Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Nice job on the drop point Von, it'll slide nicely along the belly and legs of an animal. Coming from the country I've had a few Pyne Gould Guinness Green River knives. My biggest concern with a skinning knife was the handle and whether it would slip when the hands are covered in blood and I like a good tang for that reason. Back in the 60's we used to replace the handles with deer antler. cheers
Handle design is as critically important to good knife use and safety as is the blade design and both have had my utmost attention for over 50 years. Micarta with a 120grit finish is a good handle material for wet or cold hands but the knife you show is not my design and one I felt was wrong in many respects which was what started me in my knife obsession starting in 1967 or thereabouts

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Von Gruff, the knives you made for Euan are intriguing. But I am still curious as to why he needs to get them resharpened as often as he does. What does he do that destroys the edge so quickly. Would he benefit from the use of a steel and or a strop? BTW what grade of steel did you use for these knives? Just curious.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Von Gruff, the knives you made for Euan are intriguing. But I am still curious as to why he needs to get them resharpened as often as he does. What does he do that destroys the edge so quickly. Would he benefit from the use of a steel and or a strop? BTW what grade of steel did you use for these knives? Just curious.
He dresses a great many animals and isn't the best at maintaining an edge as in keeping a constant angle with the general range of knives he has been using with a full flat grind and a secondary bevel so hoping that the scandi grind will allow him to touch them up and maintain the same flat surface to the edge. I can run them on the belt grinder with fine belt in a couple of minutes once a month to bring them back if need be. They are from 1084 sheet stock.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Von Gruff, I wonder if Euan has ever seen one of these.
I bought one to throw in my "success kit" just in case I ever need to touch up an edge in the field.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 8.57.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 8.57.19 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 8.57.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 8.57.21 AM.png
    842.1 KB · Views: 18

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I bought one to throw in my "success kit" just in case I ever need to touch up an edge in the field.
I certainly hadnt seen one and not sure about Euan but dont expect he has either. I will pass on that link for him. Thanks for posting it.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Chukar

Gold supporter
Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI DSC
Hunted
USA, Namibia

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
My new hunting knife arrived today. Absolutely beautiful. A wonderful knife. It came with a very nicely done sheath. I cannot wait to use it in the field. Thanks Garry
20210222_171334.jpg

mdwest

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
the wood on that thing is stunning.... well done Garry!

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
Garry has some beautiful wood and he does a superb job making it into a functional knife.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Very pleased with the days progress. Had a length of heavy walled (3/8) 4 x 4 box section so cut a couple of sides off it and after a bit of a clean up can use them to clamp the bearded knives straight out of the quench to keep them straight and leave them in this way through the two tempering cycles so the loss through warping should hopefully be over. With that done and a few blades heat treated it was time to do some handsanding. Two of the blades are san mai so that will make an interesting change. As a way to take the stress from my fingers I made a new handsanding block which allows for the palm and arm to take the load. Gave it a test on the bearded chef and was very happy with the result.
thick wall.jpg

IMG_20210225_165225.jpg
IMG_20210225_165216.jpg

IMG_20210225_161909.jpg

Last edited:

Chukar

Gold supporter
Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI DSC
Hunted
USA, Namibia

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
These would work fine on commercial knives like Victorinox I have used similar. They will get you out of trouble in the bush. The carbide blade will remove material quickly. Well in comparison to just re-honing as required.
If you spend on a custom I would suggest you want to look after it and not wear it down unnecessarily.

The other knives without handles would be a slight weight saving for those Kiwi mountain hunters.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
CBH Australia, I couldn't agree more. I have several sets of Lansky and or similar sharpening gigs and a Ken Onion Work Sharp. Prior to hooking up with Von Gruff I'd been using a Cold Steel Master Hunter. At one time 11 deer had been field dressed using the same knife and it could have gone a while longer. These things(Lansky's Quad Sharp) are not for those that can resharpen a knife properly. But as Von Gruff said, knife sharpening isn't one of his buddy's skill sets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GuyDummer

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.