olds with lip rings.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
@Von Gruff , when are you going on "Forged In Fire" to teach us Americans how to properly make a Knife? I'd love to see a kiwi make a fool of Americas best and brightest 18-year-olds with lip rings.
Mainly because the show is forged in fire and the vast majority on my knives are stock removal so dont really qualify as much more than midling starter ability for that style of knifemaking.

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Mainly because the show is forged in fire and the vast majority on my knives are stock removal so dont really qualify as much more than midling starter ability for that style of knifemaking.
I'd still pay money for tickets to the show.

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
while that show is interesting it seems to be aimed at wankers, as the emphasis is all about killing people.
all blades are referred to as weapons.
and they even test them on human torso replicas filled with blood and pig carcasses.
i see this weapon thing in knives and firearms more and more, and wonder what is creeping into society that makes people so interested in killing people with weapons.
i grew up with knives and firearms being tools, and would prefer to keep it that way.
bruce.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
A few more ready for leather
First is the bearded Chef which comes in at 11 1/2 oz with the stabilised eucalyptus handle. This is the test model and will give it to a local chef for a week or two and get some honest feedback.
IMG_20210228_155722.jpg

This is a PH EDC with maple burl over the buffalo horn CB bolster on the 1075 blade

IMG_20210228_160039.jpg

Another PH EDC with NZ Rata over the bronze CB bolster on a 1075 blade

IMG_20210228_155929.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
And a pair of blades I made from a bar of cu mai I bought in. It has a layer of copper between the 1084 central (edge ) and the outer 1020 layers. Both are for sale.
This one is a Wapiti Hunter Butcher with Maple burl over the buffalo horn CB bolster

IMG_20210228_160105.jpg

This is a PH EDC with amboyna burl over the CB buff horn bolster.

IMG_20210228_155827.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Some more stunning blocks arrived from Texas with Koa, maple spalted hickory, spalted buckeye, ironwood and rosewood with a gifted piece of mammoth tooth. Just a quick pic that dosent really show the quality of these blocks. I have a selection of yellow cedar burl, dark tasmanian blackwood and a few other goodies on order as soon as it is finished processing
IMG_20210301_151751.jpg

fireman

Reaction score
Hi VG
What wood is that fiddleback 3rd and 4th from the left? Which is the ironwood? love ironwood.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Hi VG
What wood is that fiddleback 3rd and 4th from the left? Which is the ironwood? love ironwood.
3 and 4 are koa and while the pic has shine that hides it the 2 on the right are ironwood.

fireman

Reaction score
Some gorgeous Koa there. Stabilized? Whoever gets those will appreciate that for sure.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Some gorgeous Koa there. Stabilized? Whoever gets those will appreciate that for sure.
Yes stabilisted by K&G in the US. They are even better than what the picture shows. Some of the most spectacular I have seen.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Have the first two official bearded blades done with the bearded chef and the bearded cook. The difference is that the cook is made from 3.2mm HC steel (1084) and the chef is from 2.4mm 1095. There is a weight difference with the cook being 400 gram and trhe chef comes in at 320 gram. The cook has slightly more curve up on the blade at the tip for the different chors a camp cook may need it for and the handle is a fraction longer with the lanyard tube. The chef blade is ground thinner than the cooks blade before sharpening for the different uses each may be put to. This pair has eucalyptus handles as they are shop demonstration knives. The local chef is testing one over the next week but is very enthusiastic about the design and how he can use it for a variety of chores. These two are just finished at 600 grit as I am waiting on the 1000grit w&d to come in
IMG_20210308_141908.jpg
IMG_20210308_141955.jpg
IMG_20210308_142024.jpg

Last edited:

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I added a second roller tube to the arm of the small wheel on the grinder so I can use it to clean up between the underside of the handle and the beard on the bearded knives. Has made a difference in the effort and time it takes to work on this area as unlike on a standard knife handle the closness of these two elements of the bearded knife makes it more difficult to work on.
IMG_20210312_101714.jpg
IMG_20210120_145917 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
First Bearded Chef after the test blades and it is for the instigator of the design. A grade two piece of Tasmanian blackwood to dress it. Cheers Jonathan for the idea and the feedback during the process. A 12 1/2 inch Cimeter with exhibition Koa makes a good pair for him.
IMG_20210315_160853.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I made a new knife vise to hold the blades for finishing the handles as neither can be accomadated in the one I do all my other knives in.
A couple of pieces of 2 inch channel screwed into a block of 3x1/2, strips of leather and a couple of blocks for the clamp and it works very well. I can easily work on all aspects of the handle so it is a very real helpfor these style and length of knives.
IMG_20210315_135720.jpg

IMG_20210315_135731.jpg
IMG_20210315_141341.jpg
IMG_20210315_151538.jpg

fireman

Reaction score
It has been a joy to go through the process with you. Don’t get too comfy... I have other designs you may want to look at :) Can’t wait to wield that kitchen machete... Watch out and back away everyone!

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
It has been a joy to go through the process with you. Don’t get too comfy... I have other designs you may want to look at :) Can’t wait to wield that kitchen machete... Watch out and back away everyone!
I really enjoy the developement process and of course trying something new is always a rewarding exercise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdwinEisen

Latest profile posts

AGNK wrote on geoff rath's profile.
G’day Geoff,
Mate, I noticed you purchased a rifle from overseas.... can you tell me the procedure of importing a rifle to Australia from a private seller?
Cheers
AGNK
I did a little housekeeping in my shop and found some .500 Jeffery ammo that I no longer need. Superior Ammunition and Hendershots loaded them, along with AHR (American Hunting Rifles). Several Woodleigh/A-Square solids along with lead bullets in both 535g and 600g. Message me for any details.

IMG_8092.jpg
IMG_8091.jpg
IMG_8090.jpg
IMG_8094.jpg
pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian